What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Day Tier 2 distinctions officially collapsed

Clarkent

Juniors
We said the same thing after Samoa nearly beat NZ and England. Less the one game they played at home again Fiji, they have done nothing
The samoan team is different cause there were still samoan boys in the kiwis that didn't do a " taumalolo"... I would be very surprised if taumalolo and the others go back to the kiwis! I think they have created something special for this tongan team era... Taumalolo may have started something that will wake up the rugby league world to the Pacific nation... Them at full strength will be hard to stop! So proud of the Tongans today! But my samoan team I'm very disappointed with there performance today!

Clarkent

Juniors
Everyone criticised this eligibility rule when it came in... I was all for it cause it created an even playing field... Taumalolo had a few haters and mostly from the media and look what he's done he's woken up the world rugby league world! I hope the Tongans carries this on in the near future and hopefully the samoan boys follows! International game came alive today!

Pommy

Coach
Everyone criticised this eligibility rule when it came in... I was all for it cause it created an even playing field... Taumalolo had a few haters and mostly from the media and look what he's done he's woken up the world rugby league world! I hope the Tongans carries this on in the near future and hopefully the samoan boys follows! International game came alive today!

You can switch between some teams but not between others.
I said when it came out it doesn’t create an even playing field and it still doesn’t. I’m not against switching as such but it’s not an even playing field.

Clarkent

Juniors
You can switch between some teams but not between others.
I said when it came out it doesn’t create an even playing field and it still doesn’t. I’m not against switching as such but it’s not an even playing field.
Did you not see Tonga beat nz? That just proves the eligibility rule works... " You can switch between some teams but not between others??" Sorry I didn't get that comment...

Clarkent

Juniors
Tiers 1 nations are the ones that develop large numbers of professional players and can afford to pay them professional wages.

As great a result as this is it doesn't change anything in terms of tiers.
Tonga beating the kiwis today of course doesn't make them an automatic tier 1 nation but the result today proves that the island nations are worth investing in... If they we're treated and paid the same as the top 3 there will be an even playing field! Unfortunately I doubt this will happen cause the island nations will be ignored after this world cup once again unless Tonga wins the whole thing... But that's a very slim chance cause the kangaroos will be hard to stop... But anything can happen with this tongan team

Pommy

Coach
Did you not see Tonga beat nz? That just proves the eligibility rule works... " You can switch between some teams but not between others??" Sorry I didn't get that comment...

So how many kangaroos can switch to England or NZ to represent their heritage?
I’m not complaining about players being able to switch I’m just saying it’s not a level playing field.

Clarkent

Juniors
So how many kangaroos can switch to England or NZ to represent their heritage?
I’m not complaining about players being able to switch I’m just saying it’s not a level playing field.
Tier 1 nations can't switch to tier 1 nation... How is it not an even playing field? Tonga today proved that at full strength they can beat anyone... The samoans would've had a chance to beat the kiwis if they had a chance to pick there full team...

Pommy

Coach
Tier 1 nations can't switch to tier 1 nation... How is it not an even playing field? Tonga today proved that at full strength they can beat anyone... The samoans would've had a chance to beat the kiwis if they had a chance to pick there full team...

My point exactly, not sure what you can’t grasp. The rules dont allow for a level playing field by putting these restrictions in place.

Clarkent

Juniors
My point exactly, not sure what you can’t grasp. The rules dont allow for a level playing field by putting these restrictions in place.
Fair enough... But is England really gonna pick a player that's already played for the kangaroos? But in saying that the tier 1 nation really don't need the switcharoo players between each other because they're all spoiled with talent... So they're strong no matter what the island nations are the ones catching up to them but I get your point

Pommy

Coach
Fair enough... But is England really gonna pick a player that's already played for the kangaroos? But in saying that the tier 1 nation really don't need the switcharoo players between each other because they're all spoiled with talent... So they're strong no matter what the island nations are the ones catching up to them but I get your point

Not at all if I had my way we wouldn’t pick any Australians but I don’t like rules being written to prevent it. If it’s ok to switch to a heritage team it should be ok for everyone to do it.

Clarkent

Juniors
Not at all if I had my way we wouldn’t pick any Australians but I don’t like rules being written to prevent it. If it’s ok to switch to a heritage team it should be ok for everyone to do it.
Well this rule was basically changed so that the tier 2 nations will catch up to the top teams... And it's working by the looks of it... Lebanon would've never competed with England if rule didn't allow Farah etc in to the team... So there's more positive then negatives with this rule... All I know is, is that this result just made this world cup even more interesting and it created more positive headlines for the rugby league world cup around the world

Pommy

Coach
Well this rule was basically changed so that the tier 2 nations will catch up to the top teams... And it's working by the looks of it... Lebanon would've never competed with England if rule didn't allow Farah etc in to the team... So there's more positive then negatives with this rule... All I know is, is that this result just made this world cup even more interesting and it created more positive headlines for the rugby league world cup around the world

That’s fine just don’t try and say it’s a fair playing field when the rules are written specifically (and needlessly in my opinion) to prevent that from ever being the case.

thorson1987

Coach

Pretty sure Farah would have been eligible under the old rules anyway, and they wouldn't have affected Moses or Mannah.

Rory

Juniors
Rugby League needs November internationals like union! Pacific nations cant play pacific nations constantly, france need to play the cooks, tonga need to play wales etc. God yes, im not gonna lie, im a little pissed off at the fact that ive spent money on a ticket to watch aus v nz! but all worth it! If Scotland/Ireland/France/Italy/Fiji/Samoa had full teams, i reckon they'd give the big 3 one hell of a go, but its no more big 3. its TONGA TIME!

siv

First Grade

Yes they can just the appropriate period

marv

Juniors
As a huge fan of the International game. I have watched many tests over the years I know a lot of guys on this board feel the same we have waited many years for a result like this. Scotland pushed the Kiwis last year. PNG ran England close in the 08 WC. Samoa gave NZ a fright in 2013 and now we have it, a result for a 2nd tier nation in a full on competitive test match. Great to see from Tonga, even better that they had to come from behind.

jim_57

Staff member
Would be huge for the game if another nation could make it 2. The outside chances are Fiji against NZ, PNG against England or Tonga V England in the semi if they both win this week.

Springs09

Juniors
Tiers 1 nations are the ones that develop large numbers of professional players and can afford to pay them professional wages.

As great a result as this is it doesn't change anything in terms of tiers.

Exactly.

Tonga and Samoa aren't ever going to be in the same league as the tier one nations. Not because of the quality of their team, but because their development is never going to be better than a regional NSW comp. They will always rely on immigrants in Australia and NZ and they will for all sports.

In Union the island nations will always be stuck behind the big guns because most of their eligible players choose the All Blacks or Wallabies and are then stuck that way. But that means if we can have competitive island nations that play meaningful tests every year (not just against each other) then more results like Tonga v NZ become possible, then more players will want to commit to the island teams and we become bigger and better in the Pacific.

For all the criticisms from other sports about our competitiveness, look at our last three international tournaments. 2014 Four Nations - Samoa push England and NZ all the way and were unlucky to lose both games, 2016 Four Nations - Scotland draw with NZ, 2017 World Cup - Tonga beat NZ and won't be long outsiders to make the final.