What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clinton Gutherson

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I can't understand the hype surrounding Hayne, and why he keeps getting selected for representative teams. He is the 'Andrew Ettingshausen' of this era.

st.phil

Bench
Gutho will play for state and country soon enough - really doubt they'd let him go, franchise player

possm

Coach
I think Parra will have a big year next year. They will have a backline of

1 Gutherson
2 French
3 Hayne
4 Jennings
5 Hoffman
6 Norman
7 Moses

That looks like a pretty good backline to me. I also believe that Arthur will get Hayne performing well. Arthur will not tolerate an BS. If Hayne does not perform, or has a negative effect on the team, then Arthur will take the appropriate action. I like Arthur as a coach. I probably have Parra finishing 4th right now.

1 Gutherson Dufty
2 French Field
3 Hayne Lafai
4 Jennings Mann
5 Hoffman Lomax
6 Norman Widdop
7 Moses Hunt

Frank Facer

First Grade
1 Gutherson Dufty
2 French Field
3 Hayne Lafai
4 Jennings Mann
5 Hoffman Lomax
6 Norman Widdop
7 Moses Hunt
I don't think that Mann is a centre. I would rather give Lomax first shot at centre ahead of Mann.

I don't think that Field is a winger either. A winger has to be able to take hit up's and I don't think that is Field's game. I doubt that he has played much if any wing either. I would rather give Matherson Johns a shot on the wing. He has experience on the wing, but can play centre too. He also has the physique that looks like will be able to handle the step up to first grade. He looks like a goer too.

I think Nightingale is too slow now and should have retired at the end of last year. The backline that I would like to see in the trials is

1 Dufty
2 Matherson Johns
3 Lomax
4 Lafai
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Hunt.

I would also like to see Field have a run at fullback in the trials. I would also like to see Garrick and Herbert given a run in the trials too.

The backline that I think we will start the season off with is

1 Dufty
2 Nightingale
3 Lafai
4 Aikten
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Hunt

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Don't know why you keep pushing Field on the wing. Disaster waiting to happen.
I think Field would do a better job than Nightingale especially since he has bulked up over the off season. I pray that mother Mary will ensure he improves on his defence having more confidence his body can take the relatively low punishment dished out to wingers.

Field has really good speed and elusiveness, he has been tipped to be a possible future candidate for fullback and has performed well with a very light body against men in reserve grade.

Running off Widdop and Mann of the left edge, Field would be dynamite in attack and is capable of scoring long range tries. His utility value is also a great plus giving less reason for going for a utility on the bench. I just have the feeling he would be a winner at 2 and would like to see him selected there during the trials.

BennyV

Referee
I think Field would do a better job than Nightingale especially since he has bulked up over the off season. I pray that mother Mary will ensure he improves on his defence having more confidence his body can take the relatively low punishment dished out to wingers.

Field has really good speed and elusiveness, he has been tipped to be a possible future candidate for fullback and has performed well with a very light body against men in reserve grade.

Running off Widdop and Mann of the left edge, Field would be dynamite in attack and is capable of scoring long range tries. His utility value is also a great plus giving less reason for going for a utility on the bench. I just have the feeling he would be a winner at 2 and would like to see him selected there during the trials.
There are far superior options for Nightingales wing spot amongst our juniors, including both Herbert and Garrick who are ready to go. Field is quick, but that's the only attribute he brings to the wing. Despite bulking up 13kgs (half of which he's likely to lose over the pre-season) he is still very, very light and would make little-to-no impact carting the ball out of our end. He is not tested under the high ball or making decisions in defence, and his tackling needs a lot of work. His elusiveness and ballplaying are completely wasted as a winger. But the biggest teller is that he's never played in that position, so why shoehorn him into a position in first grade when his size alone will give him enough grief trying to make the jump.

You also end up with the lightest back 3 in the game, which is begging for trouble. Field should be at fullback, 5/8 or reserve grade waiting his chance.

Latest posts