What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Rugby League World Cup

Many of us are bored shitless with the style of play churned out in the NRL. Effectively every team is indistinguishable from the next. The RLWC demonstrates that you can play different styles, which seems to be forgotten by the coaches we are currently lumped with - all of whom could be produced with the same mould.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Many of us are bored shitless with the style of play churned out in the NRL. Effectively every team is indistinguishable from the next. The RLWC demonstrates that you can play different styles, which seems to be forgotten by the coaches we are currently lumped with - all of whom could be produced with the same mould.
This has been the best RLWC in history. It is only a shame that I have lost interest with one game left and that is largely due to the boring style of play of my team, the Kangaroos.

Brutalitops

Juniors
This has been the best RLWC in history. It is only a shame that I have lost interest with one game left and that is largely due to the boring style of play of my team, the Kangaroos.
Agreed.

At this point my support for Dragons outweighs my support for Australia in the context of a WC, so I'll mostly be rooting for Widdop to have a blinder of a game. Would be amazing to see him topple a team as dominant as the Kangaroos.

Of course if by some chance Ben Hunt gets called up the same would apply there.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Agreed.

At this point my support for Dragons outweighs my support for Australia in the context of a WC, so I'll mostly be rooting for Widdop to have a blinder of a game. Would be amazing to see him topple a team as dominant as the Kangaroos.

My only interest for the final is getting through the game without Widdop, Graham, Friz (and if Hunt gets a start), them picking up a serious injury ala Hodgson. That would really throw a spanner into our season.

BTW.....Aust by 20

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Agreed.

What about frizz.
There you go you can cheer when he has the ball

grouch

First Grade
I find it curious that every post you have ever made about anything has always been negative yet all of your posts about the World Cup are super positive and the polar opposite of your posts about NRL.
Unusual behavior.
Being right all the time is pretty unusual behaviour, I agree.

SBD82

Coach
I find it curious that every post you have ever made about anything has always been negative yet all of your posts about the World Cup are super positive and the polar opposite of your posts about NRL.
Unusual behavior.
I don't think it's unusual at all.

I was thinking about this the other day, and why I've enjoyed the World Cup so much.

I'm pretty sure it's because I got to watch some actual footy being played.

i also haven't really supported anyone (eventually I was on board the tonga train, but who wouldn't be) so instead of pulling my hair out watching the dragons or the blues, I've been able to watch and enjoy and appreciate the skill and passion of the teams. It's been a shit run for a dragons/nsw supporter. The World Cup has come as welcome relief.

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop the key for England: Slater
Thu 30 Nov, 2017, 6:45am
By Joel Gould‌, Queensland Reporter‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

image.ashx

Billy Slater has identified Gareth Widdop as England's danger man in the World Cup final and insists the Kangaroos won't be taking their eyes off his opposite number for a second in the attacking line.

Widdop was moved to fullback by coach Wayne Bennett during this campaign and it proved a masterstroke with the former five-eighth chiming in to the backline and creating opportunities for his supports ever since.

That purple patch of form does not surprise Slater one bit.

"Gareth always had this sort of potential," he said.

"He played number one when he was coming through the under-20s and when [Melbourne] won the competition in 2009 he was a key player. Then he won a premiership with us in 2012, so we all know what Gareth Widdop is capable of. He is probably their strike weapon and we need to know where he is at all times."

Player Head-to-Head

image.ashx

Gareth
Widdop
Games Played: 5
  • Tries
    image.ashx

image.ashx

• Try Assists
    image.ashx

Slater 3
  • Line Break Assists

Widdop 6

Slater 3
  • All Run Metres

Widdop 556

Slater 590

Billy
Slater
Games Played: 4

Slater said Widdop had an incisive running game and was also a skilful passer of the football, making him doubly dangerous.

"So being aware of where Gareth is when they are attacking our tryline is probably a key for us," he said.

"That is a big indicator of where they are going to go.

"I have played a bit of footy with Gareth in Melbourne and he is a natural. So long as he has the ball in his hands he is going to be a danger."

Widdop said he hadn't played fullback for six or seven years before this tournament but had stored in his memory bank all the secrets of the position that he learned from Slater when they were at the Storm together.

"I learned a few things of Bill and hopefully those things I did learn I can use for the weekend's game," Widdop said.

"When I was coming through the 20s I was playing fullback so I worked really close with Bill.

"It has been good [at fullback] and the more I play there the more comfortable I feel."

While Slater will have his eye on Widdop, the reverse is also true.

England trained on Wednesday in the Brisbane rain and were rehearsing how they would defend the outside/inside play that Slater, Cameron Smith and Coper Cronk have mastered.

"That is one play those three boys have been doing together for the last 10 or 15 years," Widdop said.

"It is easy to watch it, but stopping it is going to be difficult.

"That is where we need to switch on, and for 80 minutes in this game, because they are going to throw all sorts of different things at us."

http://www.nrl.com/widdop-the-key-for-england-slater/tabid/10874/newsid/116668/default.aspx

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Australia are the best team & deserve to win it but is it just me? or is their structured mistake free football boring Give me the pacific island teams to watch any day , even with their high mistake rates

I have to agree.
The different styles is what made this one of the best world cups.
I hope we now organise more tests .
As I have said before .
I would like to see .
When the state of origin stand alone weekends.
That they have pacific island test match.
PNG V Figi and Tonga v Somoa.
Then the winner of the tournament could be added to the 4 nations tournament.
Imo

Bench
I must admit that I have only watched the second half of the final. Of course great to see none of our players injured, which is a bonus.
Now let’s get back to the real deal. Dragons and the season ahead.
First is to sack our coach

Drag Queen

Bench
I agree.
Unfortunately the nrl is becoming the same.
I mean watching the storm play is also very boring.
But also very successful.
Its all the slowing down off the ruck.
And the defensive tactics.
No way. I woke up from a wine coma with 10 minutes to go. I'm not a league tactician but I'm guessing England gave it to them.. low scoring game and all. Now to watch the replay and order some pizza :D

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree with the slowing down of the ruck and what about Smith's dive ? No wonder Graham gave him an earful !
Given the choice I would prefer all teams to be able to play the free flowing game that the island nations brought to the event .

However whilst we have coaches like Bellamy running around , whom seems so intent on pushing the limit when it comes to slowing the ruck and his wrestling tactics , our game will remain but a mere shadow of what it once was .

Last edited: