What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Rugby League World Cup

Drag Queen

Bench
Mate, come on, I love league, I do not love AFL.... but even their crowd VS Ireland in their rules match today is higher.

They don't care about league or our hate AFL comments.... With their millions of dollars, and their crowds, they just LOL at us, I assure you.

Why comment unless you are envious of their game.... There is room for all you realise.

Otherwise hate soccer and union too.
Love Union.

Mate, come on, I love league, I do not love AFL.... but even their crowd VS Ireland in their rules match today is higher.

They don't care about league or our hate AFL comments.... With their millions of dollars, and their crowds, they just LOL at us, I assure you.

Why comment unless you are envious of their game.... There is room for all you realise.

Otherwise hate soccer and union too.
I didn't say I was speaking to you, so the fact you decided to answer probably answers the question.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons RLWC Wrap: Week Three
Mon 13th November, 10:00AM
A A

Seven St George Illawarra Dragons stamped their authority on week three of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup, including a Man of the Match effort from skipper Gareth Widdop.

Widdop – who donned the No. 1 jumper for England – scored his nation's first try and kicked four goals against France, which is sure to provide former Red V coach Wayne Bennett food for thought ahead of his side's quarters clash against Papua New Guinea.

2018 Dragon James Graham continued his impressive Cup by scoring a try in England's eventual 36-6 win over France in Perth.

Graham and Widdop will go head-to-head with club teammate and PNG representative Nene Macdonald next week – who scored a try in the Kumuls' 64-0 win over the United States of America.

It was unfortunate news for Dragons and Italian prop Paul Vaughan however as the Azzuri's campaign came to end in Canberra following a 38-10 defeat to Fiji.

Ben Hunt played his first Test for Australia since the 2014 Four Nations tournament in the Kangaroos' tough 34-0 win over Lebanon. Australia will now play Samoa next week in the quarter finals where Dragons back-rower Tyson Frizell is expected to play.

Speaking of Samoa, they qualified for the Cup finals by the skin of their teeth following a 14-all draw with Scotland at Cairns's Barlow Park with help from Dragons duo Tim Lafai and Leeson Ah Mau.

In other week three results, former Dragon Russell Packer was on the receiving end of one of the biggest international upsets in history following Tonga's 28-22 win over New Zealand in Hamilton.

Tonga will now face Lebanon in the quarters while New Zealand will look to bounce back against Fiji.

2017 Rugby League World Cup week three results:

Fiji 38 (Suliasi Vunivalu 3, Kevin Naiqama, Henry Raiwalui, Brayden Wiliame, Marcelo Montoya tries; Api Koroisau 3, Taane Milne 2 goals) defeated Italy 10 (Josh Mantellato, Nathan Milone tries; Josh Mantellato goal) at Canberra Stadium. Half-time: Bati 12-4.

Tonga 28 (David Fusitu'a 3, Tuimoala Lolohea, Will Hopoate tries; Sio Siua Taukeiaho 3, Tuimoala Lolohea 1 goal(s)) defeated New Zealand 22 (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Jordan Rapana tries; Shaun Johnson 3 goals) at Waikato Stadium. Half-time: Kiwis 16-2.

Samoa 14 (Junior Paulo, Matthew Wright, Young Tonumaipea tries; Matthew Wright 1 goals) drew with Scotland 14 (Lewis Tierney, Frankie Mariano tries; Danny Addy 3 goals) at Barlow Park, Cairns. Half-time: Scotland 14-6.

Australia 34 (Cameron Munster 2, James Maloney, Boyd Cordner, Dane Gagai, Tom Trbojevic tries; James Maloney 4, Cameron Smith 1 goal(s)) defeated Lebanon 0 at Sydney Football Stadium. Half time: Australia 10-0.

Papua New Guinea 64 (Justin Olam 3, Lachlan Lam 2, James Segeyaro, Rod Griffin, Stargroth Amean, David Mead, Watson Boas, Nene Macdonald tries; Rhyse Martin 10 goals) defeated United States of America 0 at Oil Search National Football Stadium, Port Moresby. Half-time: PNG 34-0.

Ireland 34 (Oliver Roberts 2, Api Pewhairangi, Joe Philbin, Liam Finn, Liam Kay tries; Liam Finn 5 goals) defeated Wales 6 (Ben Morris try; Courtney Davies goal) at Perth Rectangular Stadium. Half-time: Ireland 22-0.

England 36 (Jermaine McGillvary 2, Gareth Widdop, Stefan Ratchford, James Graham, Mark Percival, John Bateman tries; Gareth Widdop 4 goals) defeated France 6 (Benjamin Garcia try; Lucas Albert goal) at Perth Rectangular Stadium. Half-time: England 26-6.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/13/dragons_rlwc_wrap_we.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Lafai named on wing for RLWC quarters
Tue 14th November, 06:00PM
A A

1510700065272.jpg;pvb9f5b2702c9f803b

St George Illawarra and Samoan representative Tim Lafai has been named on the wing ahead of his nation's crucial quarters clash against Australia.

Leeson Ah Mau was also named for Toa Samoa at lock, with him sure to contend with Tyson Frizell who returns for the Kangaroos on the bench after he was rested against Lebanon last weekend.

2018 recruit Ben Hunt – who topped the tackle count for Australia against the Cedars – has been named in the reserves for the Kangaroos and still may play at Darwin Stadium on Friday night.

Dragons Under-20s utility Joe Lovodua will return for Fiji from the interchange when the Bati face New Zealand in Wellington on Saturday night. Lovodua was rested for Fiji's last start victory over Italy.

Jason Nightingale may yet oppose Lovodua after being named in the reserves for the Kiwis.

