What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lomax Eyes Centre Spot

Drakon

Juniors
France is about under 20s standard.
LMAO at you.
My granny could win VS them.

france got beat double that 's VS other teams.

Now stop being an apologist.
I've never posted on Widdop's performances before so just stating the way it was, Positional play sensational, passing game tops, defence mostly great. Even the commentators were on about him.

One would draw the conclusion that you are the rabid apologist in defending your bombastic position re Widdop!

Belta

Juniors
I just wish for one thing. If a player in first grade has a mediocre game he gets replaced by one of the mentioned young prospects. So if you play well in a lower grade you're a chance of promotion. Conversely if you underperform you're at risk of demotion.

Based on previous seasons, and the fluctuating form of particularly our backs then there should be plenty of opportunities for Lomax and others. Not bashing Lafai but he made a few costly errors in the WC, he needs to fix that part of his game IMO, actually I don't think any of our backs should be automatically cut and pasted in next year, agree that most should be on notice

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I've never posted on Widdop's performances before so just stating the way it was, Positional play sensational, passing game tops, defence mostly great. Even the commentators were on about him.

One would draw the conclusion that you are the rabid apologist in defending your bombastic position re Widdop!

Agree Drakon
He played well today against France.
Will be interesting to see how he goes against the better teams.
As for one/vas/ ruby well he is special.
His one job in life is to contribute nothing that makes sense and he is very good about it.

True_Believer

Juniors
Your point was widdop must be OK as he got an award.

Your point is flawed.

Woods got an award too.

Winning an award does not make you anything.

Actually, you've completely missed his point.

His point was that he was leading the Dally M leader board before he got injured.

Belta

Juniors
I think it's fair to say that Widdop and Hunt will be more then adequate, we just need the other positions to fire, I think we have the ammunition, it's just whether or not they gel and are used correctly. We really need to structure plays that utilise the likes of Dufty, Field and hopefully Lomax (who really needs to be thrown in the deep end)

our forwards will do the job, and if the backs can deliver we may go ok. If not we'll be definitely walking the tight rope AGAIN

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Im happy for him to bide his time but and if our centers are not performing , I hope he does not have to wait till its end of season . Mary tends to stick with players week in and week out , whether they are player good or bad .

Totally agree with this hence why I don't want Saints to sign some unwanted back from another side and have Mary pick then ahead of our juniors like he did with McCrone. Unless they are really good e.g Mansour. He would be one i would only go for that is looking to leave. Saints have plenty of great kids coming through and a potential to build a backline similar to 2010 BMoz,Coops,Gaz,Nighty e.g Lomax, Aitken, Sailor, Masters,Field etc. That is a 10 year backline combo worth keeping if it goes off. And in the long run will be potentially cheaper as they chances for them remaining (Like Coops and Nighty is high unless they have a brother in another club. lf club gives them a crack they will hopefully remain loyal.

Totally agree with this hence why I don't want Saints to sign some unwanted back from another side and have Mary pick then ahead of our juniors like he did with McCrone. Unless they are really good e.g Mansour. He would be one i would only go for that is looking to leave. Saints have plenty of great kids coming through and a potential to build a backline similar to 2010 BMoz,Coops,Gaz,Nighty e.g Lomax, Aitken, Sailor, Masters,Field etc. That is a 10 year backline combo worth keeping if it goes off. And in the long run will be potentially cheaper as they chances for them remaining (Like Coops and Nighty is high unless they have a brother in another club. lf club gives them a crack they will hopefully remain loyal.

Crush

Coach
I just wish for one thing. If a player in first grade has a mediocre game he gets replaced by one of the mentioned young prospects. So if you play well in a lower grade you're a chance of promotion. Conversely if you underperform you're at risk of demotion.

Based on previous seasons, and the fluctuating form of particularly our backs then there should be plenty of opportunities for Lomax and others. Not bashing Lafai but he made a few costly errors in the WC, he needs to fix that part of his game IMO, actually I don't think any of our backs should be automatically cut and pasted in next year, agree that most should be on notice
This is all I want as well. Like in the national cricket team (except for marsh boys) if you aren't performing you make way for someone who can do the job. This doesn't mean dropping someone after 2 matches like the Mann at fullback experment but it certainly doesn't mean picking guys week in week out until its too late like McCrone last year or Lafai in 2016.
I think 4-6 weeks and if you aint absolutely killing it then move over!
Mary is a stubborn prick though so I reckon it will be cut and paste backline from 2017 for first 14 weeks at least.

Belta

Juniors
Crush said; "This is all I want as well. Like in the national cricket team (except for Marsh boys) if you aren't performing you make way for someone who can do the job. This doesn't mean dropping someone after 2 matches like the Mann at fullback experiment but it certainly doesn't mean picking guys week in week out until it's too late like McCrone last year or Lafai in 2016. I think 4-6 weeks and if you ain't absolutely killing it then move over! Mary is a stubborn prick though so I reckon it will be a cut and paste backline from 2017 for the first 14 weeks atleast."

