What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: West Indies tour of New Zealand at Hamilton, Dec 9-13 2017

edabomb

First Grade
So will Niccolls still be in the team next test?

Options include:
Tom Bruce;
Colin Munro;
Watling as a batsman;
Latham to 5 and Worker opens.

All better options in my opinion and based on a NZC no Jesse policy. I like the Worker option the least despite thinking Latham would go better in the middle.

Watling at 5 as a batsmen is the first option IMO. Don't rate him hugely technically but he values his wicket much higher than most NZ batsmen in recent years, and has a very solid record to back him up.

Blundell looks to offer more with the bat than those other options against the red ball.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
So.... tell me again why Nicholls gets an unabated run at #5? Surely we can do better. Now that we are over our unconventional strokemaker phobia thanks to CDG, can we give Munro a go?

Hess wanted Munro to start bowling again, which he has done (and looks fitter than ever) with an eye to competing with Neesh and Anderson for 6 but CDG has ended their immediate test hopes.

Be a bit ironic if Munro now gets a callup at 5 now. Noone score more FC runs than Munro, so he has a chance with Bruce, Watling or Worker.

Meth

Staff member
For those of us who lament the loss of the West Indian fast bowler, bowling short and ferocious, this spell from Cummins is a thing of beauty.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Watling at 5 as a batsmen is the first option IMO. Don't rate him hugely technically but he values his wicket much higher than most NZ batsmen in recent years, and has a very solid record to back him up.

Blundell looks to offer more with the bat than those other options against the red ball.
Watling does value his wicket, but Blundel is not in the batting calibre of Bruce or Munro really, but as a keeper he doesn't necessarily need to be. Blundel, by all accounts, is better with the gloves than Watling.

Niccolls is the worst #5 I can recall in some time for NZ. Not many have rated him since 2015/16, it just seemed many were too split on Munro's approach and Bruce was a relative unknown when Niccolls beat Will Young to selection (when Taylor I think it was injured). Then BMac retired and Niccolls inherited incumbancy.

Then with a small ton in a losing effort vs Safrica by sweeping their spinner and part time spinners - Niccoll's become an auto-choice while the media question Raval not having a 100.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Santner goes. On the scorecard, not anything amazing...26 off 40 balls. Certainly not enough to satisfy the critics of his place. However, in the context of the game, a very handy innings indeed.

Meth

Staff member
Good 50 from Taylor. Happy for him to bat for the rest of the day, and maybe a little tomorrow, if we're going good. Put the game and the series out of reach

edabomb

First Grade
Watling does value his wicket, but Blundel is not in the batting calibre of Bruce or Munro really, but as a keeper he doesn't necessarily need to be. Blundel, by all accounts, is better with the gloves than Watling.

Niccolls is the worst #5 I can recall in some time for NZ. Not many have rated him since 2015/16, it just seemed many were too split on Munro's approach and Bruce was a relative unknown when Niccolls beat Will Young to selection (when Taylor I think it was injured). Then BMac retired and Niccolls inherited incumbancy.

Then with a small ton in a losing effort vs Safrica by sweeping their spinner and part time spinners - Niccoll's become an auto-choice while the media question Raval not having a 100.

Munro looked at sea in his one test. But that was 4 years ago and his domestic record is knocking the door down - so I'd be happy to see him get a shot.

Worker only averages 29 in first class cricket, actually 11 runs less than Blundell, so I'd argue that Worker is a class above him. So he needs some red ball form on the board before he comes into consideration IMO.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Munro looked at sea in his one test. But that was 4 years ago and his domestic record is knocking the door down - so I'd be happy to see him get a shot.

Worker only averages 29 in first class cricket, actually 11 runs less than Blundell, so I'd argue that Worker is a class above him. So he needs some red ball form on the board before he comes into consideration IMO.

Yeah - I'm not a fan of Worker neither. I am a fan of Tom Bruce tho.

Regards Colin Munro, being the only batsman with Martin Crowe to score 3k FC runs at over 50 in NZ prolly deserves more than 1 test on a disasterous tour to SA where he scored as many runs as Williamson - and bowled pretty usefully. Especially after the lengthy opportunities handed to Rutherford, Guptil, Niccolls, Anderson, Neesham, et al. Even Ronchi was playing some tests when Watling was fit to keep.

Last edited:

edabomb

First Grade
Yeah - I'm not a fan of Worker neither. I am a fan of Tom Bruce tho.

Regards Colin Munro, being the only batsman with Martin Crowe to score 3k FC runs at over 50 in NZ prolly deserves more than 1 test on a disasterous tour to SA where he scored as many runs as Williamson - and bowled pretty usefully. Especially after the lengthy opportunities handed to Rutherford, Guptil, Niccolls, Anderson, Neesham, et al. Even Ronchi was playing some tests when Watling was fit to keep.

My bad! Always getting Worker and Bruce mixed up. Bizarre Nicholls has jumped him and Munro for such an extended run - I'd like to see either get a go next series.

Nicholls just doesn't seem to have the technique to adjust to anything other than a flat track. And it's not as if he's churning the runs out on a flat track either.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Nicholls just doesn't seem to have the technique to adjust to anything other than a flat track. And it's not as if he's churning the runs out on a flat track either.

Niccolls is a very good sweeper and cutter. But he overplayed his hand on the recent India tour with these shots trying to force the shot. His shovel pull that he looks to play gets him out a lot, his driving is woeful and he seems to have little idea where his offstump is when playing vertical shots and defends.

I thought he was a spud in 2015/16 and I still think he's a spud now.

Bruce looks as glorious as KP in full flight imo but doesn't quite have Colin's FC runs just yet. But technically - he looks strong from what I've seen which is very limited due to our limited cricket broadcasts in NZ. Easily outclasses Niccolls in pyjama cricket and ought to be in the odi team in his place already and I won't be surprised if he is by summer's end.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Ross Taylor will leave a massive hole in the NZ batting should he retire after 2019 world cup.

Hopefully he tries to target 100 tests, that'll keep around a lot more years at this present rate with only 4 every 18 months or so.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Good 100 from Taylor - his test career just keeps getting better. 41 under DV, 47 under himself, 49 under BMac, over 70 under KW.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
NZ declare 8 down with Southee and Taylor set without a tail end slogathon first.

Over 2 days to go - a lil slogathon first would have been nice.

WI need 444.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Boult's getting some tail and got the early break through.

Looks like golf could well be on the cards Wednesday for the Black Caps.

Iafeta

Referee
Wow. Taylor was choking back the tears there. How fitting, the great Hogan himself was his mentor and he equalled him today. I recall a few years ago people calling for his head. A nice firm F U to those people from Ross today.

Outstanding career. One of the all time great NZ bats.

Latest posts