What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did you become a Dragon's supporter?

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
My friend Mark Shulman came and had lunch together after the first grandfinal draw he was on crutches, Ray price kneed him,I don't think he ever played again,he was a great half,
Yes I think he suffered kidney damage and never played again.....sat on the bench and watched our boys win the GF replay 22 to 0 ....Mark himself would be the best person to confirm this

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Me to mate at Bendix Technico...aeronautical section in West Botany St

Spent quite a bit of time in and around West Botany St. ( Industrial Factories ) mid to late 70's.
I had a panel van and at the time, putting bubble windows in and other accessories on was all the norm.
Conclusion - Spent the cash, got the ............

Ok, let's keep it tidy here.
Yes, good times had by all.

Frank Facer

First Grade
did you your dad go home broke.
That post came out wrong. I was going to write how I became a Saints fan, but did not finish and post it. I then replied to ALSGI and the other post was in it.

The day I wore my Saints jersey to Derby day would have been in the naughties and my dad was not there that day either

Reactions: jak

Frank Facer

First Grade
I was born in King George the V hospital.

I was in 2nd class in 1979. we lived in Earlwood and I went to Undercliff Public school. Earlwood is on the border of Canterbury and St George. It is part of Canterbury council, but Earlwood Saints junior footy club is part of the St George juniors. In 1979 I can not remember ever seeing a game of footy, my dad was not a footy fan. The Grand Final was between St George and Canterbury and the hype had engulfed our class. It was like everyone in the class was either going for Saints or Canterbury and I had to pick a team. My mates parents were Canterbury fans and his mother took my mate and myself to Kogarah and Campsie to show us the shops. It was like every single shop in Kogarah was done out in Red and White(maybe it was those Rosetta's that someone else mentioned earlier), while every single shop in Campsie was done out in Blue and White. Myself and my mate picked Saints and they won the Grand Final. That was it, we were both fanatical Saints fans for the rest of our lives.

jak

Bench
That post came out wrong. I was going to write how I became a Saints fan, but did not finish and post it. I then replied to ALSGI and the other post was in it.

The day I wore my Saints jersey to Derby day would have been in the naughties and my dad was not there that day either
all good mate

Drakon

Juniors
Grew up in Hurstville, went to De La Salle Kingsgrove, first ever beer at the Grove Inn.
Also worked at the RSL next to the old school.
First GF 1960 v Easts.
I also asked a beautiful lady to dance at Saints Leagues Club years ago and we are still married.
FACT
CC
Forgot to say in my earlier post - met my wife at Saints Leagues in 1980 and we are still married too!

My dad was not a Saints follower, but other things were stacked against me.
Being:
Born and bred in Noble street and
Schooled at Marist Bros Kogarah (from yr4 or 5).
What chance did I have.

Back then Noble St was all houses - no home units.
And it was about 1.5Km or so walk to Jubilee.
Not that they played there all that often - due to the SCG match of the day thing.
But when they did I could walk there with friends from the ‘hood.
And occasionally kids were allowed to sit inside the fence, during the game.
Imagine that!!??
On those days (sitting inside the fence) there was one hell of a battle to get a fragment of cardboard corner post, after the final siren.

And MBK - as others have mentioned it was a crazy league school.
The year Saints played England at the SCG, we were given a half day holiday - presumably so the Brothers could go to the game.
I went in there as well with school friends.
We went to the game full of school boy optimism.
And returned with a harsh dose of reality.

There have been many days like that since.
But - like everyone here - the fire still burns.

Bring on 2018.

hod

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Grew up in Hurstville, went to De La Salle Kingsgrove, first ever beer at the Grove Inn.
Also worked at the RSL next to the old school.
First GF 1960 v Easts.
I also asked a beautiful lady to dance at Saints Leagues Club years ago and we are still married.
FACT
CC

Como................. that makes two of us!
Still happily married but the high heel platform shoes and tight pants have long gone .......... bit like the hair!

Dragon Blood

Juniors
As a young lad I wasn't really into sports, born at RPA and parents lived in tiny terrace in Newtown. My uncle in Erskiville was a mad Newtown fan and my cousin followed Manly.....anyway I was over their place one night and they were wAtching the Amco cup cos Newtown were playing St.george I think it was late 70's. Anyway Saints belted Newtown that night and I was a fan and hooked on RL from that night on.

When baby bro came along the oldies decided to move to a bigger home in the burbs, Sth Hurstville/Blakehurst. The new next door neighbour was coaching a juniour Allawah Mapies team in which his kid played in and asked if I wanted to play. The rest is history

Dragon Blood

Juniors
As a young lad I wasn't really into sports, born at RPA and parents lived in tiny terrace in Newtown. My uncle in Erskiville was a mad Newtown fan and my cousin followed Manly.....anyway I was over their place one night and they were wAtching the Amco cup cos Newtown were playing St.george I think it was late 70's. Anyway Saints belted Newtown that night and I was a fan and hooked on RL from that night on.

When baby bro came along the oldies decided to move to a bigger home in the burbs, Sth Hurstville/Blakehurst. The new next door neighbour was coaching a juniour Allawah Mapies team in which his kid played in and asked if I wanted to play. The rest is history

pS Great thread SD

Latest posts