What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth widdop

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Apparently offfered to nightingale as a way of stopping him leaving in 2018

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop wins Player of the Year Medal
Sun 17th September, 07:30PM
A A

1505640652212.jpg

St George Illawarra Dragons Awards night at Doletone House , Pyrmont .Picture : Gregg Porteous

St George Illawarra skipper Gareth Widdop has won the prestigious Dragons Player of the Year Medal at the annual presentation night on Sunday.

The English international was duly selected by both his peers and the coaching staff following a season that saw him also selected as the RLPA Five-eighth of the Year.

2017 recruit Paul Vaughan was also recognised for his outstanding season, taking home two awards in the Red V Members Player of the Year and the Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy.

Selby was a hardworking and respected Dragon who was tragically killed in a car accident in 1989, with Vaughan – who will play in the Prime Minister's XIII clash against Papua New Guinea next week – awarded the honour for displaying characteristics of the award's namesake.

Fellow recruit Cameron McInnes was awarded the Dragons Immortals Trophy, an award selected by the coaching staff in consideration with the Immortals criteria of demonstrating outstanding commitment and dedication in all aspects of rugby league.

Reigning NRL Ken Stephen Medallist Joel Thompson won his third-straight Dragons Community Involvement Award for his tireless work in the community.

Thompson also won the Mark Coyne Trophy for career development, with the back-rower currently studying a Diploma of Leadership and Management as well as him undertaking work experience in the juvenile justice system.

Young Dragons back-rower Jackson Ford won the Paul McGregor Trophy as the Under-20s Player of the Year, while Luciano Leilua and Jack Payne took home the Illawarra Player of the Year and the Illawarra Coach's Award respectively.

Dragons Player of the Year Medal Recipients:

2017: Gareth Widdop
2016:
Tyson Frizell
2015: Leeson Ah Mau
2014: Ben Creagh
2013: Trent Merrin
2012: Brett Morris
2011: Jason Nightingale
2010: Ben Creagh
2009: Ben Creagh
2008: Jason Ryles
2007: Ben Creagh
2006: Mark Gasnier and Jason Ryles
2005: Luke Bailey
2004: Mathew Head
2003: Ben Hornby
2002: Shaun Timmins
2001: Jason Ryles
2000: Trent Barrett
1999: Jamie Ainscough

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/17/widdop_wins_player_o.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Gareth Widdop wins St George Illawarra Dragons top award
After missing out on finals and finishing second in the NRL’s top pointscorer race, St George Illawarra captain Gareth Widdop was awarded the club’s individual prize, winning the Dragons Medal on Sunday night.

r0_265_5184_3191_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

All smiles: Dragons captain Gareth Widdop won the club's top individual prize during a ceremony on Sunday night. Picture: Sylvia Liber

Widdop finished with 191 points for the campaign, only behind Penrith’s Nathan Cleary.

Ben Hornby, Mark Gasnier, Jason Ryles and Ben Creagh are among the other recent Dragons Medal winners.

Paul Vaughan was also among the award winners, taking out the members player of the year prize and the Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy in recognition for his outstanding performance.

Vaughan, Tyson Frizell and departing centre Josh Dugan will play for the Australian Prime Minister’s XIII next week.

Reigning NRL Ken Stephen Medallist Joel Thompson won his third-straight Dragons Community Involvement Award for his tireless work in the community.

Thompson also won the Mark Coyne Trophy for career development, with the back-rower currently studying a Diploma of Leadership and Management as well as him undertaking work experience in the juvenile justice system.

Back-rower Jackson Ford won the Paul McGregor Trophy as the Under 20s player of the year, while Luciano Leilua received the NSW Premiership award.

DRAGONS MEDAL
St George Illawarra best individual player honour roll

2017: Gareth Widdop

2016: Tyson Frizell

2015: Leeson Ah Mau

2014: Ben Creagh

2013: Trent Merrin

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4929190/widdop-takes-out-top-award/

getsmarty

Immortal
widdop-header-4-w2000h780.jpg

St George Illawarra Dragons and England international half-back Gareth Widdop has been named the NRL’s Five-Eighth of the Year.
The Dragons star was awarded the accolade for the first time in his career last night and also finished third in the running for the Dally M Medal behind winner Cameron Smith.

