What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WE HAVE NO SPEED

dino2170

Juniors
I know I have been on the speed argument for a while now BUT its getting more concerning because of the following facts:

Nene mcdonald: He was recruited because of his speed. He is reluntant to run. Whe he does he is easy for the opposition. SHOULD BE SHOWN THE DOOR

Nightengale: Slow but reliable. I remember a couple of times during the year he was run down by a forward WTF. SHOULD BE RETIRED GRACEFULLY

Laifai: Busted and a belmore reject SHOULD BE SHOWN THE DOOR

Relunctance to promote youth: I read that their are some gun backs in the juniors. Whilst other teams promote the youth WE do not. Maybe its the philosophy that forwards win games mentality.

Forwards: At the moment our forward stocks have been boosted by Graham and possibly Walmsley. Why eat into the cap at the expense of backs. This is from a coach that was supposedly a gun centre.

THOUGHTS??????

Old Timer

Coach
I know I have been on the speed argument for a while now BUT its getting more concerning because of the following facts:

Nene mcdonald: He was recruited because of his speed. He is reluntant to run. Whe he does he is easy for the opposition. SHOULD BE SHOWN THE DOOR

Nightengale: Slow but reliable. I remember a couple of times during the year he was run down by a forward WTF. SHOULD BE RETIRED GRACEFULLY

Relunctance to promote youth: I read that their are some gun backs in the juniors. Whilst other teams promote the youth WE do not. Maybe its the philosophy that forwards win games mentality.

Forwards: At the moment our forward stocks have been boosted by Graham and possibly Walmsley. Why eat into the cap at the expense of backs. This is from a coach that was supposedly a gun centre.

THOUGHTS??????
Couldn't agree more re the backs.
We are slow and cumbersome and cannot score a long range try so totally ineffectual against the top sides.
Not much good of having a good half who can hit the outside player on the chest for that player to be constantly run down.
Not sure how fast Hunt is but if he snipes from the ruck or the scrum can anyone go with him?
Yet again a long season ahead for our forwards.

THOUGHTS??????
There seems to be no urgency to recruit backs at all.
A combination of experienced players and youngsters would be the best combination.
If we could just sign one top liner for the three quarter line, it would make a world of difference.
Then induct some of our young lions into the wing positions and or if there are injuries.
No one 1-5 should be guaranteed a starting position and let form dictate who starts the season.
This has always been a coaching issue first and a recruitment issue second.

st.phil

Bench
lets face it, Nighty and Lafai are the only two real slowies...Lafai makes up for it in offloads, tackle breaks and still has a burst of speed. Nighty makes up for it by being a premiership hero and consistent.

Aitken is really quite quick and Nene is once he gets moving. I think Aitken is more of a 2nd rower and Nene a centre but those are different issues. Dufty and field - quick. Widdop and hunt - both quick. Youngsters in the wings have speed - lomax, garrick, and herbert.

I see your point but I dont think its so bad that it will cost us games

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Mybe we would see the best of the winger if they were to play on there preferred sides.
Mary sould try that if it doesn't work then get garrick or herbert in.
On the wing garrick he got some pace.
Herbert could also do a job on the wing but is better suited to the centres.
Then of course we have lomax coming though as well.
If he is killing it early get him into the backs.
He can play centre wing and even fullback.
It's ok to want someone with pace but there not a lot around.

Old Timer

Coach
lets face it, Nighty and Lafai are the only two real slowies...Lafai makes up for it in offloads, tackle breaks and still has a burst of speed. Nighty makes up for it by being a premiership hero and consistent.

Aitken is really quite quick and Nene is once he gets moving. I think Aitken is more of a 2nd rower and Nene a centre but those are different issues. Dufty and field - quick. Widdop and hunt - both quick. Youngsters in the wings have speed - lomax, garrick, and herbert.

I see your point but I dont think its so bad that it will cost us games
FMD how much longer can we eulogise Nighty for 2010?
He is very slow and the tries he scores most competent wingers can score but the tries from beyond the 20m line that other wingers score he can score none of
Unless you married your first girl friend get over it and move on there is another romance to be had if you let it happen.

Bench
In my opnion as there were no backs or wingers bought this could mean that the club has identified players from the junior ranks to make the jump to first grade.
If these players can succeed then we will have a team with speed and will be playing together for some years in the future.
That is the good news, the bad news is whether McIdiot can give these players the time off the bench or in the starting lineup.
This has to happen early in the season as as it stands now we are lacking some centers an wingers with speed. We all have seen the power game, great for a few weeks but not the whole season.
We need to look beyond 2018 and have those young guns getting their chance in first grade otherwise they will leave.
Is McIdiot up for this. In my opnion NO.

st.phil

Bench
FMD how much longer can we eulogise Nighty for 2010?
He is very slow and the tries he scores most competent wingers can score but the tries from beyond the 20m line that other wingers score he can score none of
Unless you married your first girl friend get over it and move on there is another romance to be had if you let it happen.
Take a deep breath, I was "explaining" why his spot is locked in concrete, not agreeing or commenting. You think Mary in unaware that Nighty is slow? He has other qualities and a historic place within the club. Context.

