What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Rugby League World Cup

since77

Juniors
Scotland played out a draw with New Zealand in the 4 Nations last year and you want to dump them?

Anyway, I hope that absolutely scintillating, pulsating display of the greatest game of all today shuts up the naysayers (but I doubt it)

You're missing the point Grouch. One good game doesnt justify a tournament that, to any objective observer, is a farce. Its interesting that you can't stand mediocrity when it comes to the Dragons, but you're cool with it at what should be the highest level - international football.
Again I'll restate that I'd love to see a stronger International game - but we're no way near a competitive playing field after the top 3 or 4 teams.
Look at NZ. They lose a few players - for "disciplinary" reasons and a few defectors. All of a sudden, a mediocre Fiji side can beat them. People are making the mistake of assuming Fiji have improved - no, NZ have gone backwards. Meanwhile the top side in the tournament, Australia, could afford to lose 2, possibly 3 entire squads of players before they'd fall back to the rest of the field.
I'd like to see smarter rules on eligibility and a fairer distribution of pay to help the minnows. Get them playing more regularly against opposition more suited to them.

SBD82

Coach
You're missing the point Grouch. One good game doesnt justify a tournament that, to any objective observer, is a farce. Its interesting that you can't stand mediocrity when it comes to the Dragons, but you're cool with it at what should be the highest level - international football.
Again I'll restate that I'd love to see a stronger International game - but we're no way near a competitive playing field after the top 3 or 4 teams.
Look at NZ. They lose a few players - for "disciplinary" reasons and a few defectors. All of a sudden, a mediocre Fiji side can beat them. People are making the mistake of assuming Fiji have improved - no, NZ have gone backwards. Meanwhile the top side in the tournament, Australia, could afford to lose 2, possibly 3 entire squads of players before they'd fall back to the rest of the field.
I'd like to see smarter rules on eligibility and a fairer distribution of pay to help the minnows. Get them playing more regularly against opposition more suited to them.
My experience of this World Cup is that the people who are criticizing it haven't watched, or they've only watched the Australian games.

It wasn't a perfect World Cup. But it was awesome. There was so much enjoyment to be had if you just let yourself enjoy the footy. The passion that the players showed for their respective nations was beautiful to behold.

And some of the crowds were spectacular. Especially the tonga and png supporters.

The eligibility rules come under constant criticism. But do you want to be the one who has to tell taumololo that he isn't Tongan? We are living in a world where there has been unprecedented movement of people, and the IRLF has responded as best as it could have for league. If you want tonga Fiji and Samoa to continue to struggle and NZ, and Australia to continue to dominate we should go back to having the rigid eligibility rules. But this tournament has vindicated the teired system. It has worked.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
My experience of this World Cup is that the people who are criticizing it haven't watched, or they've only watched the Australian games.
Excellent point. I've watched as many as I could and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of the games have been really entertaining and at times high quality. The Fiji v England game was a nail biter while other games had a ton of flair and open footy.

If nothing else, the World Cup has been excellent for teams like Tonga, Samoa, PNG and Fiji. To put this in perspective, PNG (for example) have a whole country behind them who are willing to wait in long queues to cheer their team on. By comparison, Australians are happy to stay at home and just expect our national team to win.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons RLWC Wrap: Semis
Mon 27th November, 09:00AM
A A

The 2017 Rugby League World Cup will culminate when Australia take on England at Suncorp Stadium following each nation's semi-final success over the weekend.

St George Illawarra back-rower Tyson Frizell played part in Australia's 54-6 win over Fiji in Brisbane on Friday night.

While Sharks winger Valentine Holmes stole the show with six tries – making it 11 four-pointers in just two Tests – Frizell contributed to the Kangaroos' victory by producing 95 metres and 13 tackles.

Unfortunately the Bati's defeat spelled the end of young Dragons utility Joe Lovodua's World Cup.

Lovodua played every Test for Fiji bar one throughout the tournament and will now have a few weeks off before reporting to the Under-20s pre-season.

England and Dragons duo Gareth Widdop and James Graham will also be present in the World Cup final following their 20-18 win over a fast-finishing Tonga in Auckland.

Up 20-0 in the final seven minutes, Tonga put three tries past England in quick succession but couldn't find a fourth in the dying stages of the game.

In the Women's Rugby League World Cup, the Jillaroos backed up their 88-0 win over Canada from earlier in the week by beating them again to qualify for the tournament final.