Widdop, who’s in his fourth season with the Dragons after making the switch from Melbourne Storm, was also crowned St George’s Player of the Year recently.

The 28-year-old scored 10 tries in 2017 and notched 18 assists for his Dragons team-mates.

Gareth Widdop capping off a stellar 2017 season with being selected #DallyM ‘Five-eighth of the Year’! Congrats Gareth! #redv pic.twitter.com/DQI3IRAjhU

— The Dragons (@NRL_Dragons) September 27, 2017
Widdop will line up against England team-mate Scott Taylor in February 2018 when the Black and Whites face the Dragons as part of a historic double header at ANZ Stadium, which also sees Wigan Warriors lock horns with South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The back-to-back Challenge Cup holders will take on the Warriors a week prior to the double header in the first Super League game played outside of Europe at WIN Stadium in Wollongong.

Tickets and official tour packages for the historic trip to New South Wales in February 2018 are on sale now.

Tickets are on general sale and you can purchase them for the Super League clash against Wigan Warriors in Wollongong by clicking here

Tickets for the double header which sees Hull taking on St George and Wigan facing South Sydney, can be bought by clicking here

http://www.hullfc.com/news/2017-09-28-widdop-named-nrl-five-eighth-of-the-year

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2018: Ben Hunt compares Dragons teammate Gareth Widdop to Broncos legend Darren Lockyer
John Dean, FOX SPORTS
March 13, 2018 8:48pm

ST GEORGE Illawarra recruit Ben Hunt has given teammate Gareth Widdop the ultimate rap, comparing the five-eighth to Brisbane legend Darren Lockyer.

Hunt and Widdop’s on-field partnership got off to the best possible start with the international duo firing for the Dragons in their huge season-opening win over the Broncos.

Hunt, who played alongside Lockyer in his first three seasons of NRL, said Widdop shared plenty of similarities with the former Australia and Queensland champion — not just their positional switch from fullback to five-eighth.

It’s an incredible statement given Lockyer is among the favourites to be named the ninth rugby league Immortal later this year.

“I’d put Gareth up there with Darren Lockyer the way he does everything at training,” Hunt told Queenslanders Only.

“I was lucky enough to have a bit of time with Darren and then to go down there and train with (Widdop) — his knowledge of the game and everything he does is excellent.

“You come into a game and he’s the type of player, that if I do my job, he’s going to be even better.

“The more I can do in the game to open it up for him; we’re going to do a lot of damage this year.”

Hunt said his playmaking role at the Dragons had slightly changed from the way he played at the Broncos.

He put that down to his conversations with new coach Paul McGregor.

52d0a2377c3e31e3c0c63095a3cebf61

Gareth Widdop of the Dragons celebrates with his team in round one against the Broncos.

cd01ef68a0739c2c6d0030191e62c9dd

“Paul told me midway through last year he wanted a genuine halfback, someone who can take control of the team and let Gareth play his natural game,” Hunt said.

“I’ve come down and he’s asked me how I like to play and given me a few tips on how he’d like me to play as well.

“He wants me to be more up on the ball and playing off my forwards.

“The more I’m controlling the team and moving us around the better it’s going to be for the guys like Gareth and young ‘Duff’ (Matt Dufty) at the back.”

After pass his first big test, Hunt’s focus now turns to Thursday night’s local derby against Cronulla at Southern Cross Group Stadium.

It’s not the first rugby league derby the crafty playmaker’s been involved in, having taken part in the Queensland clash between Brisbane and North Queensland since 2010.

47e3e4ad008a267475564ae96ae36931

Ben Hunt in action for Dragons. Picture: Phil Hillyard
“It’s a bit of a strange feeling,” Hunt said of the Dragons-Sharks clash.

“Everyone at training has been talking about how big of a derby it is and it’s a big clash going up against those guys.

“Coming from Queensland, (Broncos-Cowboys) is one of the biggest derbies in the competition.

“You get to Suncorp and there are about 40,000 people in the stadium. It feels like a finals game.

“To be a big clash, it’s got a lot to live up to the Queensland derby.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...k=47600042205a27f699c0111cbe73f745-1520946712

getsmarty

Immortal
Gareth Widdop looking forward to continued development of Ben Hunt combination
Dragons Den News
r0_100_4486_2632_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Promising signs: Dragons five-eighth Gareth Widdop is confident his combination with Ben Hunt will continue to grow. Picture: NRL Photos.

After dismantling the Broncos in round one of the NRL, plenty of hype surrounded the St George Illawarra Dragons as they entered their round two clash with the Sharks.

What followed was a fairly dour performance and a scrappy four-point victory. Many were disappointed by what they saw. But not Dragons captain Gareth Widdop.

His side fought through trying conditions in the first half to run over the top of the Sharks in the second 40.

Further to that, it was a chance to refine his combination with halfback Ben Hunt. A chance for the pair to identify key areas to improve and iron out any early-season kinks.

“We didn’t have too much time in the preseason to work on our combination,” Widdop said. “I feel the last two weeks we’ve done some good things but we certainly need to improve as well. I say it all the time, but the more we play together on a weekend, it’s only going to improve.”

Widdop concedes the Dragons attack looked disjointed at times, with the team struggling inside the Sharks 20 metre line. He was, however, pleased with the way the team fought to get on top of their opponents.

“We got outside of our shape, our structure a little bit, which threw us off.

“But in saying that, after we went down to 12 men, we defended really well, and on the back of that scored a few points and a few penalty goals. We certainly need to fix a fair bit in attack, it was a bit scrappy, but we’ll take a win at Shark Park.”

The arrival of Hunt has allowed Widdop to play with more freedom than previous years, with Hunt steering the team around the park, and Widdop inserting himself into the attack when he sees fit.

While this has resulted in fewer touches for the Englishman, it has allowed him to be more effective when he does get his hands on the ball.

“I think I played with six or seven different halfbacks in the last few years, when you’ve got a traditional halfback in the team, he’s going to guide you around.

“It certainly does take a lot of pressure off myself. For me, I get to roam around a little bit more around the field and jump in when needed.

“I’m enjoying that at the moment, and knowing I’ve got a halfback there, and a combination that’s going to stay together for a while, and obviously with Cam McInnes there as well, it certainly helps.”

In taking this approach to the game, the pair have frequently appeared on the same side of the field, working together to manipulate the opposition defence. This, according to Tariq Sims, serves as a point of difference to other teams in the league.

“Ben complements Gaz really well,” Sims said. “They both swing through both sides of the field. From experience dealing with that, it’s always tough as a defender to isolate one half, when they keep swapping on you.”

The challenge for the Dragons will be to continue to improve throughout the season as teams become accustomed to their playing style. That task begins on Sunday afternoon against the Gold Coast Titans.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-halves-aim-to-build-on-bright-start/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons captain Gareth Widdop confident as team heads north
Local Sport
r0_106_4332_2542_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Lessons learnt: Dragons captain Gareth Widdop is confident the Dragons will not repeat the same errors they made last year. Picture: Chris Lane.

St George Illawarra Dragons captain Gareth Widdop is confident his side has learnt from the lessons of 2017 as they embark on their first interstate trip of the year.

The Dragons 2017 season was crippled by losses to clubs sitting beneath them on the ladder, with the side suffering six defeats to teams who missed the eight. The season was punctuated by a loss in the final round to the 11th-placed Bulldogs.

“We played two good teams in the last two weeks, we did some really good things and to come away with two good wins is really pleasing, really positive,” Widdop said. “But we know it’s a long season, it’s about consistency, which we keep speaking about at the club. It’s all cliche, but week by week, we need to back it up and be even better again and fix up what we didn’t do too well.

“There was that period there when we lost five games to teams down the bottom of the ladder. We shouldn’t be losing those games and the competition’s getting tougher and tougher each week. Each and every week’s tough, so it doesn’t matter who you play, you need to be on your game and if you’re not, you’ll get hurt.”

The first test of this new-found belief will come on Sunday afternoon as the Dragons take on the Gold Coast Titans in Toowoomba.

