What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ashes

Gareth67

First Grade
Couldn't believe that Smith did not enforce the follow-on ? ? ?
They will need to get at least another 150 to give our bowlers another decent crack at the poms .

Gareth67

First Grade
Good fight from England. I still think it will take a miracle for the Poms to win this test though.

I am getting a bad feeling about this . Things are going Englands way , even that LBW no decision by the umpire , towards the latter part of the days play .
They will have plenty of spirit in them when they take the field tomorrow and an entire day to get the required runs . As I said earlier , Smith should had enforced the follow-on yesterday .

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think the decision to not enforce the follow-on was the correct call. unfortunately, the application of the batsmen left a little to be desired. A little over confident, treating it as if it was a 50 over innings. And credit to the Pommy bowlers.
Now, as we stand I think we are 1 wicket away from being back in full control of this test. Get Root early and I think we will clean them up. If he sticks around then its real danger for us.
The first hour tomorrow will tell us everthing.

Gareth67

First Grade
I think the decision to not enforce the follow-on was the correct call. unfortunately, the application of the batsmen left a little to be desired. A little over confident, treating it as if it was a 50 over innings. And credit to the Pommy bowlers.
Now, as we stand I think we are 1 wicket away from being back in full control of this test. Get Root early and I think we will clean them up. If he sticks around then its real danger for us.
The first hour tomorrow will tell us everthing.

2 early wickets , then I shall breathe a lot easier .

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
In the 2nd innings with the ball dipping around we batted just like we do when we are in England and our technique was yet again found wanting.
Nothing wrong with Smith's decision everything wrong with our application to the job that was at hand.
Yes it was difficult but we were woeful.
If this mob can't apply themselves and handle the conditions in Adelaide best we don't send them to England next time as we will cop a 5-0 flogging.

OT agree we were awful but Smith made the wrong call - we are still haunted by the disasters of 2001 and 1981 where Laxman and Botham destroyed us

It was a follow on every day of the week - exposing us to the moving pink ball under lights was stupidity

blacksafake

First Grade
In the 2nd innings with the ball dipping around we batted just like we do when we are in England and our technique was yet again found wanting.
Nothing wrong with Smith's decision everything wrong with our application to the job that was at hand.
Yes it was difficult but we were woeful.
If this mob can't apply themselves and handle the conditions in Adelaide best we don't send them to England next time as we will cop a 5-0 flogging.
Exactly.
It's amazing how poor our technique is against the moving ball,especially in England & NZ.Bloke like Anderson & Bond from NZ have/did torment us for years.

Old Timer

Coach
OT agree we were awful but Smith made the wrong call - we are still haunted by the disasters of 2001 and 1981 where Laxman and Botham destroyed us

It was a follow on every day of the week - exposing us to the moving pink ball under lights was stupidity
I agree that some bad memories of follow ons have clouded judgement but the fact remains if we had of scored 175 -200 runs in quick time and got them back in everyone would have been ok with the decision.
The decision appears bad only on the basis of the outcome we achieved with the bat which was less well less than satisfactory.
Warne is a goose and has been swapping sides as to the rights and wrongs of the decision and is the expert in hindsight and IMO the only 2 people worth considering are Taylor and Chappell and both gave good analogies as to why Smith elected to bat again.
Would not have been nice possibly chasing 125 - 150 to win and in doing so having to face a new ball in the last session.
The top order need to have a good look at themselves as to how we got into such a vulnerable position.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So the first hour did tell the tale.
Good bowling firstly buy Hazlewood with the old pill and then Starc with the shiny new one.
Perth will be interesting the WACA pitch is not what it used to be with plenty of runs being scored in shield games.
Aust confidence will be sky high and Englands rock bottom.
Bring it on!!!

Crush

Coach
At the end of the day we are better than England. They have 2 great quicks and 1 great batsman.
We have 3 excellent quicks, a spinner in blinding form and our batting lineup is stronger overall.
I think now we are looking good for 5 nil.
We have lost both tosses and still won comfortably.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

On the contrary, l think Smith made the right call.
We set a figure then backed ourselves.
It was never going handed to us in a platter...... we had to ‘make it happen’ and we very did.

Well done to the Aussies!