What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did you become a Dragon's supporter?

Saint Dave

Juniors
Interested to know how all us Dragon tragics started following this great team.

My passion was created by my father. I Have followed them since the day I was born, many many years ago.
Interestingly my Dad loved the game but didn't follow a particular team. That all changed when his cousin signed with St.George in the early 60's. I guess Dad signed with them as a supported at the same time. He is now 80 and still sits in his recliner with a Dragon's cover over it watching every game.

As supporters, I feel we are all part of the dragon family, that's probably why there are so many arguments on here.
This question may have been covered before, if so I apologize. I am just interested to know how we became a supporter and ended up on this forum.

SBD82

Coach
I was a steelers supporter. So when the JV started it was a natural transition. I basically kept following the players.

As to why I became a steelers supporter, it was a near thing. I was very young and at the stage where kids pick a team. My old man played league, union and afl so he wasn't passionate about following anyone. My older brother supported the tigers at the time (both my brother and my dad are now dragons supporters because I gave them no choice, but that is another story).

So since I was the little brother I started liking the tigers too. They had a great team at the time and I was a bit in awe of guys like Pearce, sironen, roach, offiah and brasher.

Then I watched a 1989?? Panasonic cup game. The steelers beat the sharks 40-0, despite being massive underdogs. I thought it was the greatest thing I'd ever seen. Dean schiffiliti tore cronulla a new one. I had the game recorded and watched it over and over.

That year I met Andy Gregory when I was playing junior footy and he signed my steelers jumper for me. I was sold. Also helped that Brett Rodwell was regularly at training clinics. Sometimes wishart too.

I often wonder what would have happened if I'd stayed a tigers supporter. Funnily enough I've recently moved to tigers territory. I guess 2005 would have been good, but how could I have ever supporter Robbie farah?!? Yuk.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I follow them because of my dad and my pop
Same here plus we lived in the St.George District. I remember asking Dad & Pop..."Why do you always listen to football on the radio" Their reply was... only when the Saints play as they are so good they had to change the rules to stop them winning premierships every year" It was a very easy choice to follow the Mighty Dragons:v:

giboz71

First Grade
1983 - the year they had a play off midweek to make the final 5, beat the Tigers in extra time first week before losing to the Dogs in a classic the week after.

Was only a kid at the time but it was the bravest team I have ever seen. Our current team could take some lessons.

Have been a fan ever since.

JDHD

Juniors
Same here plus we lived in the St.George District. I remember asking Dad & Pop..."Why do you always listen to football on the radio" Their reply was... only when the Saints play as they are so good they had to change the rules to stop them winning premierships every year" It was a very easy choice to follow the Mighty Dragons:v:

Yeah, my pop was from Condobilin and my dad grew up in Orange so I have to assume they just liked the logo or something.

CronullaSaint

Juniors
1970 every morning before school in Greece we would say a prayer and raise the flag. The Greek flag had an image of st George in the middle of the cross. When we moved back to Sydney I became a St George supporter. I didn't know until a few year later that they had won 11 straight. As a young kid I remember catching a train to Carlton and walking to jubilee oval to see tham play.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Born and raised in NZ among a Union loving family I had no interest in footy (Union still bores me to tears). Then in 1985 they showed a Winfield Cup GF on NZ TV for the first time, and I was with my cousins (aged 12 at the time). I was engrossed in the game, and saw that one of the teams had a jersey very similar to my family crest (red v on white). Decided that was my team and it went from there.

BennyV

Referee
I dont remember it specifically, but my mum consistently tells me about it...

Her family have traditionally been dragons supporters, but unfortunately most of her family was killed off trying to flee during the war. She claims they were targeted, but that could be exaggeration.

Anywho, only she and my uncle got away, but he was a complete dick and ended up selling her off to some gang leader - yep, selling her off. Crazy right!
She ended up growing to love that leader and had him kill my uncle (dont want to go into specifics, but it was brutal..). However not long after that, he got into a big fight and got mortally wounded. My mum tried all sorts of medicines and what not to save him, but nothing worked.

