What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lebanon might have the most promise after this World Cup.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
I was hoping the frogs would restore pride in french rugby league, but establishing league in Lebanon might be more important at the moment, so I'm glad Lebanon won. Lets hope Lebanon can kick on with the domestic development. I didn't realise they were in that many schools and university's. Let's hope they can give England a game, might do the World of good back home, maybe even increase funding.
A great read on Lebanon.
http://m.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/41805294

ByRd

First Grade
A great article, thanks for sharing.

I know people have been going on about this Lebanese team being a bunch of Australian raised players etc. but being Lebanese myself and with family back in Lebanon, this team and world cup has reached the people over there and is making an impact.

They have one domestic player in the squad and another four around the team to assist with their skills/development which is only a positive as they will take that back home with them. Also as the article states, those coaches/officials have been brought over to do clinics and courses which again will only assist with the development back home.

This Lebanon team is such a feel good story for the Lebanese community here and back home and I hope people turn out in force tomorrow night and truly create a good atmosphere.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
A great article, thanks for sharing.

I know people have been going on about this Lebanese team being a bunch of Australian raised players etc. but being Lebanese myself and with family back in Lebanon, this team and world cup has reached the people over there and is making an impact.

They have one domestic player in the squad and another four around the team to assist with their skills/development which is only a positive as they will take that back home with them. Also as the article states, those coaches/officials have been brought over to do clinics and courses which again will only assist with the development back home.

This Lebanon team is such a feel good story for the Lebanese community here and back home and I hope people turn out in force tomorrow night and truly create a good atmosphere.
Let's hope they get out tomorrow to the ground. Spread the word , go the doggies.

I like how they've named their team after a tree. It's kinda like the cedar block piru bloods gang who call themselves cedars.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Nice story! I hope Lebanon and Serbia really rise to the top of Rugby League in the Northern Hemesphere. They deserve it with all of the work being done.

I hope that similar links are being made by the Italian national team back to Italy.

Dakink

Bench
How will this performance effect the domestic scene?

Been a great performance and full of heart.... hope the media over in Lebanon run with it.

Dakink

Bench
The domestic scene seems fairly healthy (from what I can read) this surely will give the sport some impetus but more importantly, some legitimacy and the ability to attract government recognition and funds and sponsors.

Last Week

Bench
They have been phenomenal. Played well above their standard.

In saying that, it's unlikely they'll have Farah, Moses and Twal long term.

Burns

First Grade
Is it just down to Brad Fitler's coaching and ability to get the squad to perform? If him and Moses stayed around then who knows?

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Moses is an interesting one. Farah will be retired next time round. Would Moses still be available next time? Probably unlikely to be in the mix for Australia.

Could he be ruled out through Origin selection (with no city / country anymore).

Rabbits20

Immortal
They have been phenomenal. Played well above their standard.

In saying that, it's unlikely they'll have Farah, Moses and Twal long term.
They have a ready made replacement who is gonna make it in the NRL in Adam Doueihi. This guy has the goods.....

Evil Homer

Staff member
Moses is an interesting one. Farah will be retired next time round. Would Moses still be available next time? Probably unlikely to be in the mix for Australia.

Could he be ruled out through Origin selection (with no city / country anymore).
Origin is irrelevant to international RL.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Don’t be so short sighted, the next World Cup isn’t the most important thing. The most important thing is to set the roots in Lebanon ! If these results inspire a culture of league it’s a way more important thing any any player or coach

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Origin is irrelevant to international RL.

That's the ideal.

I thought it's irrelevant to international rules (ie from a RLIF perspective) but being available for Australia was a rule for Origin selection (ie from ARL perspective)??

Unless that changed in recent years.

kbw

Bench
I have a feeling this tournament has been the making of Mitchell Moses. He has been fantastic and I think that playing with these boys from RM and NSW Cup has grounded him a little more.
Parra should be very excited