Jump back off your high horse, save the flimsy relationship metaphor for someone who gives a shit. You're eye is not all purveying...

Belta

Juniors
We are hoping not, but we all know Experience and safety first will be the order of the day.

Old Timer

Coach
Take a deep breath, I was "explaining" why his spot is locked in concrete, not agreeing or commenting. You think Mary in unaware that Nighty is slow? He has other qualities and a historic place within the club. Context.

Jump back off your high horse, save the flimsy relationship metaphor for someone who gives a shit. You're eye is not all purveying...
You made a statement and now you are shying away from it.
You clearly stated he is slow but makes up for it by being a GF hero and consistent.
You offered an excuse or reason why he and also Lafai should be selected and in fact went on to state that you don't think they will cost us games.
In respect of context it is pretty simple they will not help us win a premiership and in fact continually selecting them will cost us what ever small chance we ever had.
Tell me someone that played in the 2010 GF that is still playing is better now than he was then?

st.phil

Bench
You clearly stated he is slow but makes up for it by being a GF hero and consistent.
You offered an excuse or reason why he and also Lafai should be selected and in fact went on to state that you don't think they will cost us games.
In respect of context it is pretty simple they will not help us win a premiership and in fact continually selecting them will cost us what ever small chance we ever had.
Tell me someone that played in the 2010 GF that is still playing is better now than he was then?
You clearly have insights into my brain and motivations that not even I am prithee too...incredible. You are a lucky person. Send us on this weeks lotto numbers please

MrDragon007

Juniors
You seem to have alot of negativity towards Nighty. Tell me, who do we replace him with?
And dont nominate an external winger, because that kills off the theory that we need to promote juniors, so from within, which juniors do we have that have shown they can 100% be an improvement on Nighty?
At least with Nighty we know what we are getting. Yes He lacks in speed but he makes up for it with alot of other aspects.
You seem to be fixated on only speed.
Tell me, in the games Nighty jumped into fullback to replace Dugan, did he put a foot wrong?
The guy can handle fullback and wing, and the only thing he doesnt bring to the table is speed.
Im not saying he should be winger and his spot is 100% safe, but to be adamant and demand he be replaced is silly.
He doesnt let us down, he gives 100%, is reliable, still scores tries and is a St.George legend.
We have alot more serious issues then just nightys speed.
Cut the guy some slack.

hazzbeen

Bench
You seem to have alot of negativity towards Nighty. Tell me, who do we replace him with?
And dont nominate an external winger, because that kills off the theory that we need to promote juniors, so from within, which juniors do we have that have shown they can 100% be an improvement on Nighty?
At least with Nighty we know what we are getting. Yes He lacks in speed but he makes up for it with alot of other aspects.
Tell me, in the games Nighty jumped into fullback to replace Dugan, did he put a foot wrong?
The guy can handle fullback and wing, and the only thing he doesnt bring to the table is speed.
Im not saying he should be winger and his spot is 100% safe, but to be adamant and demand he be replaced is silly.
He doesnt let us down, he gives 100%, is reliable, still scores tries and is a St.George legend.
Cut the guy some slack.
Who to replace him with , Mann quick elusive and can score tries .....

MrDragon007

Juniors
Who to replace him with , Mann quick elusive and can score tries .....
yes he is, but id prefer Mann to get a nice run in the centres. I think he offers more then Aitkins.
Mann playing off Hunt will be damaging.
And that combo will take pressure off Widdop and Lafai, who both showed when they are on, THEY ARE ON.
Just my opinion, but thats my preffered centres, Mann and lafai.
I also think Nene will explode playing on Hunts side. Hunt will create alot of opportunities for both the centre and Nene.
Nighty playing outside Lafai and Widdop with less pressure on them wont be an issue.
By the same token though, i do hope we have a youngster who steps up and shows he can replace Nighty.
If we dont, im personally not fussed about Nighty, he is safe without being extraordinary. He knows Lafais flick passes and will do ok imo.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Cut the guy some slack.
he should have retired in reality he could play for another 2 years, he still would be safe and score the trys from 10m out but it still doesnt make it right, everyone needs to get over the fact that he played in the winning GF, that was 7 years ago, we don't owe him anything anymore, he is 2 years past his best, i would put one of the lower grade players in, they will only get experience by playing and getting tested, they will f**k up but they will learn...

hazzbeen

Bench
yes he is, but id prefer Mann to get a nice run in the centres. I think he offers more then Aitkins.
Mann playing off Hunt will be damaging.
And that combo will take pressure off Widdop and Lafai, who both showed when they are on, THEY ARE ON.
Just my opinion, but thats my preffered centres, Mann and lafai.
I also think Nene will explode playing on Hunts side. Hunt will create alot of opportunities for both the centre and Nene.
Nighty playing outside Lafai and Widdop with less pressure on them wont be an issue.
By the same token though, i do hope we have a youngster who steps up and shows he can replace Nighty.
If we dont, im personally not fussed about Nighty, he is safe without being extraordinary. He knows Lafais flick passes and will do ok imo.
Or Nighty and Mann if Nene continues to be lack luster ....

Latest posts