What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Third Party Deals Should Go

possm

Coach
THIRD-PARTY DEALS SHOULD GO

Third-party deals that don’t count on the salary cap are the most controversial component of the NRL’s pay structure and according to NRL 360’s Kent they should be thrown out of the game completely.

After becoming front and centre in Parramatta’s salary cap rort, improperly brokered third-party deals are at the centre of an investigation that threatens to bring as many as 11 player managers to their knees.

And with some clubs capable of attracting more than others, Kent said it was time to remove them altogether.

“Players can no longer argue they are being financially left in the lurch,” Kent said.

“It’s only the top earners anyway that get the third-party agreements, no one wants to sponsor player numbr 25 on your roster.

“It’s the top-end guys who are earning the big cash in their contracts, they’re getting third parties, the NRL needs to get the whole lot and throw them out and say that’s it, they are banned.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/33b68317cc8bc75af5fe334641d30c85
It's about time someone stood up and said these words publically. I've believed for a long time that this TPA scheme is a rort and undermines the salary cap. A couple of recent examples are:

1. The Hayne 700k discount in his official salary to only 500k - less than we have registered Vaugh for.
  2. The Tedesco 500k discount to his official salary to only 700k - less than the Sharks paid for Dugan.

Saintsified

Bench
AGREE. Or open it up with no cap...restriction of trade in my opinion, so what if a couple clubs go broke, sell up to a billionaire. I would like to see NRL go the NFL/NBA way where BILLIONAIRES have fun with the sport and move the teams to other cities if it benefits them. Itll stimulate way more interest in our sport. Also bring back buying and selling juniors, we alone can become a rich club from grooming juniors and selling for big bucks.

possm

Coach
3rd party deals are only a problem when your club doesn't have as many as Brisbane or Easts. If we had that kind of clout, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
I don't get your point. If you are going to have a salary cap then surely there should be a mechanism or formula to value the players. If you are going to have third party deals surely they should be outside the salary cap, arranged by a player manager and approved by the NRL.

Such a TPA should not be tied to a player contract but rather to a promotion campaign over a number of years and paid to the player no matter shich club he chooses to sigh with. These TPA's should be reserved for marquee players who the NRL want to keep within the NRL.

Above all the NRL should ensure a TPA system is hones and fair. It is the NRL's role to help clubs survive and prosper. I would go so far as to say that the NRL should ensure that ALL marquee player managers have access to APPROVED TPA sponsors; the secret is to ensure TPA sponsors are national companies who are looking for NRL marquee players to be involved in national campaigns.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
IMO the only way to stop the rorting is to have a player draft and trade windows
There are 3 ways to go about it:
1. Player nominates for the Draft and its open slather who wants to pick him up and for what price eg: Hayne wants $1m/season, that's his price tag, if a club doesn't want to pay that then he either stays with the current club or has to look overseas.
2. Player nominates for the Draft and clubs are ranked from lowest to highest eg Using last years ladder position then Newcastle would have first chance at getting him (price tag $1m for example). They can either purchase or pass, then Titans (who he currently plays for) can re-purchase at his price tag or pass then WT etc.
3. Player wants to trade to another club eg Hayne wants out of Titans to go to Eels. Hayne wants $1m but Titans require something in return, that could be other player trade (Eels to Titans) or Draft picks or both. If no trade can be done then Hayne stays or nominates for the Draft.

Trade window: Oct 10-15
Draft window: Oct 30

Issues with this are: (and using as an example Hayne currently on $1m as above)
Players deliberately undervaluing themselves: Solution - a player cannot devalue himself more than say 20% of his current contract eg Hayne on $1m the lowest he could go is 800k. This is the figure that goes on the salary cap. (I think Hayne's current contract is 1.4m so his lowest value would be $1.12m)
TPA's can still be used but not as a negotiating tool, eg: Eels cannot say to Hayne a salary of 500k plus a 500k TPA, because his min value would be 800k to start.
Long term contracts: Eg: Hayne wants $1m but wants a 3 yr deal, then that's his salary which clubs have to factor into their cap, $1m for 3 yrs.
Breaking contracts eg: Hayne signs with Parra for $1m/3yrs but wants out after 1yr. Hayne would have to nominate for the Trade window and hope someone else picks him up for $1m and can do a deal with the Eels, or nominates for the Draft where a lower ranked team may pick him up (but where he might not want to go to). If an overseas club wants him then a transfer fee would be in play (ala Walmsley).

I think this is the only way to stop the rorting of the system as it does add a measure of control and is more transparent to how much a player is valued at and how much a player is being paid.

Life's Good

Coach
3rd party deals are only a problem when your club doesn't have as many as Brisbane or Easts. If we had that kind of clout, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Agreed. Our problem is that we are off the pace when it comes to positioning our club as an attractive proposition to bring in the type of money that turns us into a major player talent wise.

latemail

Juniors
Plain and simple tpps are a f**king rort
The only difference between our club and the rorters is they know how to cheat the system better than most
Why not have a points system
Where as rep players 5 points
SOS 4 NRL 3 fringe NRL 2 reserves 1 and so on
Each points value equates to a dollar value and when you reach the cap that’s it
Something along those lines could work
And I’m sure the powers to be who are a lot more intelligent than me could make something like that work
The NRL as we know it will be like the wrestling all show and full of shit in a few years if nothing is done to stop the blatant cheating from the usual suspects

Saintsified

Bench
The only way to stop salary cap rorts is to get rid of it altogether.

Free enterprise I say , sink or swim.

Saint or sinner

Juniors
Third party contracts are legal ways to cheat the cap..I thought players values are capped by nrl Haynes $500k and tedesco $500k should never be accepted by nrl both are worth no less than $800k.. Nrl is at fault not clubs

SaintPauli

Juniors
Third party contracts are legal ways to cheat the cap..I thought players values are capped by nrl Haynes $500k and tedesco $500k should never be accepted by nrl both are worth no less than $800k.. Nrl is at fault not clubs
Yeah and the NRL is being run by Todd Greenberg who was a stout supporter of 3rd party deals. Particulary at previous clubs he operated where third party deals were rampant. 3rd party deals causes an uneven playing field for most clubs. If NRL does not change this loophole we will all be seeing Storm Roosters and Broncos always planted in the top 4. I can't say that's pleases me and it will get to a point where I will be sick of the same scummy teams at the top year after year.

Bench
Whatever system was introduced to cover the TPA and the Cap clubs like Broncos,
Easts and the others would find a way to get around the system, there was a story that some clubs uo North were arranging for players to get cheap housing under fair market value.
NRL by allowing Hayne and Tedesco to sIgn for less then their contract price from their old club makes you wonder whether there are rules for different clubs.
Is there an agenda to force clubs out of the league

Latest posts