The Jillaroos' 58-6 win on Sunday afternoon at Southern Cross Group Stadium was enjoyed by Dragons Ambassador Kezie Apps, though unfortunately fellow Ambassador Sam Bremner failed to take the field again.

The Jillaroos will now take on the Kiwi Ferns at Suncorp Stadium on Friday evening prior to the men's World Cup final.

2017 Rugby League World Cup results:

Jillaroos 88 (Tamara Zahara 3, Vanessa Foliaki 3, Elianna Walton 3, Karina Brown 3, Corban McGregor 2, Chelsea Baker 2, Ruan Sims, Maddie Studdon tries; Maddie Studdon 8 goals) defeated Canada Ravens 0 at Southern Cross Group Stadium. Half-time: Jillaroos 44-0.

Australia 54 (Valentine Holmes 6, Billy Slater 2, Dane Gagai 2 tries; Cameron Smith 7 goals) defeated Fiji 6 (Suliasi Vunivalu try; Apisai Koroisau goal) at Suncorp Stadium. Half-time: Australia 22-2.

England 20 (Jermaine McGillvary, Gareth Widdop, John Bateman tries; Gareth Widdop 4 goals) defeated Tonga 18 (Tevita Pangai Junior, Siliva Havili, Tuimoala Lolohea tries; Sio Siua Taukeiaho 3 goals) at Mount Smart Stadium. Half time: England 12-0.

Jillaroos 58 (Isabelle Kelly 2, Karina Brown 2, Ali Brigginshaw 2, Stephanie Hancock 2, Talesha Quinn, Ruan Sims, Nakia Davis-Welsh tries; Caitlin Moran 7 goals) defeated Canada Ravens 6 (Natasha Smith try; Irene Patrinos 1 goal) at Southern Cross Group Stadium. Half-time: Jillaroos 42-0.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/27/dragons_rlwc_wrap_se.af_news.html

SBD82

Coach
Excellent point. I've watched as many as I could and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of the games have been really entertaining and at times high quality. The Fiji v England game was a nail biter while other games had a ton of flair and open footy.

If nothing else, the World Cup has been excellent for teams like Tonga, Samoa, PNG and Fiji. To put this in perspective, PNG (for example) have a whole country behind them who are willing to wait in long queues to cheer their team on. By comparison, Australians are happy to stay at home and just expect our national team to win.
Exactly. Or sit and complain about the eligibility criteria.

I find it interesting that the whinging that I've heard has come from Australian and English supporters. Not once have I heard a Tongan or PNG person say that the rules should be changed back. Pretty poor form to be so far ahead of the pack and still complain. Reeks of poor sportsmanship to me.

getsmarty

Immortal
Helensburgh star racing World Cup final clock
Local Sport
r0_0_5472_3648_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

50-50: Sam Bremner looks on at Jillaroos training. Picture: Sylvia Liber
Jillaroos rookie Nakia Davis-Welsh has vowed not to kick stones if she is overlooked for Sam Bremner for Australia’s Women’s Rugby League World Cup final.

Bremner is racing the clock to be fit for Saturday’s final against New Zealand after missing Sunday’s semi-final win over Canada due to a niggling leg injury.

The Helensburgh star got through the side’s training run the day prior but ruled herself out believing she wasn’t yet 100 per cent.

Coach Brad Donald is faced with a cut-throat decision whether to include his star Bremner, or whether to stick with Redfern-based Davis-Welsh, who has been a standout since debuting in the tournament opener.

‘‘Sammy’s a great person on and off the field. She was really supportive of me, so no matter what I’d be happy,” Davis Welsh told AAP.

“Brad’s a really good coach and he knows what he’s doing and whatever he does will be best for the team.’’

Should Bremner return on Saturday, Davis-Welsh would likely slot in at centre or on the wing having played outside of Bremner for NSW the past two years

‘‘Even if (Bremner) came back for this, it wouldn’t make a difference because I love wing as well,” she said.

“Just being here - I’d be stoked even if I was on the bench.’’

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5083698/bremner-still-part-of-final-equation/?cs=302

grouch

First Grade
So a few days later and I'm still a bit peeved about this terrible post!

Rugby league's World Cup is a long way from perfect in a few areas, but to call it a farce is not only wrong, it's borderline insulting.

