What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sri Lanka tour of India 2017

vvvrulz

Coach
Just like all those other flat track bullies with THREE double hundreds in ODI cricket....

What an entertaining knock. Again.

Oh wow you're actually serious, I'm definitely not having this conversation.

Bazal

Post Whore
Oh wow you're actually serious, I'm definitely not having this conversation.

Serious about what? Enjoying watching the bloke bat?

I'm unsure what you find so offensive about that tbh. He is very entertaining, very few batsmen I enjoy watching more in ODI cricket. Chill out FFS

vvvrulz

Coach
I thought he tried to say "superb" and "superhuman" and basically just said "what a sblaergh-human effort".

lol, gold

I mean, for goodness sake there ARE articulate Indian commentators out there.
Dravid, Bhogle, hell even Shastri knew what he was doing.

This is quite honestly some of the worst shit I've ever heard in my life.

vvvrulz

Coach
Serious about what? Enjoying watching the bloke bat?

I'm unsure what you find so offensive about that tbh. He is very entertaining, very few batsmen I enjoy watching more in ODI cricket. Chill out FFS

Hmm.. in isolation I can concede his strokeplay is very easy on the eye.

It's just absolutely impossible for me to take him seriously hitting a double ton a few days after he couldn't even get it off the square when faced with rare helpful bowling conditions.

The fact that he's smashing all these records and being mentioned in the same sentence as Viv Richards is plain insulting to me as a cricket fan.

Bazal

Post Whore
lol, gold

I mean, for goodness sake there ARE articulate Indian commentators out there.
Dravid, Bhogle, hell even Shastri knew what he was doing.

This is quite honestly some of the worst shit I've ever heard in my life.

In fairness, given a lot of them probably speak English as a second language, they are still miles in front of most of the Nein team who manage to fail at speaking their natural language.

Last I heard Bogle had turned into a bit of a BCCI stooge. Sad if true, he was very good

Bazal

Post Whore
Hmm.. in isolation I can concede his strokeplay is very easy on the eye.

It's just absolutely impossible for me to take him seriously hitting a double ton a few days after he couldn't even get it off the square when faced with rare helpful bowling conditions.

The fact that he's smashing all these records and being mentioned in the same sentence as Viv Richards is plain insulting to me as a cricket fan.

Is he really any more of a flat track bully than ABDV, though?

I mean, AB definitely makes more runs on bowler friendly tracks, but he also makes bulk runs on flat tracks just like Rohit. It's a symptom of modern ODI cricket on the whole IMO, tracks are flat and crowds want 350+... might as well enjoy watching the guys who have the ability to do what Rohit and AB and some others can do because even in ideal conditions there are still plenty that can't

JJ

Immortal
Just like all those other flat track bullies with THREE double hundreds in ODI cricket....

What an entertaining knock. Again.
Yep - flat track bully, but a good one, there are a few of them about

vvvrulz

Coach
In fairness, given a lot of them probably speak English as a second language, they are still miles in front of most of the Nein team who manage to fail at speaking their natural language.

Last I heard Bogle had turned into a bit of a BCCI stooge. Sad if true, he was very good

Oh he and Shastri are both absolute stooges, which is sad as you say because they were once good callers of the game.

Second language or not, if you are providing English commentary there must be a minimum level of proficiency in terms of *commentary*. This guy here generally has a decent enough vocabulary, I have no problem with him being able to actually speak the language, but it's just horrible to listen to his long drawn out whine as he runs out of adjectives. Thoroughly uninformative and not the least bit engaging.

Nein is a whole different story, they all are very capable of providing quality commentary and most of them have at various stages of their mic career (usually early). It's their overplaying, blokey back slapping, blatant agendas and goofy in-jokes that kills them.

vvvrulz

Coach
Is he really any more of a flat track bully than ABDV, though?I mean, AB definitely makes more runs on bowler friendly tracks, but he also makes bulk runs on flat tracks just like Rohit.

That's the point though, ABDV has proven he *can* face adverse bowling conditions. He is a far more complete player and him turning on his crazy-mode is an extension of his default sound technique.

Rohit is absolutely useless if the ball is moving around, I resent that he scores free runs on dodgy decks, no matter how pretty it is to watch.

It's a symptom of modern ODI cricket on the whole IMO, tracks are flat and crowds want 350+... might as well enjoy watching the guys who have the ability to do what Rohit and AB and some others can do because even in ideal conditions there are still plenty that can't

You're right here and this is the foundation of the whole problem.

