What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Club Challenge

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think you'll find it's rigged to boost the cash flow of the nrl clubs. They play it in England as that's where it earns the $'s.

I don't doubt that for a second, however if they want it to grow and be taken seriously they need to grow the brand and the prestige of the event down here as well as up there, and that might mean that they have to take some losses in the process.
Playing the games in the same handful of small stadiums in England year on year doesn't grow awareness of the game or grow the prestige of the game down here, and that's where it's most important at the moment if they want the WCC/WCS to be a success.
If the English were really serious about making this an big event (and not just a exhibition game/money grab) they would realise that the NRL clubs don't see the value in it and aren't going to actively support it, and that they have to make it work by themselves, and put simply, the way they're going about it it's never going to be taken seriously in Australia.

It was always in trouble the second the Australian clubs got there asses handed to them last time it was played.

Lol, was it really surprising that they lost last year considering that, for example, the Sharks preparation for the game was to go on tours of London, Barcelona, and Paris.
As soon as I saw that they were doing that I knew that the game would be a forgone conclusion.

You're kidding yourself if you truly think that on average the NRL clubs treat the WCC seriously, there're admittedly exceptions to the rule (Cowboys), but the vast majority of them treat it as a bonding exercise/holiday for the squad and a paycheck.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Didn't the roosters, you know the club with no fans, get 31.5k for said pre season trial a couple of years ago?

It’s a bit an outlier crowd though. You would have to assume that a fair chunk of the crowd were neutral fans there to watch the English side go around. It’s not necessarily an indication that the crowd was pro-rooster.

Life's Good

Coach
If you think it's ok to let this slide you're part of the reason why Rugby League remains an inward looking backwards game taken seriously by just about nobody
Harsh but true. As many avenues to expand the game (reach & revenue) need to be taken. Can’t keep selling a 16 team comp & expect the $$ to keep floating in.

adamkungl

Immortal
It’s a bit an outlier crowd though. You would have to assume that a fair chunk of the crowd were neutral fans there to watch the English side go around. It’s not necessarily an indication that the crowd was pro-rooster.

I think his post was more pro-WCC than pro-Rooster...

LESStar58

Referee
http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...february-16-at-aami-park-20171102-gzdndy.html

Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington says he's hopeful the 2018 World Club Challenge has been salvaged, with the Rhinos to play Melbourne at AAMI Park on Friday, February 16.

The date would also allow for the World Club Series to be held next year, as Hull are taking on St George Illawarra and Wigan meet South Sydney the next day at ANZ Stadium.

"While I was in Melbourne last week I had a very positive meeting with Bart Campbell and Dave Donaghy at the Storm," Hetherington told Fairfax Media.

"We had lined up Elland Road to host the game next year because Headingley is undergoing redevelopment work.
"It's disappointing that can't happen but we now see this as the ultimate challenge."

Hetherington stressed final confirmation was yet to come that the match was on. Melbourne did not want to travel to the northern hemisphere and organised the Johnathan Thurston-Cameron Smith testimonial match for Super League's preferred WCC date, a week later.

Leeds are due to host Hull KR on February 8 at Elland Road. They would then fly out for Melbourne. There are only two Super League fixtures the following week – and neither involve the Rhinos, meaning no matches need to be deferred.

The World Club Series – involving four or six clubs – has been played the past three seasons and looked certain to be headed for the scapheap in 2018 due to lack of interest from the southern hemisphere.

But the decision of Wigan and Hull to play a Super League game at WIN Stadium on February 10 followed by a clash with NRL opposition the following week appears to have saved it – by co-incidence.

"The World Club Challenge has been played every year since 2000 and Leeds and Melbourne have been more involved than anyone," said Hetherington.

"It would be a shame if there was no fixture next year."

Melbourne and Leeds previously met in the 2008, 2010 and 2013 World Club Challenges. Wigan won the World Club Challenge four times, in 1987, 1991, 1994 and 2017.

The Storm were stripped of their 2010 World Club Challenge title for salary cap abuse.

The weekend before my birthday! Let's party!

Saxon

Bench
Still a WOFTAM, but at least this time it might be in Oz, so maybe just a WOFTAM (which is still a WOFTAM, just on a smaller scale)

The_Shield

Juniors
I’m happy it’s likely to happen. I like the WCC. One thing I would like to see happen is the winning team gets home field advantage for the next year. So if Melbourne win then next year it is set in Australia again, but if Leeds win then next year would be in the UK

Perth Red

Post Whore
The fact this is at the whim of the clubs shows how pss weak our games governing bodies are.

POPEYE

Coach
I’m happy it’s likely to happen. I like the WCC. One thing I would like to see happen is the winning team gets home field advantage for the next year. So if Melbourne win then next year it is set in Australia again, but if Leeds win then next year would be in the UK
The whole 'Victoria Is The Home Of Australian Sport' thing is becoming overbearing, they have to be stopped . . . Nick is our only hope

LESStar58

Referee
The whole 'Victoria Is The Home Of Australian Sport' thing is becoming overbearing, they have to be stopped . . . Nick is our only hope

Agreed. I live here and love it but the need to incessantly beat its chest makes me want to leave Melbourne sometimes. Melbourne thinks it's the Australian equivalent of NY FFS.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Pfft, why in melbourne?

Send it to one of the expansion locations (Canada/France/Serbia/anywhere).

The format is perfect for some world touring; "The 2 best clubs in the world compete for supremicy" and its in the off season so no backing up next week.

Why are we so focused in sending regular RL games outside Australia when this game already has one team flying across the world?

siv

First Grade
Pfft, why in melbourne?

The format is perfect for some world touring; "The 2 best clubs in the world compete for supremicy" and its in the off season so no backing up next week.

Why are we so focused in sending regular RL games outside Australia when this game already has one team flying across the world?

Because Melbourne won't fly to the England

Uncle Kraka

Juniors
Pfft, why in melbourne?

The 2 best clubs in the world would have just played in the NRL grand final. WCC is more like 1st vs 6th