What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why not play Jai Field on the Wing?

watatank

Coach
Yeah you need to have a good coach, regardless of what the strategy is with squad development. If we have younger players then the coach needs to bring them through. Even if we go out and try and buy everyone (like we kinda tried to do the past few years- not like other teams but more than before) we are either going to run into salary cap troubles somewhere along the way or talk about how much of a disappointment the signings have been (which is basically what has happened).

Millward may lay out the general plans but McGregor has to execute it. They may not agree on that and the coach seems to be thinking about what might give us the best chance of winning now rather than squad development.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
And we are back to the poor quality of our coaching over the last 6 years.
With our junior base there is no reason why 4 or 5 players haven’t really kicked on in that time.
At least now there seems to be a plan around backing & retaining our juniors but they need the opportunities. It’s up to SuperCoach to manage selections accordingly. Here’s hoping.

hazzbeen

Bench
And we are back to the poor quality of our coaching over the last 6 years.
With our junior base there is no reason why 4 or 5 players haven’t really kicked on in that time.
At least now there seems to be a plan around backing & retaining our juniors but they need the opportunities. It’s up to SuperCoach to manage selections accordingly. Here’s hoping.
Dont get your hopes to high because I dont think Mary will take a gamble with the young blokes , his job would defiantly be on the line next year to produce ( you would ) think so .... if he misses the 8 again . For me making the 8 just , is not a good year . He has had plenty of time to produce better results than we have been dished up . Boy I hope he proves me wrong and we have a bumper year , time will tell ....

Life's Good

Coach
Dont get your hopes to high because I dont think Mary will take a gamble with the young blokes , his job would defiantly be on the line next year to produce ( you would ) think so .... if he misses the 8 again . For me making the 8 just , is not a good year . He has had plenty of time to produce better results than we have been dished up . Boy I hope he proves me wrong and we have a bumper year , time will tell ....

I agree that now more rests with SuperCoach because the squad is that little bit better. I actually don’t think the pressure is on him because he’s got his 2 years locked in.
As a result I hope he basically says ‘f*ck it, I’ll show them I can coach’.
Do I believe he will, of course not, he doesn’t have it in him. Again, gotta have hope though.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Mate this all comes back to Mary ..... If he allows Hunt and to play whats in front of him , Then maybe the Hunt Widdop combination could be deadly .
Millward stated that one of the reasons we bought Hunt was because he can play both sides of the field and that is how they intend to use him. That should mean that Hunt becomes our dominate playmaker. I hope they form a great halves partnership. We do have 2 running halves, that could lead to us playing some very attractive football next year.

I agree that now more rests with SuperCoach because the squad is that little bit better. I actually don’t think the pressure is on him because he’s got his 2 years locked in.
As a result I hope he basically says ‘f*ck it, I’ll show them I can coach’.
Do I believe he will, of course not, he doesn’t have it in him. Again, gotta have hope though.

You and me and most likely every other forum member !

Saying it and doing it is a different matter all together

True_Believer

Juniors
I understand what you're saying but we are at cross purposes.
Our spine last year included Dugan who is supposed to be a world class representative player.
He played fullback and was often the first chosen by McGregor as an irreplaceable component of our spine.. So there's your 2nd spine contributor.
Widdop was not on his Pat Malone by any stretch of the imagination and what I am suggesting, instead of rationalizing his poor performances, Is that he will never achieve consistency.
He has already been part of a disastrous equation at our club for 3 years.
Flashes of brilliance does not win you competitions.
He did not gel with Benji - McCrone was just put there because Widdop wanted him there as a defensive foil and the times he was teamed up with Mann - just no cohesion at all.
That says more about Widdop as a player rather than him carrying all the creative responsibility in the team.
You can't seriously interpret my comments as shifting the play making role entirely on to Hunt.
You know that is not what I meant.
in 2018 Widdop will not only have Hunt but also Dufty who is an excellent playmaker in his own right.
All I am saying is that Widdop's best role for the team will be as a link man exactly like he was at Melbourne.
We should stop kidding ourselves regardless of what his Daly M status is.
Just ask Bennett who gave up on him as a half after a game and a half at the WC.
The fact the opposition was able to control, not only Widdop but generally our monotonous and predictable game plan, is a coaching issue that a smarter coach would have provided for.
I am not a fan of Widdop as game manager or as our captain.
Hopefully Hunt will provide the missing ingredient.
We won't agree I know but enjoying the debate though.

Reading some of your other posts, I think we also have a differing opinion of what the term 'game management' means. I think game management is solely that - controlling the speed of the game, kicking into the corners, trapping the opposition down their end etc. and doing this during specific times of the game. I think the other aspect of the game that you include in the term is what I call team management. Steering the team around the park, calling plays. organising players etc.

Based on my definition of what team management is, Gareth definitely needs work in that area OR he needs someone else to do that full time. He's not good at it and it is a role that I am hoping Hunt will pick up and own. I think that is also why he wanted McCrone in the team - I suspect he felt McCrone took that responsibility off of him (I would say with mixed to poor results) and had more experience in that area than any other player available to fill the position. That's also why I think he didn't gel with Benji and why others didn't get a chance in McCrones position. They didn't have that team management component to their game and played too much in the same style as Widdop. Take a look at when Benji played his best - alongside Prince and with Farrah in support. Well known team managers. We also see Mann play his best game at half alongside McCrone - where he didn't have to do any management - just play his game off the cuff. Hutch also could have been a viable option prior to his injury - I can't really comment as I hadn't seen too many of his games but he seemed like a reasonable organiser.

Game management on the other hand, I think Widdop has the ability to do this as we did see this year. However, like I've pointed out, he needs support. Just take Melbourne for example, you have Cronk, Smith and to a lesser extent Munster who can control the game (as well as manage) - kicking into corners, holding the opposition down their end, kicking out of play to slow down the game - all at critical times. Widdop has done this at various points during the year, but it's too much for a single player to be able to do this consistently for the entire game. For those teams in the top 4, how many of them only had a single point of attack? I'd say none of them. The opposition could shut us down more easily than other teams in the 8.

The only anomaly in the whole season was the Cowboys during the finals series. But saying that, they shouldn't have made the finals. They just lifted as a team once the finals series started. I suspect at least 2 of the teams they played went in taking them lightly.

Latest posts