What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

JDHD

Juniors
Looking at the whole Cronk/Pearce situation I can’t help but be very content that we have locked in Hunt. Imagine this place if we were debating whether to sign Cronk(while he was unsigned), Pearce or even looking at Keary again?
Forward thinking, good fortune or just right place, right time it’s nice to have a settled halves pairing.

Agreed. I've heard and read a lot of opinions that we screwed up in the signing Hunt as early as we did now that Cronk is going around again, but those opinions forget that Hunt was the best off-contract halfback this year before Cronk made his announcement. Add to that the fact that I thought Cronk played well below his best for the entirety of this year and I reckon the Roosters may have made a massive mistake.

Datramp

Juniors
Agreed. I've heard and read a lot of opinions that we screwed up in the signing Hunt as early as we did now that Cronk is going around again, but those opinions forget that Hunt was the best off-contract halfback this year before Cronk made his announcement. Add to that the fact that I thought Cronk played well below his best for the entirety of this year and I reckon the Roosters may have made a massive mistake.

I agree on Cronk and it being a mistake. For all his flaws at State of Origin level, Pearce is a really good club halfback. In any case it will be interesting to see how Cronk goes without Smith calling the shots.

ouryear

Juniors

Hunt = Much better future and investment than the crooked cronk.
Poor poor roosters.

getsmarty

Immortal
Meet Ben Hunt
Thu 2nd November, 01:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra are pleased to officially name Ben Hunt as a Dragons player for at least the next five seasons.

November every year brings in a new beginning for each of the 16 NRL clubs, and 2018 will prove no different with Hunt just one of the Dragons' several recruits for the upcoming season.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/02/meet_ben_hunt.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Ben Hunt
A A
image.scale.thumbnail.200.300.jpg

• Date of Birth: 27-03-1990
  • Height: 178
  • Weight: 88
  • Position: Halfback
  • Rep. Honours: 3 Tests for Australia (2014), 1 Origin for Queensland (2017)
  • Junior Clubs: Blackwater Crushers
  • Previous Clubs: Brisbane Broncos (2009-2017)
  • FG Debut: v Cronulla Sharks, Toyota Stadium, 22/6/2009 (Round 15)

Former Bronco Hunt joins the Dragons for the 2018 Telstra Premiership season after signing a five-year deal with the Red V way back in January, 2017.

Hunt has proven himself to be one of the game's best halves, though at the backend of the 2017 season showed he's equally complementary at hooker where he was duly reward with selection in Australia's Rugby League World Cup squad.

Hunt made his debut for the Kangaroos during the 2014 Four Nations and followed that up in 2017 when he made his long-awaited Origin debut for Queensland.

http://www.dragons.com.au/team/profiles/ben_hunt.html

VodkaSaint

Juniors
Ben Hunt is good at telling fibs, tell us the truth Ben, it was the Cash wasnt it

http://m.nrl.com/new-dragon-hunt-praises-mcgregor/tabid/10874/newsid/115162/default.aspx

St George Illawarra Dragons recruit Ben Hunt says his first impression of new coach Paul 'Mary' McGregor was all it took for the 27-year-old to leave Red Hill.

It must have been quite the introduction from McGregor, who managed to convince Hunt to depart the Brisbane Broncos and give up his chance to further his career under master coach Wayne Bennett.

Hunt has now officially joined the Dragons in preparation for the 2018 season after playing nine NRL seasons for the Broncos.

He will be at St George Illawarra until at least the end of the 2022 season with an option in his favour to extend his contract another year.

He may no longer be a Bronco, but Brisbane will always hold a special place in Hunt's heart, with the club signing Hunt as a teenager and handing him his NRL debut in 2009.

But Hunt is now looking towards his future and a new beginning for his young family on New South Wales' southern beaches.

Talking to Dragons TV, Hunt said he was eager to prove himself to McGregor and wear the famous Red V.

"My partner and I were keen for a change and to try something new. When I came down to meet 'Mary' I was very impressed with him and I'm excited to play under him," Hunt said.