Days like today, the 438 match, some of those ABDV innings, that crazy Anderson-Ryder partnership, they are absolutely killing the game I grew up with. When the time comes, how will I explain to the next generation that these guys are not even in the same ball park as Viv Richards.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Mathews had the ball seaming sideways at the start of the innings.

This SL 'attack' besides Lakmal is pretty ordinary, and he's no SL ATG candidate.

JJ

Immortal
When the time comes, how will I explain to the next generation that these guys are not even in the same ball park as Viv Richards.
As simple as comparing Viv's record to his peers, and the same for Sharma, Warner etc

Bazal

Post Whore
That's the point though, ABDV has proven he *can* face adverse bowling conditions. He is a far more complete player and him turning on his crazy-mode is an extension of his default sound technique.

Rohit is absolutely useless if the ball is moving around, I resent that he scores free runs on dodgy decks, no matter how pretty it is to watch.

You're right here and this is the foundation of the whole problem.

Days like today, the 438 match, some of those ABDV innings, that crazy Anderson-Ryder partnership, they are absolutely killing the game I grew up with. When the time comes, how will I explain to the next generation that these guys are not even in the same ball park as Viv Richards.

Look, I'm not saying Rohit is an all time great. You also have to take into account that he bats on the surfaces prepared by his home nation...

The guy has an outstanding eye, plays quality cricket shots and mentally is very focused. Getting to 200 runs on anything in 50 overs is no mean feat just for the mental powers needed to stay in the innings. We see it time and again these days, players get to 150 odd with heaps of time and get themselves out. *cough* David Warner *cough*. Even ABDV has never got there while Rohit has three times.

So despite the surfaces, there's plenty to respect about Rohit in ODI cricket I reckon.

Would he have been as good had he grown up on less batting friendly tracks? Who knows. But he's a lot of fun to watch

vvvrulz

Coach
This SL 'attack' besides Lakmal is pretty ordinary, and he's no SL ATG candidate.

Yet they were nearly unplayable, again merely days ago. If we also rid Wasim, McGrath, Pollock, Vaas etc. of any decent seam it would have been a very different game 20 years ago.

I'm not saying for a second that the SL attack is at that class, but that's again the point because a few days ago the scales were tipped in their favour and we saw some traditional wicket taking.

Look at this innings, there was a period of getting in but then it just turned into backyard slog until someone holed out or missed the ball.

vvvrulz

Coach
As simple as comparing Viv's record to his peers, and the same for Sharma, Warner etc

In theory, don't know how well that will go in practice.

There aren't too many sports out there that evolve so dramatically that records between generations becomes worthless.

vvvrulz

Coach
Look, I'm not saying Rohit is an all time great. You also have to take into account that he bats on the surfaces prepared by his home nation...

The guy has an outstanding eye, plays quality cricket shots and mentally is very focused. Getting to 200 runs on anything in 50 overs is no mean feat just for the mental powers needed to stay in the innings. We see it time and again these days, players get to 150 odd with heaps of time and get themselves out. *cough* David Warner *cough*. Even ABDV has never got there while Rohit has three times.

So despite the surfaces, there's plenty to respect about Rohit in ODI cricket I reckon.

Would he have been as good had he grown up on less batting friendly tracks? Who knows. But he's a lot of fun to watch

My counter to that is that ABDV didn't open, the way he was going in a couple of those innings he would have absolutely coasted past 200.

But yeah, this is all getting pretty moot - we're just trading opinions now.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yet they were nearly unplayable, again merely days ago. If we also rid Wasim, McGrath, Pollock, Vaas etc. of any decent seam it would have been a very different game 20 years ago.

I'm not saying for a second that the SL attack is at that class, but that's again the point because a few days ago the scales were tipped in their favour and we saw some traditional wicket taking.

Look at this innings, there was a period of getting in but then it just turned into backyard slog until someone holed out or missed the ball.

With respect, I think you're saying that you want more in the game for bowlers. What I'm saying is that early on - it was there. SL just didn't convert with their very ordinary seam attack.

I don't really agree with the rest of your arguments cos I'm happy to have Viv said as the best odi batsman of all time. But unlike you, I'm happy to hear if someone thinks ABDV is thought of as the second best behind Viv.

I really don't want to get into another era debate, today anyway.

Bazal

Post Whore
I actually thought the wicket was decent enough. The bowlers just bowled utter shit after the first ten or so.

I'd love to see how many full tosses they bowled to Rohit in those death overs. And how many went for six. You can't bowl that stuff to any set bat really, but definitely not a bloke who can score the way Sharma can, and it felt like they bowled heaps.

Latest posts