What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC TV Rating Thread

DC_fan

Coach
*edit for lack of source*

I suppose the difference when comparing Foxtel viewer numbers to free-to-air, is that unlike FTA, Foxtel is not in every home in the country.

I have thought for sometime that Australia is not the big sports loving nation that we like to think we are. That we are more a big events loving nation. TV ratings and attendance figures I believe go along way to support this. I have no doubt the final between Australia and New Zealand will rate highly. Not because it’s rugby league, or an international game. But because it is a World Cup final. Now if we could only get league fans to think of all World Cup games to think that way.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I suppose the difference when comparing Foxtel viewer numbers to free-to-air, is that unlike FTA, Foxtel is not in every home in the country.

I have thought for sometime that Australia is not the big sports loving nation that we like to think we are. That we are more a big events loving nation. TV ratings and attendance figures I believe go along way to support this. I have no doubt the final between Australia and New Zealand will rate highly. Not because it’s rugby league, or an international game. But because it is a World Cup final. Now if we could only get league fans to think of all World Cup games to think that way.

there is no comparison when its 450K to 90K fta to pay
& certainly when its games involving foreign sides playing , up against our national union side.
wouldn't matter if they were reversed on the platforms , the league would flog union & soccer further enforcing the proof of leagues popularity.
And aussies know which sports we like & don't , no country on earth can be called ... sports loving... in that they tune into anything & watch it, we're no different.

DC_fan

Coach
there is no comparison when its 450K to 90K fta to pay
& certainly when its games involving foreign sides playing , up against our national union side.
wouldn't matter if they were reversed on the platforms , the league would flog union & soccer further enforcing the proof of leagues popularity.
And aussies know which sports we like & don't , no country on earth can be called ... sports loving... in that they tune into anything & watch it, we're no different.

Not denying that league is more popular here then both Union and Soccer combined. Just saying that their their is approximately 25 million potential fta viewers in comparison to the much smaller numbers with access to Foxtel.

Sports fans attend and tune into what attracts them at any given time, and that is usually a big events. I think the Olympics back in 2000 proved that. If Australia had soccers World Cup played here, their crowds and TV ratings would destroy RLWC17 figures. Not because we are bigger Soccer fans then league, we are not, but because it would be a big event and we would see 30 or so of the worlds top soccer nations playing.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Thanks!

That seems excellent (especially for for something on 7Mate), yes?

So they are higher figures than last Sat, yes? (want to make sure we're comparing apples with apples)

Jim from Oz

Juniors
ok now have found the 5 metro score from last week to compare:

Mediaweek‏@MediaweekAUS
Sat TV #RLWC2017#7mate#PNGvWAL 130k (Syd 57k Mel 18k Bri 38k Ade 5k Per 12k)

Mediaweek@MediaweekAUS
Sat TV #RLWC2017#7mate#NZLvSAM 249k (Syd 110k Mel 20k Bri 90k Ade 7k Per 22k)

Mediaweek‏@MediaweekAUS
Sat TV #RLWC2017#7mate#FIJvUSA 245k (Syd 98k Mel 30k Bri 89k Ade 8k Per 20k)

So 5 metros on the first Sat combined was : 624k

5 metros on the second Sat combined was : 710k

So ratings increased week on week.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Last edited: