What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...f/news-story/9673dc0ae38ff82356074c447777c51a

$1.1bn upgrade of ANZ Stadium includes a retractable roof

• Andrew Clennell
    5bcf05474f86ed11782a5560601a47f3
The $1.1 billion redevelopment of ANZ Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park is expected to include the construction of a retractable roof.

A stadium announcement expected soon by Premier Gladys Berejiklian includes, as The Australian has revealed, a $700 million knockdown and rebuild of Allianz Stadium from 2018-19 and a $1.1bn knockdown and rebuild of ANZ Stadium from 2019-21.

The ambitious plan from Sports Minister Stuart Ayres is said by government sources to have been agreed to by the NRL, which had fought for an upgrade of ANZ ahead of Allianz.

It will soon go before the full cabinet, despite the protests of some ministers, including Treasurer Dominic Perrottet, that it could hurt the budget and that the amount of the spend may cause disquiet from some voters.

But The Australian has also learnt that a retractable roof — similar to that which operates during wet weather at Melbourne’s Etihad Stadium — is set to be part of the plan.

Overall, the spend on the stadiums will push out former premier Mike Baird’s original promise of $1.6bn to $2.1bn, with $300m already having been spent on a new Parramatta Stadium.

The money is being reaped from the government’s $2.6bn sale of the Land and Property Information Service.

Under the plan, Allianz Stadium, at inner-city Moore Park, would have a capacity of 45,000 and ANZ would have a capacity of 75,000, down from 85,000, but would be redesigned as a rectangular stadium.

The plan is aimed at raising Sydney’s stadiums to the quality of those recently built in Adelaide and Perth, as well as match Melbourne’s stadiums.

It was on a trip to Tokyo in August that Ms Berejiklian first said she might be able to build both stadiums. Opposition Leader Luke Foley wants to scrap the Allianz rebuild and do ANZ alone.

“I’ll do what’s best; I’m not wedded by what envelope we’ve created,” Ms Berejiklian said at the time. “If we have the opportunity to look outside that [$1.6bn funding] envelope we will.”

The Premier said at the time that she wanted Sydney to be the “global events capital of the region”.

“We’ve got the International Convention Centre. We’re starting to see soccer matches we’ve never seen before; I want Sydney to be the regional capital for major events and we have the potential to do that,” the Premier said at the time.

In April last year, when Mr Baird committed to an ANZ Stadium knockdown and rebuild first, ANZ Stadium boss Darryl Kerry then raised the possibility of a retractable roof.

El Diablo

Post Whore
haven't read anything about the retractable roof for a while

also says the NRL approve of this plan when recently they've been opposed to other proposed plans

beave

Coach
Retractable roof is not required IMO. Will just blow out the costs.

And since when is the NRL happy that Allianz to get re-done first?

Shit article.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Todd needs to come out & reiterate the NRL's uncompromising desire to have ANZ done first.
Spell it out clearly

again !!

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
just get ANZ done first & we're on board
2018 at the completion of the GF , bring in the bulldozers
sweet

The article reads like the retractable roof is the prize if we agree to back SFS first.

The roof is totally unnecessary and way to expensive for what you actually get. Just do ANZ first with a regular roof...

Shit article.

I actually think a roof could be a big win for Sydney stadiums.

They should’ve done one for Parra & Allianz too. I think they’d pay for themselves in time.

Sydney rain season corresponds with footy season, we get about 60% of our rain in a 4 month period, March through June.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The article reads like the retractable roof is the prize if we agree to back SFS first.

The roof is totally unnecessary and way to expensive for what you actually get. Just do ANZ first with a regular roof...

well it again shows what ayres is prepared to do , to appease his cronies at the scg trust
spending an extra few hundred million of tax payers money on a roof to get allianz done first
its obscene
tell him & the nsw govt to get f**ked
its homebush first , now do it

well it again shows what ayres is prepared to do , to appease his cronies at the scg trust
spending an extra few hundred million of tax payers money on a roof to get allianz done first
its obscene
tell him & the nsw govt to get f**ked
its homebush first , now do it

A roof was always part of the ANZ plan. It’s just we haven’t heard it talked about for a while.

I’m one of Ayres biggest critics but I genuinely don’t think this has been added to sweeten the pot, it was always the goal.

It makes a lot of sense too, not just for footy but provides certaintity for big concerts in summer storm season.

Raiderdave

First Grade
A roof was always part of the ANZ plan. It’s just we haven’t heard it talked about for a while.

I’m one of Ayres biggest critics but I genuinely don’t think this has been added to sweeten the pot, it was always the goal.

It makes a lot of sense too, not just for footy but provides certaintity for big concerts in summer storm season.

im not opposed to a roof
but if thats the carrot being dangled to get allianz done first
they can suck a fat one

M2D2

Bench

Shit article.
AHHAHAHAHAH
A Roof is EXACTLY what ANZ needs. it needs a roof more than it needs to be rectangular.

El Diablo

Post Whore
AHHAHAHAHAH
A Roof is EXACTLY what ANZ needs. it needs a roof more than it needs to be rectangular.
a roof would also attract big bands to play there

people are far more likely to go to whatever is on at ANZ if they know for sure they aren't going to be sitting in the rain

Suitman

Post Whore

Yep. A roof was always part of the rebuild.

anz_stadium_rectangular17.jpg

a roof would also attract big bands to play there

people are far more likely to go to whatever is on at ANZ if they know for sure they aren't going to be sitting in the rain

Not only that, but if there’s a storm concerts sometimes have to be cancelled. And concerts happen in summer when there’s storms.

The cost of the roof will pay itself back times over.