The crowds in Australia, have been poor, no doubt. There's some merit to the suggestion that the Australian rugby league audience is spoilt year-long with the best players in the world and would struggle to justify seeing them run around again in Oct-November. This is an Aussie phenomenon though - it should be noted that not only did PNG sell out all their games, as did a few in NZ, but almost every game of the 2013 RLWC in the UK was well attended - including a full house at Wembley. Also, it's worth noting that the tv ratings performed well and the Kangaroos games have rated as high as any other NRL games this year - despite the blowouts. Now, about the blowouts. They obviously occur in this world cup, and in other world cups (although such is the sport of rugby league, that a significantly weaker team cannot scrap their way to a narrow 2-0 loss - they'll cop 40 every time). The Kangaroos are an awesome beast of a team and they have been for decades. But, they did lose the World Cup in 08, and have been knocked off in the 4 Nations twice since then as well. Dominant, but not invincible. In any case, surely countries deserve to pit themselves against the very best? Everyone's aim in every sport is to compete with the champs. What's the point of bothering with international rugby league if a country like Lebanon or Scotland is left out? Lebanon were a bees dick away from beating Tonga, who beat New Zealand, who beat the awesome dominant Aussies to win the World Cup in 2008? Scotland made the quarters in 2013 and earned a historic draw against NZ last year - the first non-tier 1 team to earn a point in the 4 Nations.

Ok ,that's enough for criticism. Now for some praise. What's to like about the World Cup?

The celebration of rugby league. As a fan of the greatest game of all, I get sentimental about the World Cup. England, the country that created this game, competing against Papua New Guinea where the game is revered as a religion. It only happens in a World Cup. France, a former giant of international rugby league and the country that conceived the World Cup back the 50's, competing against Lebanon, whose own domestic league is in it's infancy. Seeing Fijian superstars like Vunivalu and Uate strut their staff against a USA team of mostly domestic players. It's really only during the World Cup that we get to extend our gaze beyond the corridor of Wollongong-Kogarah-Homebush-Moore Park etc, and comprehend the history and reach of rugby league. I like it.

Oh, and the games are entertaining as well. And not just the Tonga-England game. It was also Tonga v NZ, and Tonga v Lebanon & Tonga v Samoa. Basically any Tonga game this tournament. The aforementioned Lebanon v France was a ripper, as was the Ireland upset over Italy. The Scotland-Samoa draw. The Fiji v NZ upset. Australia v England in the opener was tense and high quality, and anyone's game until the final few minutes. England have improved since and the final should be good. Some of these have not been perfect flawless football, but they have been exhilaratingly fun to watch

Another aspect that has come to the fore in the 2017 tournament is the vivid cultural celebration, particularly of the home nations and the Pacific Islands. The Samoa-Tonga joint Siva Tau/Sipi Tau before their match is one of the most spine-tingling displays I've ever seen on a sporting field - without a ball being kicked. Unforgettable. The raucous PNG pre-match featuring performers in full cultural costumes played before packed, heaving home stadiums. The hymns of the Fiji team, tears streaming before the game, or linking arms with opponents after the game - even after they'd been flogged by the Kangaroos. And the Lebanese drums! I was at that game in Sydney, and before & during the game the atmosphere was of celebration - of culture, heritage, and rugby league.

As a purely intellectual exercise, I think the tournament is the purest form of rugby league competition there is. No salary caps like NRL, no exclusions like State of Origin. If you're good enough, you can play for your country on the biggest stage. Simple as that. This is also why I believe it is worth fighting for ,and worth investing in, and worth pursuing. Each World Cup has been better than the last. Let's keep it going.

Looking forward to the final

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Great post Grouch, it's been fantastic entertainment and more importantly kept the footy season going for an extra 6 weeks!!

I'd love to see a break in the NRL mid-season with a Pacific Nations Cup to accompany Origin.

Have to agree Walpole
They are thinking of doing that .
I hope that they have
PNG, Tonga, Samoa and figi.
Play and the winner is then included in the four nations at the end of the
season.

Belta

Juniors
Great post Grouch, sometimes winning is not everything, (just ask Mary, he'll vouch for that - nah just kidding)

I thoroughly enjoyed the World Cup, the display of heritage, the opportunity given to not so famous NRL players and really basically for all the reasons mentioned by Grouch

Drag Queen

Bench

Rugby league's World Cup is a long way from perfect in a few areas, but to call it a farce is not only wrong, it's borderline insulting.