Yes unfortunately Crush, It will happen just as you say, Mary is unlikely to wield the axe on under performing players, especially if we win a few games early on. And don't get me wrong the last thing I want to do is death ride our backs, I really do want Aitken to kill it in the centres and Nene to be the blockbusting winger we so sorely require but IF they don't come out of the blocks firing in my opinion they have had more then enough chances, and it's high time to bring in the cavalry, for them even 4-6 weeks is generous, they have been in the team long enough, time to deliver

dragonssamy61

First Grade

100% slippery
I agree with above.
Imo
we have numbers 8 to 13 covered
and plenty of back up in the forwards.
If they play to there potential we are right up there in the forwards.
We have a world class 6 and 7 .
We don't have a lot of depth .
So we need one off the young guns to step up as in field and sailor and they need to demand 1st grade.
In the backs.
We need Atkins and nene to step up and to play to there potential.
We need our young guns lomas, garrick, herbert and johns to step up.
But above all we need mary to step up.
Then we can be more than competitive and it will be a good year

Last edited:

j0nesy

Bench
Bit worried about that to.
We put way too many kegs on Duges imo. Whether or not that was to try and make him a little more robust and hardy, I don't know. Do know he had lost that ability to find that extra gear to score those long range try's or LB's he did at Canberra though.

The bastard scored one for Australia against the poms. Don’t recall him getting one in 3 years for us.

j0nesy

Bench

Exactly! In 2018 there should be plenty of chances for Lomax, Garrick and even Field if the likes of Nene, Lafai and Aitken play as inconsistently as they did in 2017. Nighty is aging, there’s a good chance that Hunt will play Origin and Dufty will likely need a break at some stage during the season. The question is - will Mary give them a go?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
One thing which Mary surprised me with which I give him credit for is sticking with Dufty when he could have easily put Duges back in the side after the Penrith game. Pity he did not do the same with Mann and McCrone. If Mann played in the halves for most of 2017, Saints would have won a game or 2 more I think. McCrone really killed Saints specifically against the sides in the bottom 8. Played safety too much where as Mann would have attacked more and would have got more points for the Dragons.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
100% slippery
I agree with above.
Imo
we have numbers 8 to 13 covered
and plenty of back up in the forwards.
If they play to there potential we are right up there in the forwards.
We have a world class 6 and 7 .
We don't have a lot of depth .
So we need one off the young guns to step up as in field and sailor and they need to demand 1st grade.
In the backs.
We need Atkins and nene to step up and to play to there potential.
We need our young guns lomas, garrick, herbert and johns to step up.
But above all we need mary to step up.
Then we can be more than competitive and it will be a good year

Sammy agree.
However, I feel Field will just have another year in reserve grade with the intention of trying to get some size into him without compromising his speed.
Sailor wont be eligible to play 1st grade as he is in the development squad along with Masters and Matheson Johns hasnt been added to that squad as yet.
Our future is definitely focused on junior development and as I see it.....
There will be movement each year between all squads ie u20 to Reserve grade or development squad
Current development squad replacing top 30.
Top 30 not having contract renewed
Etc etc
Tge pathway principle is to show youngsters how to get from whete they are to whete they want to be. Then add in performance, attitude and even injuries will make or break players....which is a give-me in any walk of life really.
Our biggest issue is the coach who seems to have his favourites, those who probably just agree on anything he says whilst the others are given token appearances.
Yes we need speed, no doubt about that, but McGregors power game plan doesn't follow the speed theory. Its why players like young Aitken have never developed because its all about the power rather than the developing the finer aspects of each players game.
Hunt, hopefully will be able to change that but I'm just worried we will get the same power forward game followed by block plays which most teams seem to combat as our year progressed in 2017.
Lets hope we get some variations in 2018 otherwise we are just one trick ponies.

Life's Good

Coach
Sammy agree.
However, I feel Field will just have another year in reserve grade with the intention of trying to get some size into him without compromising his speed.
Sailor wont be eligible to play 1st grade as he is in the development squad along with Masters and Matheson Johns hasnt been added to that squad as yet.
There will be movement each year between all squads ie u20 to Reserve grade or development squad
Etc etc
Tge pathway principle is to show youngsters how to get from whete they are to whete they want to be. Then add in performance, attitude and even injuries will make or break players....which is a give-me in any walk of life really.
Our biggest issue is the coach who seems to have his favourites, those who probably just agree on anything he says whilst the others are given token appearances.
Yes we need speed, no doubt about that, but McGregors power game plan doesn't follow the speed theory. Its why players like young Aitken have never developed because its all about the power rather than the developing the finer aspects of each players game.
Hunt, hopefully will be able to change that but I'm just worried we will get the same power forward game followed by block plays which most teams seem to combat as our year progressed in 2017.
Lets hope we get some variations in 2018 otherwise we are just one trick ponies.
Well put.
For me, the variation needed is based around bench selection & use supported by the blooding of players when the time inevitably comes(Origin, injuries). Give the players a chance to play what’s in front of them and you are shifting from a one dimensional style to asking more questions of the opposition, something desparately missing all too often in the back end of 2017 and almost all of 2016.

Life's Good

Coach
Sammy agree.
Etc etc
Well put.
For me, the variation needed is based around bench selection & use supported by the blooding of players when the time inevitably comes(Origin, injuries). Give the players a chance to play what’s in front of them and you are shifting from a one dimensional style to asking more questions of the opposition, something desparately missing all too often in the back end of 2017 and almost all of 2016.

Crush

Coach
Exactly! In 2018 there should be plenty of chances for Lomax, Garrick and even Field if the likes of Nene, Lafai and Aitken play as inconsistently as they did in 2017. Nighty is aging, there’s a good chance that Hunt will play Origin and Dufty will likely need a break at some stage during the season. The question is - will Mary give them a go?
I don't think so. If the last few years have taught us anything he always goes conservative. Nighty to fullback when Duges injured or in Origin is a good example. If he wasn't prepared to throw Dufty in at the first chance then what makes us think he will chuck Lomax, Garrick, Field in if the backs aren't firing?
Remember also Lafai and Aitken are signed until 2020. It won't be easy to dislodge them.
Just pray that they fire otherwise we will have to scream at the tv week in week out "get the hook out!"