After starting the season with two straight wins against highly-fancied Broncos and Sharks sides, the Dragons head into Sunday’s game expected to win. Exactly the type of match the team struggled with last season.

The Titans are coming off the back of a loss to the New Zealand Warriors, a performance in which the team fought hard but struggled in attack without halfback Ash Taylor. Widdop knows they will be eager to bounce back with a win, especially if Taylor returns to the side.

“They’re a good side, they’ve got some good players. They’re a gritty team, they grind out a lot of wins and every game against them is difficult. Going up to Toowoomba to play, for us it’s about having the right attitude. I believe if we turn up with the right attitude and stick to the way we want to play, then we’ll go well.”

The Dragons forwards have outpointed the opposition forward pack in the opening two games of the season and Tariq Sims said the pack is determined to make it three from three against the Titans.

“We take every week as a personal battle,” Sims said. “There’s 13 of us and 13 of them, if one to 13, we outplay our opposite number, the result usually would be leaning in our favour.

“We don’t take any game lightly, this week we’re definitely focused on consistency throughout our 80 minute performance.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5294411/dragons-out-to-build-on-solid-foundations/

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop's flying start to the NRL season

Statistics show that St George-Illawarra five-eighth Gareth Widdop deserves to be spoken about as the form player of the NRL this year.

Updated Updated 8 hours ago

His playmaking partner Ben Hunt might be lapping up all the plaudits - but the numbers show St George-Illawarra five-eighth Gareth Widdop deserves to be considered the form player of the NRL.

Heading into the southern Sydney local derby, Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan made no secret of his side's intention to target the Dragons' in-form halves at WIN Stadium on Friday night.

The laidback pairing of Hunt and Widdop have hit the ground running to have their side humming at 5-0.

Hunt has largely been credited for turning around the Dragons' fortunes since his arrival, however statistics show Widdop deserves to be spoken about as the best player in the competition.

After five rounds the Englishman is not only the equal leader for the Dally M (along with Newcastle's Mitchell Pearce and Kalyn Ponga), he leads the league in almost all of the major attacking stats.

Accord to Fox Sports Stats, he leads the league for points scored (62) and goals (29).

He's first for try assists (nine) and equal first for linebreak assists (eight).

In all, Widdop has had a hand in 98 of the Dragons' 154 points in the opening five rounds.

For comparison's sake, Widdop's 98-point contribution is greater than what eight teams have scored in total so far this season.

Asked if he planned to send one of his forwards at Widdop and Hunt, Flanagan said: "I'd like to think I've got six of them that go at them.

"They probably replicate what the Dragons are about at the moment.

"They're working well with each other. They're confident and when they get the football in their hands, they're dangerous.

"So we need to counter that, we need to keep the football away from them, we need to put them under pressure and we need to make them make tackles."

Over the first five weeks, Hunt and Widdop have looked like they're played together for years.

Not only have has Hunt eased the workload and released Widdop to play his natural game, they've looked dangerous when they both pop up on the same side of the field.

Coach Paul McGregor described the Dragons' 2018 squad as their best balanced in a long time.

"We've got a halfback to compliment Gareth, we've got an experienced player, an Australian player (Hunt)," McGregor said.

"With James (Graham) there, who is all about winning, he knows what it takes.

"For him to be out there to close out games is very important to us as well, with his leadership and the standards he sets.

"With the addition of those two guys in addition to what we had last year, experience around (Jack) de Belin, (Paul) Vaughan, (Cameron) McInnes and our edges, they know what it takes to win close games."

STATS THAT MATTER:

* The Dragons have started the season 5-0 for the first time in their history as a joint venture. Illawarra never started the season at 5-0, while St George did so four times (1927, 1959, 1985 and 1993).

* Head to head, St George-Illawarra have won 21 matches, Cronulla 19 with one draw in 2001.

Source: AAP

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/widdop-s-flying-start-to-the-nrl-season

Frank Facer

First Grade
Widdop's flying start to the NRL season

Statistics show that St George-Illawarra five-eighth Gareth Widdop deserves to be spoken about as the form player of the NRL this year.