The crowds in Australia, have been poor, no doubt. There's some merit to the suggestion that the Australian rugby league audience is spoilt year-long with the best players in the world and would struggle to justify seeing them run around again in Oct-November. This is an Aussie phenomenon though - it should be noted that not only did PNG sell out all their games, as did a few in NZ, but almost every game of the 2013 RLWC in the UK was well attended - including a full house at Wembley. Also, it's worth noting that the tv ratings performed well and the Kangaroos games have rated as high as any other NRL games this year - despite the blowouts. Now, about the blowouts. They obviously occur in this world cup, and in other world cups (although such is the sport of rugby league, that a significantly weaker team cannot scrap their way to a narrow 2-0 loss - they'll cop 40 every time). The Kangaroos are an awesome beast of a team and they have been for decades. But, they did lose the World Cup in 08, and have been knocked off in the 4 Nations twice since then as well. Dominant, but not invincible. In any case, surely countries deserve to pit themselves against the very best? Everyone's aim in every sport is to compete with the champs. What's the point of bothering with international rugby league if a country like Lebanon or Scotland is left out? Lebanon were a bees dick away from beating Tonga, who beat New Zealand, who beat the awesome dominant Aussies to win the World Cup in 2008? Scotland made the quarters in 2013 and earned a historic draw against NZ last year - the first non-tier 1 team to earn a point in the 4 Nations.

Ok ,that's enough for criticism. Now for some praise. What's to like about the World Cup?

The celebration of rugby league. As a fan of the greatest game of all, I get sentimental about the World Cup. England, the country that created this game, competing against Papua New Guinea where the game is revered as a religion. It only happens in a World Cup. France, a former giant of international rugby league and the country that conceived the World Cup back the 50's, competing against Lebanon, whose own domestic league is in it's infancy. Seeing Fijian superstars like Vunivalu and Uate strut their staff against a USA team of mostly domestic players. It's really only during the World Cup that we get to extend our gaze beyond the corridor of Wollongong-Kogarah-Homebush-Moore Park etc, and comprehend the history and reach of rugby league. I like it.

Oh, and the games are entertaining as well. And not just the Tonga-England game. It was also Tonga v NZ, and Tonga v Lebanon & Tonga v Samoa. Basically any Tonga game this tournament. The aforementioned Lebanon v France was a ripper, as was the Ireland upset over Italy. The Scotland-Samoa draw. The Fiji v NZ upset. Australia v England in the opener was tense and high quality, and anyone's game until the final few minutes. England have improved since and the final should be good. Some of these have not been perfect flawless football, but they have been exhilaratingly fun to watch

Another aspect that has come to the fore in the 2017 tournament is the vivid cultural celebration, particularly of the home nations and the Pacific Islands. The Samoa-Tonga joint Siva Tau/Sipi Tau before their match is one of the most spine-tingling displays I've ever seen on a sporting field - without a ball being kicked. Unforgettable. The raucous PNG pre-match featuring performers in full cultural costumes played before packed, heaving home stadiums. The hymns of the Fiji team, tears streaming before the game, or linking arms with opponents after the game - even after they'd been flogged by the Kangaroos. And the Lebanese drums! I was at that game in Sydney, and before & during the game the atmosphere was of celebration - of culture, heritage, and rugby league.

As a purely intellectual exercise, I think the tournament is the purest form of rugby league competition there is. No salary caps like NRL, no exclusions like State of Origin. If you're good enough, you can play for your country on the biggest stage. Simple as that. This is also why I believe it is worth fighting for ,and worth investing in, and worth pursuing. Each World Cup has been better than the last. Let's keep it going.

since77

Juniors

That’s the most I’ve ever seen you write, it’s nice to see the sentimental other side of Grouch ;)
I can appreciate some aspects of what you’ve written. All of the positive things you’ve mentioned could still happen in a smarter annual international rugby league program (perhaps alongside Origin).

getsmarty

Immortal
Four Dragons named for RLWC final
Tue 28th November, 06:00PM
A A

1511909840573.jpg;pv8fe7b5022060e38d

Four St George Illawarra players have been named to represent their respective countries in the 2017 Rugby League World Cup final this Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane.

Dragons back-rower Tyson Frizell has retained his position on the interchange for the tournament final while 2018 recruit Ben Hunt remains an outside chance of representing the Kangaroos after being named on the reserves list.

After winning Man of the Match in his past three Tests, Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop will once again play fullback for England. 2018 recruit James Graham has also retained his place in the front row for the World Cup's culimination.

