What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lomax Eyes Centre Spot

Drag Queen

Bench
But simply not elusive in general play....runs hard and straight like a lock.

How many tries in the past 3 years?
Not bloody many, i have more fingers than duges has tries.
Fair enough. I'm not too bothered about the FB scoring tries. At least we got in the vicinity of being able to score them.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Harsh comparison. Gasnier, IMO, was the most naturally talented footballer that's come through the JV era. If his passion for the game matched his talent, I've no doubt he'd be spoken of in the same sentence as Slater, Thurston and co as modern greats.

If Lomax has near that sort of talent, he'll be a special player. But yes, very young. Best case, he should be eyeing breaking into first grade in the second half of the season, either on the wing or at centre.
I say start with Lomax as one centre and if it doesn't work, then we can think of Aikten and Mann. If it does work, then Lomax will be the best centre at our club. If we start with Aikten and get off to a good start, then chances are that Lomax won't be given the opportunity next year.

Crush

Coach
I say start with Lomax as one centre and if it doesn't work, then we can think of Aikten and Mann. If it does work, then Lomax will be the best centre at our club. If we start with Aikten and get off to a good start, then chances are that Lomax won't be given the opportunity next year.
I think Aitken has potential, more than Lafai. I would start with Aitken and Macdonald as my centres. Mann and Nighty as the wingers. Then if Lomax is who you say then bring him in at the first injury or lack of form.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
For mine, Aitken is the biggest wildcard in our backline at this present time. No doubt the lad has huge potential but how long do we tolerate the notion of potential when weighed up against problem?

Its been pointed out many times that his defence is suspect, along with his inability to pass the ball. Now add to that issues with his hamstring/quads and shoulder.

Centre is becoming a make or break issue for us.

Personally, I would give Aitken his chance, simply because Lomax (for example) needs to show his talents firstly against men in reserve grade, wether that be 3 games or 13 it doesn't matter.

We do have other talent as well including Herbert who has done his apprenticeship this year.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Harsh comparison. Gasnier, IMO, was the most naturally talented footballer that's come through the JV era. If his passion for the game matched his talent, I've no doubt he'd be spoken of in the same sentence as Slater, Thurston and co as modern greats.

If Lomax has near that sort of talent, he'll be a special player. But yes, very young. Best case, he should be eyeing breaking into first grade in the second half of the season, either on the wing or at centre.

Benny I was only talking about physical development re gas vs lomax

As I said previously gas was a mile ahead in attacking talent

I remember sitting at jubilee watching the grade games when gas came thru and he was a bean pole at 17yrs of age but incredibly evasive

Mate I dont think u read my post fully

Frank Facer

First Grade
For mine, Aitken is the biggest wildcard in our backline at this present time. No doubt the lad has huge potential but how long do we tolerate the notion of potential when weighed up against problem?

Its been pointed out many times that his defence is suspect, along with his inability to pass the ball. Now add to that issues with his hamstring/quads and shoulder.

Personally, I would give Aitken his chance, simply because Lomax (for example) needs to show his talents firstly against men in reserve grade, wether that be 3 games or 13 it doesn't matter.

We do have other talent as well including Herbert who has done his apprenticeship this year.
You do know that Aikten was promoted straight into first grade from the 20's? Marshall put a massive wrap on him, before he played his first game. Aikten is a backrower who has failed to develop his game as a centre. I believe that Lomax will be better than Aikten next year, if given the opportunity.

As I have said before, the likes of Fittler, Daley, Brasher, Ettingshausen, Rodwell, Mackay, Hill, Inglis, Latrell Mitchell and many others all made their first grade debuts as 17 or 18 year olds and all of them played very well too. I think we have one on our hands who can be be compared to the above mentioned players.

I think Aitken has potential, more than Lafai. I would start with Aitken and Macdonald as my centres. Mann and Nighty as the wingers. Then if Lomax is who you say then bring him in at the first injury or lack of form.
Aitkin is hard straight runner but not much else.
Suspect in defence and cannot ball play - not yet anyway.
Can't compare with Lafai for skill.
I would really like to see Lomax given his chance first up.

Walpole

Juniors
Most clubs give their young guns a run on the wing when they're first coming into the NRL. Cotric last season at the Raiders is a great example. He'll end up in the centres as soon as they give up on Leilua and be one of the best centres in the comp. I think we should be following the same plan with Lomax if he's as good as everyone says.

Life's Good

Coach
This is a pretty good summation. I think Aitken has the skills to be a Cooper/Beattie type centre which he has shown glimpses of producing. Thing is he is now going on 3 years in FG(admittedly with injuries). I’d like to see him given a good run in FG running off Hunt/Widdop to show his wares.
I like Aitken but for me, this year, is make or break because he will have players only a couple of years younger breathing down his neck.

