What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English referees

Stallion

First Grade
This particular ref is not good. He is a game killer! He butchered a side last week with a blatant wrong call and has done a crucial call against Lebanon in the first half. Not saying it would have changed the game but it would kept scores closer for longer. Second game I have seen this ref have a 20plus penalty count. I assume other games have similar penalty counts under this ref!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
English refs ref to the rules, not the "interpretations". When did it become ok to roll the between your legs? When did laying on after a break not become a sin bin? When did it become ok fir the second marker to be 5 Metres back? NRL has become so subjective with the rules it's no wonder the English refs are struggling with the messing around at play the ball and all the other bs nrl players get away with these days.

Stallion

First Grade
English refs ref to the rules, not the "interpretations". When did it become ok to roll the between your legs? When did laying on after a break not become a sin bin? When did it become ok fir the second marker to be 5 Metres back? NRL has become so subjective with the rules it's no wonder the English refs are struggling with the messing around at play the ball and all the other bs nrl players get away with these days.

It would be good to do a running count on play the balls with the foot or motioned with the foot and compare with the blatant 'Fifita style ' roll under the legs. It is a time thing although it should be a necessary discipline which should be encouraged. It also reinforces the 'more football' aspect of rugby league compared to its ugly big brother.

deluded pom?

Coach
Either we have rules or we don't. If we don't then take them out of the rule book. If we do then don't whinge when the ref applies the rules.

Stallion

First Grade
Either we have rules or we don't. If we don't then take them out of the rule book. If we do then don't whinge when the ref applies the rules.

Due diligence with respect to the flow of the game is the point here. Understand the rule issue but I would be blowing the whistle every 2nd play the ball with the monotonous non playing of the ball with the foot being exhibited. Perhaps this should have been highlighted and emphasised by referees to all players prior to the tournament commencing?

Last edited:
Claiming they are reffing to the rules might stack up if they actually were. Instead it's random and inconsistent blowing of the whistle and getting it wrong half the time.

deluded pom?

Coach
Due diligence with respect to the flow of the game is the point here. Understand the rule issue but I would be blowing the whistle every 2nd play the ball with the monotonous non playing of the ball with the foot being exhibited. Perhaps this should have been highlighted and emphasised by referees to all players prior to the tournament commencing?
Sorry but the rules state that you have to play the ball with the foot. Apologies again, especially to ECT, but the sloppy PTB has come from Australia. No attempt to play the ball with the foot = penalty, simple as but your refs decided to let it go and now it's endemic. It's a basic rule of the sport. If players can't master the basics then they should pay the price.

thorson1987

Coach
Sorry but the rules state that you have to play the ball with the foot. Apologies again, especially to ECT, but the sloppy PTB has come from Australia. No attempt to play the ball with the foot = penalty, simple as but your refs decided to let it go and now it's endemic. It's a basic rule of the sport. If players can't master the basics then they should pay the price.

Not quiet true. Occasionally our refs will penalize teams for it.

Fatfita and Solomona are the worst for aswell.

Stallion

First Grade

Fully agree. The rules state "attempt to use the foot in playing the ball" . But Im with you. The issue has it seeds from the bastardising of the play the ball rule in "touch football" which was originally "tippy league". I am of the belief that if rugby league reintroduce the genuine play the ball in related games such as touch footy we will see a marked increase in the correct PTB. RL Development needs this issue addressed. Even if the powers that be introduce "original touch footy" as an option you will see people gravitate towards this version and the flow on will go to proper rugby league play the balls. Atm touch footy is purely for gazelles whom just dump the ball and step over it aiming to get the defending side offside. Not in the spirit of what was "tippy league" in the 70s.

Last edited:

deluded pom?

Coach
Not quiet true. Occasionally our refs will penalize teams for it.

Fatfita and Solomona are the worst for aswell.
Occasionally isn't enough though. What next? Occasionally calling knock one? Don't get me wrong mate, sloppy PTBs are let go in the SL but it's just plain wrong. No foot on the ball equals a penalty. Call it every time and the coaches and players will soon learn. If not then they deserve all they get.

thorson1987

Coach
Occasionally isn't enough though. What next? Occasionally calling knock one? Don't get me wrong mate, sloppy PTBs are let go in the SL but it's just plain wrong. No foot on the ball equals a penalty. Call it every time and the coaches and players will soon learn. If not then they deserve all they get.

Agree.

Alot of NRL players are also using the ball to get up which gives me the shits too.

langpark

First Grade
I watch a lot of Super League, so I know all their refs and won't just say 'the English refs', like some of you here who might only see them in action once a year, maximum.

No one can tell me Robert Hicks (reffed yesterday's Fiji/Italy match) is not a good ref though. It's refreshing to see a ref with a spine. He put 3 in the sin-bin that match (all deservedly so), NRL refs often cave in those moments and avoid using sin-bin or send-off at all costs out of fear of scrutiny.

I'd say overall, they are on par with each other, the Aussie and English refs. It just depends what you are used to. They do some things better, then the Aussie refs might do some other things better.

thorson1987

Coach
The most frustrating thing about the 2 games I went to in Sydney was the fans who had no idea that international rules are different to the NRL.

And it f**king shits me to tears that we are at this stage due to the NRL. Ref the game to the international rules so there is consistency.

deluded pom?

Coach
The most frustrating thing about the 2 games I went to in Sydney was the fans who had no idea that international rules are different to the NRL.

And it f**king shits me to tears that we are at this stage due to the NRL. Ref the game to the international rules so there is consistency.
Why we can't get one set of rules that are used worldwide is beyond me. None of this bringing in local rules without going through the RLIF either.