What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walmsley

Mark D

Juniors
appears this bloke may be coming to the NRL as early as next season and that Saints are about to sign him if the reports are correct..

I don't know much about him apart from the fact he is a big fella ..

Any thoughts on this guy and his ability?

FlameThrower

Bench
appears this bloke may be coming to the NRL as early as next season and that Saints are about to sign him if the reports are correct..

I don't know much about him apart from the fact he is a big fella ..

Any thoughts on this guy and his ability?
Link please?

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I think there's already a thread on Walmsley. I'm pretty sure I posted it too haha.

Anyway, same thing I said there, would love to have him. Big high impact forward who wants to test himself at the highest level.

willzy91

Juniors
If we were to sign him, who misses out on the bench? I see us signing him only if Thomo leaves, as you would move Simms or Host into the second row and Walmsley onto the bench. Which would leave you a bench of:

14. Robinson/Field/Mann
15. Ah Mau
16. Walmsley
17. Leilua/Host/Simms

Bench
It has been reported that we are just one club looking at him. I saw a post on Facebook but when I went back to see the source I can't find it.

Drakon

Juniors
OCTOBER 31 2017 - 8:38AM
PRINT
Alex Walmsley could be England's next big thing in the NRL
  • Rob Forsaith

England's in-demand big bopper Alex Walmsley will make his international debut on Saturday, with NRL scouts around the country certain to tune in.

Walmsley, the 115kg wrecking ball who topped the Super League for metres gained this year, has attracted the interest of several Australian clubs.

The St Helens prop was forced to miss England's World Cup opener against Australia because of a virus.

But coach Wayne Bennett has confirmed he will unleash Walmsley this weekend, when his side face Lebanon at Sydney's Allianz Stadium.

Tom Burgess, one of many members of England's squad to make a successful transition from Super League to the NRL, says there is a lot to like about Walmsley's brutal approach.

"He's had a great year at Saints, a great couple of years," Burgess said.
"He makes so many metres, he's such a handful to put down.

"I was gutted for the lad to miss out last week and he'll be making up for it ... putting on a show for the Australian crowd.

"Newcastle, Parramatta, Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra reportedly lead the race to sign Walmsley.

Veteran hooker James Roby, who played alongside Walmsley at St Helens, believes his club teammate is ready to step as England chase their first win of the World Cup.

• "I'm confident he'll do that. He's been training very well and he's a big lad. He's awkward (to play against), he attracts defenders towards him," Roby said.

"He runs very hard, he's very big. He's a tough player, he'll give it his all.

"He'll come on and you'll see a few tackle busts and a few big hits. He's all action, high impact."

Jermaine McGillvary, who earned widespread praise after crossing for England's only try in their 18-4 loss to the Kangaroos, has already turned heads in Australia but it's unlikely the winger will join the NRL.

McGillvary's current contract with Huddersfield runs until the end of the 2020 season, while his son is part of soccer club Manchester City's academy set-up.

"I don't think there has ever been interest from Australia so it's never crossed my mind," the 29-year-old said.

"It's a nice place, the best league in the world .. you never say never.

"I'm on a good contract at Huddersfield. It's not for me to put myself out there ... if clubs are interested that's nice but it's not going to be easy for me to get out."

• http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ext-big-thing-in-the-nrl-20171030-gzbfrw.html

willzy91

Juniors
That doesn't exactly say the dragons are winning the race really, just says we are interested as are a few other clubs. The only thing in our favour is having two english internationals already in our side. I hope we can sign him as he's a quality player, but as a dragons fan iv'e learnt to never get my hopes up.

Drakon

Juniors
English giant Alex Walmsley becomes NRL’s most in-demand prospect
Nathan Ryan, FOX SPORTS
October 27, 2017 6:00am
WHEN Alex Walmsley decides to make the jump to the NRL he’ll become the most in-demand player in the game.

Make no mistake about it.

With a year on his contract with St Helens still to run, the England forward already has four NRL sides eager to land his signature.

Watch every game in 2018 LIVE AD FREE on Fox Sports! You can also stream the 2018 NRL premiership — SIGN UP HERE

It’s understood Newcastle, Wests Tigers, St George Illawarra and Parramatta have all discussed Walmsley internally.

“I’m at a stage of my career where the next decision I make is where I want to go with my career,” Walmsley told foxsports.com.au.

“As a player, I want to play with the best and do the best I can. Whether that’s in Super League or elsewhere, that’s yet to be decided.

MARKET WATCH: RAIDERS MONSTER DEAL, KEARY’S ROOSTERS TWIST

22b5fd30676fcfcb2d3dceb854b74e5f

Alex Walmsley of England.
“I want to play international football and I want to win competitions. I’m halfway through my career now and hopefully I can win a few more things.

At 27, Walmsley knows he’s in the prime of his career and the clock is ticking for him to make the move to Australia.

At 115 kilos and standing 196cm, Walmsley is an intimidating presence.

He made his Super League debut for the Saints in 2013 and won a premiership with the club the following season.

In 2015 he was nominated for the Man of Steel award and named in the annual Dream Team, the Super League’s version of the Dally M team of the year.

While he admits a move to the NRL is likely on the cards, he can’t guarantee it’ll be next season.

ca80399fb24c2a64f4009cb9f8add2ef

Alex Walmsley named in the England WC team.
“I have 12 months left on my deal,” he said.

“I’m under contract. I haven’t had any talks with anyone. I’ve not ruled anything out. I’m happy at St Helens. I’m at a stage of my career now where I have to do what’s best for myself.