Anyway, he died, but during his cremation Mum went all crazy and tried to jump into the fire with him, holding me and my 2 brothers. Worst bitch. But she survived, and straight afterwards, I was born. Been a dragon ever since.

Any questions?
t3dmcap85vft31wezqob.jpg

Lethal25

Juniors
It hurts to admit this but I grew up in the Shire. In my formative years I would attend Sharks games along with all of my childhood friends, I wouldn't say I was a rusted on Sharks supporter by any stretch of the imagination. I would have described myself as a lover of the game at this stage.

After a few years of hanging with tragic whinging Sharks dribblers I realised this wasn't the way I saw my life playing out and made the decision to follow a team who represented everything the Sharks weren't. I wanted to be the opposite of a Sharks supporter as those clowns drove me mental. It was a natural move for me to cuddle up to the bosom of the mighty St George Dragons as they were known back then.

Walpole

Juniors

Her family have traditionally been dragons supporters, but unfortunately most of her family was killed off trying to flee during the war. She claims they were targeted, but that could be exaggeration.

Anywho, only she and my uncle got away, but he was a complete dick and ended up selling her off to some gang leader - yep, selling her off. Crazy right!
She ended up growing to love that leader and had him kill my uncle (dont want to go into specifics, but it was brutal..). However not long after that, he got into a big fight and got mortally wounded. My mum tried all sorts of medicines and what not to save him, but nothing worked.

Anyway, he died, but during his cremation Mum went all crazy and tried to jump into the fire with him, holding me and my 2 brothers. Worst bitch. But she survived, and straight afterwards, I was born. Been a dragon ever since.

Any questions?
t3dmcap85vft31wezqob.jpg
There's going to be some very confused non-Game of Thrones fans after that!!!

As for me, I grew up in a St George household and there was never any question of which team I would support. Wouldn't have it any other way!

True_Believer

Juniors
Like many others, my Dad got me watching footy. But I wasn't really into it that much. Dad coached a local junior team as well as managed the A grade team where we lived. He loved footy and was a Tigers supporter for his entire life.

Anyway, through the years I played in Dad's junior teams on and off, but never really followed the league or had any interest in any one particular team. It wasn't until I was over at a friends house in 92 watching the grand final that I started following the Dragons exclusively. The primary reason was because they were playing the Broncos and all I knew was that Dad hated the Broncos with a passion. From that point on I was Dragons through and through - and to this day hate the Broncos more than other team in the comp.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Grew up in Rockdale (part of the St George area). Dad took me to my first game at Jubilee. Don't know who they played but Johnny King made a 70 metre run and I swear he was no more than 6 inches from the sideline the whole way. When we played footy at school or the backyard, I was Johnny Wittenberg, someone else was Billy Smith, Graeme Langlands, Phil Hawthorne etc. Teacher in 4th class one lesson taught us about the 11 premierships in a row. Norm Provan came and said something at school assembly. No idea what but I remember the school Principal had to stand on a chair to look him in the eye. Moved to Penrith and did my best to cheer on the local side, but every time they played St George it was clear where my loyalties really were. I have red and white blood cells running through my veins. Whether I want to or not St George are the only team I can follow.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
My story is that my grandad played for Sydney Uni in 1920- 21 ( they were in the 1st grade comp back then).
He move to Oatley and became a dragons supporter.
My dad and mum move to Connells Point in 1956 ( good timing with 11 in a row and all).and he played for the dragons in 1960 and 61 in the 3rd grade team and 1 revs game.
He play 5 game only as the team.
It was to hard to get into as you can imagine.
So he stoped footy and back to work.
He said he didn't want to play for anyone else.
I have been going to dragon game since I was born.
I use to go with my dad and grandad.
My dad pass away last year.
But I'm keeping up the dragons support.
I will continue to do so for as long as I'm on this earth.
I also live 15 minutes walk from kogarah

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach

Any questions?
t3dmcap85vft31wezqob.jpg
Bahahaha. I have only one question.

Which one are you?

Latest posts