Crush

Coach
Im not a lafai fan. He had some luck last year with the flick pass but thats about it. He is mediocre. I think aitken is still a little bit of an unknown given his age and experience. Id like to see him given the start this year to prove he is our best center and if he isnt then we have options.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Agree with you but don't forget garrick to.
Both garrick and herbert are a year ahead of lomax.
I think mann is above both of them.
But for garrick is ready and herbert to.
If you want a winger garrick is a head.
As centre both are about the same level.

If they promote Zac before he is ready it will be a disaster to his confidence.

Having a fully functioning reserve grade team is the best thing that has happened in a while it will alow players to actually get some combinations going instead of playing with part time players.

red rocket

Juniors
Im not a lafai fan. He had some luck last year with the flick pass but thats about it. He is mediocre. I think aitken is still a little bit of an unknown given his age and experience. Id like to see him given the start this year to prove he is our best center and if he isnt then we have options.
Aitken's biggest problem is Mary plays him on the wrong side of the park he has a strong right arm fend that goes to waste playing in a wright side corridor hence why he doesn't try to beat players on the outside and is not naturally his favourite side to pass the ball can see him move eventually to the back row. If dufty has a stuttery start to the season Lomax could find himself in the big time sooner rather than later

KiamaSaint

Coach
Yep......amazing how dino was chased off the forum by people who thought they knew better and that dino was a ratbag.

Well he wasn't, was he....but some know alls are still here, (not you)

Dino got it right 2 yrsago.....SPEEEEEEEDD!
How do you know Dino?

ouryear

Juniors
How do you know Dino?
The guy is a wonderful Saints supporter. I have met and spoken to him about our great club many many times, and what changes need to be voiced and implemented to get us back to where we once were.

Shame there are some on this forum who have a bland, don't force change....and a lefty PC view... that has ALSO beseiged and screwed this once great southern land.

epDragon62

First Grade
The guy is a wonderful Saints supporter. I have met and spoken to him about our great club many many times, and what changes need to be voiced and implemented to get us back to where we once were.

Shame there are some on this forum who have a bland, don't force change....and a lefty PC view... that has ALSO beseiged and screwed this once great southern land.
You sound like a white supremist?

Agree we have too much PC crap but there are too many people who think their uninformed opinion is equal to those of the informed. Not labelling you that way but don’t assume you know better than everybody else either.

ouryear

Juniors
You sound like a white supremist?

Agree we have too much PC crap but there are too many people who think their uninformed opinion is equal to those of the informed. Not labelling you that way but don’t assume you know better than everybody else either.

No I definitely do not think I know anything more than the next person.

Everyone has a right to voice their opinion.

Which is exactly what Dino did by writing we need speed and more speed.

In turn for his opinion, Dino was called a F##k wit and brainless, and many more names.

So yes, Dino gave his opinion which has since been proven to be 100% correct.

People did not just disagree, they abused him.

Too many modern day self righteous goody too shoes I am afraid.

And yes, my opinion is our immigration policy is fuc**d.

60% of my mates are born overseas, certainly not a racist.

However, we got to mix it up a lot more.

We can't become the United Arab Emirates satellite state.

White supremists? Hate them.

Rational policies and a good mix of people.

Love them.

Got it?

Now back to Dino.... Yes, we need more fu**ing speed!!!

Old Timer

Coach
Yep......amazing how dino was chased off the forum by people who thought they knew better and that dino was a ratbag.

Well he wasn't, was he....but some know alls are still here, (not you)

Dino got it right 2 yrsago.....SPEEEEEEEDD!
What a lot of claptrap.
No one is chased off the forum.
Some can give as good as they get others decide it's not for them.
I liked Dino and understood his point of view but didn't always agree with it and at the moment he chooses not to post.
What is interesting is how you came to your view re Dino and the forum considering you are one of the forum strong men with a take no prisoners mindset and you dish out plenty to all and sundry.
Thought you would have been a Darwinist but maybe there is a little chink in your veneer and you may be a compassionate creationist after all.

BennyV

Referee
Benny I was only talking about physical development re gas vs lomax

As I said previously gas was a mile ahead in attacking talent

I remember sitting at jubilee watching the grade games when gas came thru and he was a bean pole at 17yrs of age but incredibly evasive

Mate I dont think u read my post fully
Did read and partially agreed, I think he's a year off first grade, especially at centre.

But It came off like you're saying he lacks x-factor because he doesn't seem to have the same effest as Gaz that age. Just saying, harsh comparison!

Latest posts