What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ron Massey Cup / Sydney Shield 2017

rightleftin

Juniors
Ok thks for the info'
I can't understand why parramatta would need to approve a joint venture between Cabramatta and Cronulla , Parra use Wenty . Surely its up to the NSWRL to approve?

Cabra are part of Parra jnr league so they need parent club approval. The Cronulla/Cabra deal was late 2009 and this was the same time as Parra/Wenty was being put together and things have changed since with Mounties getting the green light in 2012 to go with Canberra.

Way back in 2002 Penrith overruled what would have been the first JV between the Roosters and St Marys and instead formed St Marys/Penrith Cougars shortly thereafter.

imgunawin72

Juniors
Cabra are part of Parra jnr league so they need parent club approval. The Cronulla/Cabra deal was late 2009 and this was the same time as Parra/Wenty was being put together and things have changed since with Mounties getting the green light in 2012 to go with Canberra.

Way back in 2002 Penrith overruled what would have been the first JV between the Roosters and St Marys and instead formed St Marys/Penrith Cougars shortly thereafter.
Ok thks again for the info'.
Any ideas on which club will act as a feeder for Newtown in 2018 ?
I guess we'll see more in 5 or 6 weeks when the draws for the SS , Massey and NSW cup are released.

rightleftin

Juniors
The Asquith website states that the club has signed and exclusive feeder agreement with North Sydney for 2018 and 2019. If this is accurate, CBG Wolves or Hills District would be available to attach to Newtown if Cabra and Cronulla do a deal.

imgunawin72

Juniors
The Asquith website states that the club has signed and exclusive feeder agreement with North Sydney for 2018 and 2019. If this is accurate, CBG Wolves or Hills District would be available to attach to Newtown if Cabra and Cronulla do a deal.
I am hearing rumours that next years NSW run comp won't be u20's but will be u23's instead, Anyone else hearing the same thing????

siv

First Grade
I am hearing rumours that next years NSW run comp won't be u20's but will be u23's instead, Anyone else hearing the same thing????

Interesting

I really hope they do setup U23s

Its a much better development pathway

There was a lot of original talk of U20s reverting back to Junior format

Wonder if thats also making a comeback

rightleftin

Juniors
With Chris Yates moving to Cabramatta, former Wenty RMC and ISP coach, Brett Cook will return as RMC coach in 2018.

Tigers1986

Juniors

It's all rumour and heresay at this point. That's to be expanded with the NSWRL mismanagement.

Although the QRL have no updates either.

When Richardson first announced the restructure, it was going to be aligned with the state cups and have each cup be a 16-team league.

imgunawin72

Juniors
It's all rumour and heresay at this point. That's to be expanded with the NSWRL mismanagement.

Although the QRL have no updates either.

When Richardson first announced the restructure, it was going to be aligned with the state cups and have each cup be a 16-team league.
I can't see any reason why the u20/u23's competition would need to be restricted to only clubs with a NSW cup team, which would allow other clubs such as Cabramatta to run a junior club also.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's definitely Under 20's as far as I know, and will revert to the Jersey Flegg name. Fairly sure we'll have a draw in a few weeks

rightleftin

Juniors
If Newtown don't sign a deal with a NRL team most of this years' CBG Wolves RMC team will end up starting for Newtown in NSW Cup.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Jersey Flegg returning as the NSW Under 20's is a great move.

Draws are expected mid-November which is great news and can end the constant speculation on what's happening.

imgunawin72

Juniors
Jersey Flegg returning as the NSW Under 20's is a great move.

Draws are expected mid-November which is great news and can end the constant speculation on what's happening.
I was told the structure of the nsw comps and draws won’t be released until end of November, early December.
U23’s is a better pathway than u20’s.

Reactions: siv

rightleftin

Juniors
Asquith have announced that Brad Horder will be assistant coach to Pat Weisner in RMC while another former Blacktown RMC coach, Dan Cochran will be come on board as a trainer.

rightleftin

Juniors
So if Asquith were banned there would only be 11 teams meaning a bye every week plus someone flogging Blacktown every week. It would punish the competition to have less than 12 teams. The people responsible for Asquith's implosion have been removed. They have signed a coach that will attract a stack of players and they will have access to all the available Norths players not 1/3 as in the previous couple of years. Asquith will be an asset that can throw out a challenge to St Marys and Wenty.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Then it'll be the same as this year. They shouldn't be able to waltz right back in and be competitive after what they did at the start of the year.

imgunawin72

Juniors
Then it'll be the same as this year. They shouldn't be able to waltz right back in and be competitive after what they did at the start of the year.
I think its good for the competition that Asquith are returning to the Massey comp for 2018.
But I think if a club is only going to enter one team in the shield/ Massey comps then they should have to enter the Massey . Obviously if 2 clubs such as morebank and auburn combine to submit one in each comp that works well also.

kbw

Bench
Its interesting that the in coming Asquith coach will attract a lot of players (which I do not doubt) yet he alienates everyone else and manages to get his situations passed around as being the victim as opposed to a number of people wanting his head for his behaviour