“I’ve always been open about the NRL and it’s something I’d never rule out. It would be daft for myself to rule it out. I still have 12 months left with Saints and it’s probably something we’ll decide early next year. It’s the best competition in the world. I wouldn’t rule anything out at this time.”

Leaving his newborn son, Atticus, behind to make his debut for England, Walmsley’s family will join him in Australia next month.

Unlike a crucial game against Wakefield in September, Walmsley will be able to play plenty of minutes.

It was just a month ago the big unit left the field in full playing kit to race to the hospital to be by the side of his partner Simone who had gone into labour.

“It was a funny one,” he said.

“I went to Wakefield on an away game and my wife was due on the weekend of the game.

“I was an hour and a half away. It was a fair journey. I got the message late in the second half and I was playing well at the time. I was pretty annoyed I got pulled off.

“I said to Justin Holbrook the head coach, ‘what are you doing? I’m not gassed’ and he said Simone has gone into labour.

“I missed it by a little bit. We got a win and I had a little boy.”

Keeping tabs on the NRL from abroad, Walmsley offered Aaron Woods and David Klemmer’s names as players he keeps tabs on.

Providing he takes the field as part of Wayne Bennett’s World Cup 17, he’ll get to literally rub shoulders with them during Friday’s opening fixture in Melbourne.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/259b8230071c9bc79a0d731041cbbc8d

merahputih

Juniors
That doesn't exactly say the dragons are winning the race really, just says we are interested as are a few other clubs. The only thing in our favour is having two english internationals already in our side. I hope we can sign him as he's a quality player, but as a dragons fan iv'e learnt to never get my hopes up.
Depends whether he wants to play under a decent coach or not.

willzy91

Juniors
Depends whether he wants to play under a decent coach or not.

With the other clubs named, he isn’t exactly spoilt for choice in regards to quality coaches so the fact we have Whiddop and Graham in the side would be a more contributing factor in his decision. Time will tell i guess, but would be a good improvement on the side if we were to sign him.

Drakon

Juniors
FOUR NRL CLUBS CHASE ALEX WALMSLEY
posted by Ben CarneyOctober 27, 2017mode_comment0 Comments
Alex-Walmsley.png

FacebookTwitterGoogle+

Alex Walmsley has become one of the most in-demand players in the game according to Fox Sports.

Newcastle Knights, Wests Tigers, Parramatta Eels and St George Illawarra are all chasing the services of the English giant, who was Super League’s top metre-maker in 2017.

Walmsley was set to make his competitive England debut in today’s game against Australia but contracted a virus earlier in the week and has failed to recover.

The 27-year-old has one year remaining on his contract at St Helens and has admitted he would be attracted by the prospect of playing in the NRL.

“I’m at a stage of my career where the next decision I make is where I want to go with my career,” he said.

“As a player, I want to play with the best and do the best I can. Whether that’s in Super League or elsewhere, that’s yet to be decided.

“I want to play international football and I want to win competitions. I’m halfway through my career now and hopefully I can win a few more things.”

Should he make the headlines at the World Cup, the services of Walmsley could create a bidding war between NRL clubs, with many still looking to add size to their pack for 2018.

Despite this, the former Batley Bulldogs prop says he is happy at St Helens but won’t rule out a move away from Langtree Park.

“I’m under contract. I haven’t had any talks with anyone. I’ve not ruled anything out. I’m happy at St Helens. I’m at a stage of my career now where I have to do what’s best for myself.

“I’ve always been open about the NRL and it’s something I’d never rule out. It would be daft for myself to rule it out. I still have 12 months left with Saints and it’s probably something we’ll decide early next year. It’s the best competition in the world. I wouldn’t rule anything out at this time.”

http://www.seriousaboutrl.com/four-nrl-clubs-chase-alex-walmsley-10579/

possm

Coach
This is the signing we need to take care of the fatigue and burn out the Dragons witnessed last year. A first grade rotation of:

Vaughan
Graham
Walmsley
Ah Mau

Backed up by Latimore, Laurie and Kerr we have the props to go through the entire season in 'power game' mode.

Would be on of the best front row rotations in the 2018 competition. I'd say we have 700k in the kitty to sign him and if Thompson and Macdonald leave, we will have even more to make a final signing of a speedy outside back. If Thompson does move on, we have a backrow rotation of Sims, Frizell, Host, Leilua and Sele.

willzy91

Juniors
This is the signing we need to take care of the fatigue and burn out the Dragons witnessed last year. A first grade rotation of:

Vaughan
Graham
Walmsley
Ah Mau

Backed up by Latimore, Laurie and Kerr we have the props to go through the entire season in 'power game' mode.

Would be on of the best front row rotations in the 2018 competition. I'd say we have 700k in the kitty to sign him and if Thompson and Macdonald leave, we will have even more to make a final signing of a speedy outside back. If Thompson does move on, we have a backrow rotation of Sims, Frizell, Host, Leilua and Sele.

I definitely agree! And to be honest, I would look internally for our speed. We have some really promising young talent with plenty of speed to burn. The likes of Lomax, Marsters, Sailor, Field all need to push themselves to the limit in preseason. If that doesn’t work we go for a Winger mid season or wait for someone like Cotric who is available in 2019. Unfortunately there is really not many wingers plenty of speed on the market right now, at best we snag a player who isnt wanted by their club due to salary cap issues.

Life's Good

Coach

Vaughan
Graham
Walmsley
Ah Mau

It’s only of value of SuperCoach can work out how to effectively rotate the bench ie. use all 4 selected.

willzy91

Juniors
Shock horror a positive thread now tainted with negativity. Leave your i hate Mary comments in the one thread please.

Latest posts