Updated Updated 8 hours ago

His playmaking partner Ben Hunt might be lapping up all the plaudits - but the numbers show St George-Illawarra five-eighth Gareth Widdop deserves to be considered the form player of the NRL.

Heading into the southern Sydney local derby, Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan made no secret of his side's intention to target the Dragons' in-form halves at WIN Stadium on Friday night.

The laidback pairing of Hunt and Widdop have hit the ground running to have their side humming at 5-0.

Hunt has largely been credited for turning around the Dragons' fortunes since his arrival, however statistics show Widdop deserves to be spoken about as the best player in the competition.

After five rounds the Englishman is not only the equal leader for the Dally M (along with Newcastle's Mitchell Pearce and Kalyn Ponga), he leads the league in almost all of the major attacking stats.

Accord to Fox Sports Stats, he leads the league for points scored (62) and goals (29).

He's first for try assists (nine) and equal first for linebreak assists (eight).

In all, Widdop has had a hand in 98 of the Dragons' 154 points in the opening five rounds.

For comparison's sake, Widdop's 98-point contribution is greater than what eight teams have scored in total so far this season.

Asked if he planned to send one of his forwards at Widdop and Hunt, Flanagan said: "I'd like to think I've got six of them that go at them.

"They probably replicate what the Dragons are about at the moment.

"They're working well with each other. They're confident and when they get the football in their hands, they're dangerous.

"So we need to counter that, we need to keep the football away from them, we need to put them under pressure and we need to make them make tackles."

Over the first five weeks, Hunt and Widdop have looked like they're played together for years.

Not only have has Hunt eased the workload and released Widdop to play his natural game, they've looked dangerous when they both pop up on the same side of the field.

Coach Paul McGregor described the Dragons' 2018 squad as their best balanced in a long time.

"We've got a halfback to compliment Gareth, we've got an experienced player, an Australian player (Hunt)," McGregor said.

"With James (Graham) there, who is all about winning, he knows what it takes.

"For him to be out there to close out games is very important to us as well, with his leadership and the standards he sets.

"With the addition of those two guys in addition to what we had last year, experience around (Jack) de Belin, (Paul) Vaughan, (Cameron) McInnes and our edges, they know what it takes to win close games."

STATS THAT MATTER:

* The Dragons have started the season 5-0 for the first time in their history as a joint venture. Illawarra never started the season at 5-0, while St George did so four times (1927, 1959, 1985 and 1993).

* Head to head, St George-Illawarra have won 21 matches, Cronulla 19 with one draw in 2001.

Source: AAP

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/widdop-s-flying-start-to-the-nrl-season
I predicted that Hunt and Widdop will find career best form this year.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Great way to describe them! They dont look like they are trying super hard - sure, the forwards are making it very easy at this stage, but they just look like they are out there having fun.
Agreed, they look like they have known each other for years.

Widdop and Hunt are two of the most selfless halves you'll find in the game, it's great to know their egos will never clash

getsmarty

Immortal
widdopg-180401_gt_22.jpg

DRAGONS

"It was the best thing for me": Why Widdop left the Storm
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 17 Apr 2018, 08:04 PM

As he prepares for his 100th game in the famous Red V of St George Illawarra against the Warriors on Friday night, Gareth Widdop has admitted he wouldn’t be the same player if he hadn’t decided to leave Melbourne.

Widdop, who joined the Dragons in 2015 and has been captain for the past three seasons, was third in last year’s Dally M medal, arguably the player of the World Cup and has been one of the stars of the Telstra Premiership’s opening six rounds.

Yet few players thrive outside of the Storm environment and it was a big decision for Widdop to move away from a team in which he was the fourth member of an all-star spine with Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk.

“At that stage of my career it was a big move,” Widdop said. “Melbourne are obviously a great team. To leave that behind and to move was difficult but at the same time I knew, for my football career, it was the best thing for me.

“I suppose I moved here to take the next step in a leadership role and become more of a dominant ball player and if I’d stayed in Melbourne I probably would’ve sat back a bit.”

Widdop: We've still got improvement in us

While the Storm won last year’s premiership and were runners-up in 2016, the Dragons are now this season’s favourites after being the only remaining unbeaten team following the Warriors loss to Brisbane last weekend.

