What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

TomRedVRiver

Bench
St George Illawarra may have found Josh Dugan’s replacement in towering teen Zac Lomax
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph

GOODBYE Josh Dugan, hello Zac Lomax.

That’s the word coming out of St George Illawarra this pre-season as expectations build around this towering 18-year-old who wants to wear the Dragons’ No.1 jumper in 2018.

An Australian schoolboy and a standout in Brad Fittler’s NSW under 18s last year playing in the centres, Lomax stands at 6’4 in the old scale and has the talent to match his frame, as well as a burning desire.

As Paul McGregor told The Daily Telegraph this week when we inquired if Lomax would be ready to play NRL next season: “You don’t want to give kids too much praise because they are only kids but he is our standout trainer by far.

“He is our fittest player in the club.”

4fa15cf72acfc4880f5fc6c5bcdd9bde

The 18-year-old has impressed with his focus in preseason training.
And he has the football in him to back up his fitness.

Fittler himself came into the top grade as a teenager so he knows exactly what it takes for young blokes to cut it against the men.

“I reckon he will be one of those blokes that once he gets his crack that will be it. You won’t be getting him out,” Fittler said.

“In last year’s game we weren’t going that well and Zac stepped up. Kicked the field goal, scored the try to win us the game really.

“In the under 18s state game he was very dominant playing in the centres. He is someone to watch out for, for sure.

“And I don’t think confidence is a problem for Zac either, which is a good thing being a young bloke.

“He just 100 per cent loves it. Totally dedicated, and he backs himself.”

41cebeb5de9a447e679593dbd064979a

Dragons coach Paul McGregor with Zac Lomax.
Which is exactly what Lomax has been doing in the countdown to Christmas, leading the way in “absolutely anything”.

“We haven’t actually put them through the timing gates (for speed) but the yo-yo test for arguments sake, which is the endurance test for repeated speed, he wins that,” McGregor continued.

And while most outside the club are tipping Matt Dufty or Kurt Mann to be fighting it out for the No.1 jumper next year, McGregor admits Lomax has made his intentions clear.

“He has a desire to play fullback because I think he feels that is where his best opportunity might be to play first grade,’ McGregor said. “But he is doing a bit of centre work and on the wing.

“You try to train them up in multiple positions so if the opportunity comes and they are ready you can blood them early.

“I won’t really know where Zac fits in until I start seeing him play against men. But he is in our top 30 and he will be challenging for a position at some stage.

“This kid has a real good fitness base, and he is big and he has done everything he has needed to do at a young age. So it is now just about doing it against men.”

LINK: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...x/news-story/1a0c828d16a2f2b212232de3ff143230

Last edited by a moderator:

Drag Queen

Bench
St George Illawarra may have found Josh Dugan’s replacement in towering teen Zac Lomax
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph

GOODBYE Josh Dugan, hello Zac Lomax.

That’s the word coming out of St George Illawarra this pre-season as expectations build around this towering 18-year-old who wants to wear the Dragons’ No.1 jumper in 2018.

An Australian schoolboy and a standout in Brad Fittler’s NSW under 18s last year playing in the centres, Lomax stands at 6’4 in the old scale and has the talent to match his frame, as well as a burning desire.

As Paul McGregor told The Daily Telegraph this week when we inquired if Lomax would be ready to play NRL next season: “You don’t want to give kids too much praise because they are only kids but he is our standout trainer by far.

“He is our fittest player in the club.”

4fa15cf72acfc4880f5fc6c5bcdd9bde

The 18-year-old has impressed with his focus in preseason training.
And he has the football in him to back up his fitness.

Fittler himself came into the top grade as a teenager so he knows exactly what it takes for young blokes to cut it against the men.

“I reckon he will be one of those blokes that once he gets his crack that will be it. You won’t be getting him out,” Fittler said.

“In last year’s game we weren’t going that well and Zac stepped up. Kicked the field goal, scored the try to win us the game really.

“In the under 18s state game he was very dominant playing in the centres. He is someone to watch out for, for sure.

“And I don’t think confidence is a problem for Zac either, which is a good thing being a young bloke.

“He just 100 per cent loves it. Totally dedicated, and he backs himself.”

41cebeb5de9a447e679593dbd064979a

Dragons coach Paul McGregor with Zac Lomax.
Which is exactly what Lomax has been doing in the countdown to Christmas, leading the way in “absolutely anything”.

“We haven’t actually put them through the timing gates (for speed) but the yo-yo test for arguments sake, which is the endurance test for repeated speed, he wins that,” McGregor continued.

And while most outside the club are tipping Matt Dufty or Kurt Mann to be fighting it out for the No.1 jumper next year, McGregor admits Lomax has made his intentions clear.

“He has a desire to play fullback because I think he feels that is where his best opportunity might be to play first grade,’ McGregor said. “But he is doing a bit of centre work and on the wing.

“You try to train them up in multiple positions so if the opportunity comes and they are ready you can blood them early.

“I won’t really know where Zac fits in until I start seeing him play against men. But he is in our top 30 and he will be challenging for a position at some stage.

“This kid has a real good fitness base, and he is big and he has done everything he has needed to do at a young age. So it is now just about doing it against men.”

Belta

Juniors
I hope Zac is given an opportunity early and goes well. Adding a big quality outside back would be a massive boost to our chances in 2018.

I would also add that any player who is spoken about and is good enough to cement a spot at 18 is highly likely to have a very bright future in the NRL

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Yes he's the future but that's the problem we have a truck load of young 18 year old stars but MARY , MARY,MARY.thats too hard I need experience .

Reddragon

Bench
Be great if Lomax was able to take over from either Aitkin or Lafai.
We have the worst centre pairing in the comp, let's face it.

Uplifting

Juniors
I hope he does turn in to be very good FG back. We need it.

I think the hardest job is the conditioning coach’s. We want these young boys to excel in FG against the most physical men in the world, the condition coach’s job is to make sure they’re physically able to handle it.

Uplifting

Juniors
I’d like to see the rules change in a way that will somehow decrease the collision of multiple bodies on a single ball runner. It would probably enable young talented backs to thrive and promote attacking football again.

Belta

Juniors
I also hate seeing a player standing motionless, being held around the legs and up high and a third player charges in at their spine/rib cage etc...but with the importance of off loading I'd say trying adjust the rules to police this would be very difficult. Even more so with some of the power house forwards that are capable of breaking free from multiple defenders.

st.phil

Bench
I don't see any downsides to be honest. Never underestimate the power of encouraging someone, especially someone who is essentially a child.
Encouragement is great...but it's best delivered in person rather than via the media.

Reactions: jak

Gareth67

First Grade
Quite a few of the forum members have noted throughout the season about just how promising a prospect this young man is . One among many that will hopefully see plenty of 1st grade in 2018 .

Back to Zac himself , what a big boy for his age , height , weight and skill in abundance , the future certainly is looking bright for him . Hope that Recruitment realise this also and lock this bloke up long term , before one of the ' no-cap ' clubs poach him .

Latest posts