You can see the 2017 Rugby League World Cup teamlists below.

Australia team:
1. Billy SLATER
2. Dane GAGAI
3. William CHAMBERS
4. Joshua DUGAN
5. Valentine HOLMES
6. Michael MORGAN
7. Cooper CRONK
8. Aaron WOODS
9. Cameron SMITH (c)
10. David KLEMMER
11. Boyd CORDNER
12. Matt GILLETT
13. Joshua MCGUIRE
Interchange:
14. Wade GRAHAM
15. Jordan MCLEAN
16. Reagan CAMPBELL-GILLARD
17. Tyson FRIZELL
18. Felise KAUFUSI
19. Tom TRBOJEVIC
20. Cameron MUNSTER
21. Ben HUNT

England team:
1. Gareth WIDDOP
2. Jermaine MCGILLVARY
3. Kallum WATKINS
4. John BATEMAN
5. Ryan HALL
6. Kevin BROWN
7. Luke GALE
8. Chris HILL
9. James ROBY
10. James GRAHAM
11. Samuel BURGESS
12. Elliott WHITEHEAD
13. Sean O'LOUGHLIN (c)
Interchange:
14. Alex WALMSLEY
15. Thomas BURGESS
16. Ben CURRIE
17. Chris HEIGHINGTON
18. Jonny LOMAX
19. Scott TAYLOR
20. George WILLIAMS
21. Mark PERCIVAL

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/11/28/four_dragons_named_f.html

Old Timer

Coach
Grouch
I really liked your passionate post and the positives you bring to the fore and in fact you have moved me to change position to some degree (large or small not sure)
When I refer to Mickey Mouse WC my reference is not so much to the football itself but more to do with the organising, timing, miss matches, lack of crowds, welded onto being majority played in Australia (this time round).
If more games were played in the smaller nations I would have been far happier as I believe the RL people hedge their bets by wanting to crow about it being a WC but at the same time require revenue so they become reliant on the Australian public to fund that.
Not sure how full the coffers are but the international body should play these events in the very nations where they are trying to grow the sport.
Those nations fully deserve to see their teams at home playing against the best available and that would hopefully entice young people to the sport more so than just watching it on TV.
The 9's to some degree was also supposed to do this but alas it didn't quite take off in NZ but I am sure it would have been very successful if in Tonga, Fiji, PNG although the revenue issue still rears its head.
Now that the WC is almost over I will be interested to see what is now put in place for the emerging nations over the next number of years until we all meet again because if the international body do nothing but sound the horn in 4 years time to rally the fall of RL then indeed it is Mickey Mouse at an organisational level and the smaller nations have been swindled.

SBD82

Coach
Grouch
I really liked your passionate post and the positives you bring to the fore and in fact you have moved me to change position to some degree (large or small not sure)
When I refer to Mickey Mouse WC my reference is not so much to the football itself but more to do with the organising, timing, miss matches, lack of crowds, welded onto being majority played in Australia (this time round).
If more games were played in the smaller nations I would have been far happier as I believe the RL people hedge their bets by wanting to crow about it being a WC but at the same time require revenue so they become reliant on the Australian public to fund that.
Not sure how full the coffers are but the international body should play these events in the very nations where they are trying to grow the sport.
Those nations fully deserve to see their teams at home playing against the best available and that would hopefully entice young people to the sport more so than just watching it on TV.
The 9's to some degree was also supposed to do this but alas it didn't quite take off in NZ but I am sure it would have been very successful if in Tonga, Fiji, PNG although the revenue issue still rears its head.
Now that the WC is almost over I will be interested to see what is now put in place for the emerging nations over the next number of years until we all meet again because if the international body do nothing but sound the horn in 4 years time to rally the fall of RL then indeed it is Mickey Mouse at an organisational level and the smaller nations have been swindled.
Well shit. @grouch moved the immovable object. I'm impressed with both of you.

I think you guys are absolutely overthinking this.

I watched a bunch of games and they were great. I love NRL but is so very structured. It was really enjoyable watching footy being played by really talented athletes.
That's the danger of judging a competition without watching the games. The two posters you quote clearly have no idea.

Well said lad

Crush

Coach

I find it curious that every post you have ever made about anything has always been negative yet all of your posts about the World Cup are super positive and the polar opposite of your posts about NRL.
Unusual behavior.

Latest posts