They are also six points clear of fifth place and on track for a finals berth that wouldn’t have alluded them last season if Manly’s salary cap breaches had been unearthed sooner.

Widdop said it was the form the Dragons displayed last season and the recruitment of halfback Ben Hunt from Brisbane that convinced him to extend his contract with the club until the end of the 2021 season.

“We showed last year what we could do at times and I knew I wanted to be a part of this team and lead it moving forward,” he said.

“Being made captain of such a proud club with a big history has been an honour and a privilege and it is great I get to run out with a great group of blokes each week and we have got a team now which is playing with a lot of confidence.”

Since Widdop’s arrival in 2015, there are only four other survivors – Jason Nightingale, Tyson Frizell, Jack de Belin and Leeson Ah Mau - of the team which was coached by Steve Price before Paul McGregor took over midway through the season.

“There’s been a hell of a lot of change in coaches and players since I move here, it is practically a new team,” he said.

“The recruitment side of things have done a good job to get to where the side is now, with the players they’ve brought in.

“I’ve had six or seven partners in the past so, in adding Ben there in the halves, it was good knowing I’d have stability for the next four or five years.

“We have got a lot of depth in the squad, we have got a lot of youth coming through and we have got a lot of experience so we have got a good balance at the moment.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/17...same-player-if-hed-stayed-at-melbourne-storm/

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop leaves premiership predictions to the punters
Dragons Den News
r0_0_4224_2074_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BIG MILESTONE: Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop will play his 100th game for the club against the Warriors on Friday. Picture: Adam McLean.

Gareth Widdop didn’t listen to the bookies when they tipped his side to miss the finals, and he’s not about to start now they’ve made the Dragons premiership favourites.

Paul McGregor’s men were largely friendless in premiership betting prior to season kickoff, but have firmed into title favouritism on the back of a red-hot 6-0 start to the year.

Widdop has led the charge – sitting second in Dally M voting and leading the competition with 78 points – but the Dragons skipper said he’s happy to leave title predictions to the punters.

“They jump on it quick when you’re winning don’t they,” Widdop said.

“We all play this game to win premierships, there’s not doubt about that, but it’s about the process first. We’re certainly happy with the way we’ve started the season but there’s still areas we need to work on and improve.

“[Favouritism’s] a little bit different but we’re not worried about what people say externally. Everyone’s voicing their opinion and that’s fair enough but we’ve always said we can only control what we do internally.”

The Dragons will meet the third-placed Warriors in Auckland on Friday in what will be Widdop’s 100th game for the club since shifting from Melbourne at the end of 2013.

Recent history is littered with players who’ve left the Storm only to see their form plummet of a cliff, but Widdop believes it’s been the making of him.

“It’s gone quick when you say it’s a hundred games already,” he said.

“It feels like yesterday that I got here. At that stage of my career it was a big move, I had a few kids and a fair bit of support down in Melbourne.

“Melbourne are obviously a great team as well. To leave that behind and to move was difficult but at the same time I knew, for my football career, it was the best thing for me.

“I moved here to take the next step in a leadership role and become more of a dominant player and. If I’d stayed in Melbourne I probably would’ve sat back a bit.

“I’ve certainly enjoyed my time here so far and being made captain of such a proud club with a big history has been an honour and a privilege.”

It hasn’t all been smooth sailing since making the move, with just one finals appearance in his four seasons amid large-scale changes in coaching and playing personnel.

However, having inked a four-year contract extension in 2017, Widdop said things have rarely looked as rosy as they do in his fifth season with the club.

“It’s been a little bit of a roller coaster but, with that, you learn to adapt to change and you learn to deal with things that don’t go your way,” Widdop said.

“There’s been a hell of a lot of change in coaches and players since I came here in 2014 but the recruitment side of things have done a good job with the players they’ve brought in. .

“It’s been mentioned a lot I’ve had six or seven partners in the past so, in adding Ben [Hunt] there in the halves, it was good knowing I’d have stability for the next four or five years.

“We showed last year what we could do at times and I knew I wanted to be a part of this team and lead it moving forward.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...talk-a-matter-for-the-punters-widdop/?cs=3713