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop has retained his place at fullback for England ahead of their clash against Papua New Guinea in Melbourne on Sunday afternoon.

Widdop – who was Man of the Match for England in their last start victory over France – will be joined once again by 2018 Dragon James Graham in the side.

England will face the undefeated Kumuls which will include Dragon Nene Macdonald in the centres.

The other quarter-finals clash will see Lebanon take on Tonga at Christchurch Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/14/lafai_named_on_wing_.html

ouryear

Juniors
I didn't say I was speaking to you, so the fact you decided to answer probably answers the question.

Wanker. It's a forum. It's open to everyone.

If you want to have a girlie chat, go to the girls toilets and have ya secret little meeting.

Otherwise, on here, I will comment on whatever I decide to comment on.

Got it?!

You better have.

Old Timer

Coach
An AFL fan accusing others of playing with dolls. :joy:
AFL have nothing to fear from NRL and least of all the Mickey Mouse World Cup AFL being a national sport has a far greater following and participation rate
There is much to learn from AFL if the NRL bothered to open its eyes but unfortunately they live in a vacuum
A game where traditional club rivals can attract 90,000 to the MCG has to be doing something that’s right
Can we not learn from that?

giboz71

First Grade
AFL have nothing to fear from NRL and least of all the Mickey Mouse World Cup AFL being a national sport has a far greater following and participation rate
There is much to learn from AFL if the NRL bothered to open its eyes but unfortunately they live in a vacuum
A game where traditional club rivals can attract 90,000 to the MCG has to be doing something that’s right
Can we not learn from that?

Yep agreed.

People blame Sydney fans for not getting out to games. Well, 77,000 packed ANZ last night to cheer on the Socceroos to QUALIFY for the World Cup. In a game televised live. Goes to show, if the event is attractive enough, Sydney crowds will come.

NRL not doing enough to market Sydney local derbies. The 2009 prelim (Dogs/Parra) and 2010 prelim (Dragons/Tigers) drawing over 70,000 should have been a clue.

Old Timer

Coach
Yep agreed.

People blame Sydney fans for not getting out to games. Well, 77,000 packed ANZ last night to cheer on the Socceroos to QUALIFY for the World Cup. In a game televised live. Goes to show, if the event is attractive enough, Sydney crowds will come.

NRL not doing enough to market Sydney local derbies. The 2009 prelim (Dogs/Parra) and 2010 prelim (Dragons/Tigers) drawing over 70,000 should have been a clue.
The NRL have devised a divide and conquer mentality with the Sydney Clubs and at the same time leaving Broncos and Storm unchallenged in their back yards.
Broncos crowds would gradually lower if they had 2 more Brisbane teams which in reality they should have had for some time.
Sydney is the heartland of RL and with demise of the NSWRL and the ascendency of the NRL Sydney has been completely f**ked over although the reality is that RL is a game with a small following and the crowds at club games will be 20,000 at best whilst good games at a proper RL stadium might occasionally draw 70,000 tops but who would build a stadium to cater for that spasmodic occurrence?
AFL has created a winning culture for their game and to be at a club game with 70,000 plus is a memorable experience.

grouch

First Grade
TYSON v LEESON TONIGHT!

And don't go easy on each other just because you're Dragons! I want to see you both fighting for your fans' love. Fight fight fight fight

Old Timer

Coach
Let's keep this AFL worshipping bullshit out of the Rugby League World Cup thread shall we? The game of aerial ping-pong just should not be mentioned in a thread with the word "World" in the title

The number of AFL loving trolls in this forum is astounding at times. They don't have a single relevant thing to add on international sport.

So how does those theories play out with NFL?
It has plenty of followers in here and it is hardly an international code with test matches etc.

There is a difference between an international sport and a sport with an international following.

Of course if you can come up with a single decent attendance for international (ie. between countries) gridiron, throw us a link.

Old Timer

Coach
There is a difference between an international sport and a sport with an international following.

Of course if you can come up with a single decent attendance for international (ie. between countries) gridiron, throw us a link.
Who cares if other countries watch AFL it just has to be popular here where it is played.
Having been to Asia many times there are a lot of AFL games shown up there so it has a wider audience than you give it credit for.
The Mickey Mouse World Cup is a lame attempt to try and give it trumped up status as a big international sport when in fact it is a minor sport played professionally in very limited areas around the world.
At club level AFL flogs it for live audience participation.

grouch

First Grade
Perhaps you're having a 'senior moment'. The rugby league world cup has been around since 1954. Hardly Mickey Mouse.

Nb. Mickey Mouse - that's a character who originated from the USA, who incidentally used mostly local USA players for their squad this tournament. Good word suggests a pro team based in New York is poised to be announced, to join the pro team based in Toronto, Canada.

Anyway, I digress. Australia didn't do a thing wrong tonight. How good is Slater

Old Timer

Coach
Perhaps you're having a 'senior moment'. The rugby league world cup has been around since 1954. Hardly Mickey Mouse.

Nb. Mickey Mouse - that's a character who originated from the USA, who incidentally used mostly local USA players for their squad this tournament. Good word suggests a pro team based in New York is poised to be announced, to join the pro team based in Toronto, Canada.

Anyway, I digress. Australia didn't do a thing wrong tonight. How good is Slater
In the early days of the World Cup you only had teams that played the game at full international level so it really meant something
Now you have a whole host of nations who are not even 3rd tier quality and to top it off you are allowed to actually play for 1 country and at the same time it’s okay to play for a 2nd country.
Mickey Mouse cartoon stuff
Also it shits me to see players setting records against no accounters.

Latest posts