"I've had a couple of meetings with 'Mary' now and he's been great. He's a great coach and he's already been good for me so I'm looking forward to training under him."

Hunt, who finished his Broncos career playing at hooker due to a season-ending injury to Andrew McCullough, will wear the No.7 for the Dragons – partnering English international Gareth Widdop in the halves.

Halfback is Hunt's preferred position and one where he plays his best brand of attacking football.

That was evident in 2015 when he finished equal-second in the Dally M Play of the Year voting after a great year at halfback saw him guide the Broncos to within one point of a grand final victory.

Both Hunt and his new club are hoping he rediscovers that form and leads the Dragons to their first finals appearance since 2015.

Fellow recruit James Graham should help him do that, with the former Canterbury Bulldog bolstering an already imposing St George Illawarra forward pack.

It is this forward pack led by the likes of Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Tyson Frizell that has Hunt excited for his time at the Dragons.

"I'm expecting pretty big things from the Dragons in 2018. I think it's a quality side and hopefully myself and James Graham can add to that," he said.

"It's a very impressive roster so I'm looking forward to being a Dragon.

"As a halfback, having a really good forward pack excites me. I think that's one of the strengths the Dragons have.

"I just want to play my style of football and get back to playing the way I know I can."

goggles

Juniors
I haven't heard that before JDHD, but in any event, I don't think we were ever going to get Cronk. I have a feeling that his going to the Roosters has been a done deal since he decided to come to Sydney. In any event, I'd rather have Benny Hunt. He is going to be an absolute champion for us!

Overseas dragon

Juniors
There can be no doubt in my mind HUNT will play what's in front of him .he's an instinctive type player and THE BIG RED V will be a completely different animal in 2018 .Don't worry too much about MARY and his shit attack won't happen.GO THE BIG RED V.

mickeylane

Bench
There can be no doubt in my mind HUNT will play what's in front of him .he's an instinctive type player and THE BIG RED V will be a completely different animal in 2018 .Don't worry too much about MARY and his shit attack won't happen.GO THE BIG RED V.
I can't wait for the 2nd tackle chip kicks to our sleeping wingers !! Wake the f**k up boys (Mann, Nene) the kick is on early.. Hunts got more tricks than David Copperfield - I hope our sluggish backs are ready for them!

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt ends three-year Test hiatus
Tue 7th November, 04:00PM
A A

1510096926347.jpg

2017 NRL - Grant Trouville :copyright: NRL Photos

St George Illawarra recruit Ben Hunt will play his first Test for Australia in three years against Lebanon in week three of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

While Dragons teammate Tyson Frizell has been rested from playing the Cedars, Hunt has been named on the interchange for the Kangaroos for Saturday night's game.

Dragons prop Paul Vaughan (Italy) and utility Joe Lovodua (Fiji) will play one another on Friday night at Canberra Stadium.

Leeson Ah Mau (interchange) and Tim Lafai (centre) have been named for Samoa's all-important clash against Scotland in Cairns.

The winner of the Samoa-Scotland fixture will secure their place in the RLWC quarters to likely face Australia.

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop has been named at fullback for England, with James Graham in the front row, to play France over in Perth.

Nene Macdonald will play in the centres on Sunday afternoon for Papua New Guinea in their clash against the United States of America in Port Moresby.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/07/hunt_ends_three_year.html

Walpole

Juniors
I can't wait for the 2nd tackle chip kicks to our sleeping wingers !! Wake the f**k up boys (Mann, Nene) the kick is on early.. Hunts got more tricks than David Copperfield - I hope our sluggish backs are ready for them!
He'll need a very big rocket to wake Nene up!!

MILEY CYRUS

Juniors

Nightie will be there in a flash.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Mickey you must be talking about HUNTS kick to his winger ,he was playing hooker 2 ND tackle to KAHU gem of a kick

Life's Good

Coach
There is a thread in the main forum about the number of halves combinations that will change before next season. As I’ve said before, how f*cking good is it that we aren’t watching/hoping something will happen for a change especially when it comes to our 7.

Latest posts