What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Except over the dinner table.

and.....who says Ivan will be at the W/T in 2 years ? It will be fascinating to sit back and watch. Whether Nathan is a keen as Dad who knows. I do know on twitter when this came out some weeks ago, Nathan made reference to 'not beliving everything you read in the paper'.

Whether he stays or he goes, I don't think he will be unduely influenced by his old man. Nathan to me, seems like he knows his own mind.

What 'daady wants', and what actually happens might be 2 very different things.

GongPanther

Referee
As they say,"theres money in dem dar hills!"

But the question that really has to be asked,is money the main motivator in driving Cleary? Cleary is what I can describe as being in a "sweet spot". A place where he is settled and comfortable,and is around players he has grown around for quite a number of years.

The formula for a perfect storm is on the horizon for Penrith,and Cleary and the entire club are very well aware that success is around the corner.

By the time Cleary has to review his place to were he belongs,the club will be in a much stronger position as it is right now. So for me,I can't envision Cleary going anywhere unless he is guaranteed to go to another club which is burgeoning on a premiership win.

The case for money? Pfft...he will never be wanting for the riches that will come his way.

He will be wanting the future stability of a club that will ensure that his football career prospers for years to come. And Penrith will no doubt offer that and more.

Doomednow

Bench
If we sacrifice Gould, Cleary might stay. We can throw Griffin on the fire too if needed. Provided he stays fit and decent I'd take Cleary over both of the others.

kinghippo

Juniors
Who is currently eligible for the long service discount or whatever it is called?
Mansour may benefit from it now Moylan is gone. Also does it start from junior levels or does it have to be x amount of years in first grade?
As to Cleary I think it will all come down to premiership chance.
If we click into gear and start threatening for the title he will stay, if we are still talking potential or disappointment he will leave.

As much as it’s been suggested he move to the tigers they are a serious chance of being the spoon holders for a while, and spooners can’t sign the best players plain and simple.

Even if his Mum gets a job as tigers ceo he wouldn’t go to a team near the bottom of the comp. Everyone will find a way to throw big dollars at him, it’s the premiership potential that will sway him and at this stage we are in a very strong position to be in the mix.

pantherpuddy

Juniors
This almost reads like Cleary is certainly gone. I could be mistaken but seems off.

This sounds like Gus is cooling down the situation by saying there is plenty of time to sign Nathan. Possibly a tactic by Gus to say this so other clubs think they have plenty of time to pursue Cleary. Im sure Gus has already put a lot of thought into how he will sign Nathan. Gus uses the media in a cunning way sometimes and thats why you have to read between the lines sometimes !

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
If we sacrifice Gould, Cleary might stay. We can throw Griffin on the fire too if needed. Provided he stays fit and decent I'd take Cleary over both of the others.

I'll bite Did Gus run off with your wife and or steal ya beer. By the tone of your post you have issues with Gussy and Hook too. I'd hate to think what shape the place would be in without Gus, I fear we might have even had to merge......:eek:

Or the 2nd thought is this your attempt to wind people up, and I've walked right in (come in spinner) :oops:

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I'll bite Did Gus run off with your wife and or steal ya beer. By the tone of your post you have issues with Gussy and Hook too. I'd hate to think what shape the place would be in without Gus, I fear we might have even had to merge......:eek:

Or the 2nd thought is this your attempt to wind people up, and I've walked right in (come in spinner) :oops:

Pay no attention to the Gus bashing. It’s usually for no good reason.

OldPanther

Coach
Care to share your reasoning ? If not, I'll begin to think your just attempting to shit-stir.

How is saying I don't always agree with the "Gus is evil" talk but I can see reasons why people disagree with some of his decisions shit stirring? I think it's a perfectly legitimate point.

Short version: We won't all agree on here about things all the time and people have their reasons.

Abacus

Juniors
Usually best to take the "Gus-bashing" with a grain of salt. It is typically opinions from those that are convinced they know how the club is, or should be, run better than anyone else (including Gus). The problem is that we all have a minute fraction of the information and typically it is from media where there is a level of distortion applied.

Unfortunately when this is conveyed to those criticising the club, you can count on at least 1 regular poster to accuse the conveyor of providing intimate relations to Gus. The retaliation is typically that crticisers are not true fans/supporters and then the more moderate posters need to wade through pages of retaliatory crap by both sides before we get back to sane discussion.

The latest defense of the retaliatory crap is that this forum would be boring otherwise, although I'm sure we could all find something else to discuss if posters weren't slinging shit back and forth. The other "solution" to block posters is also counter-productive in that when sanity prevails, posters can raise salient and well informed points. This is when the true value of this forum is realised.

soc123_au

Staff member
I’m yet to see a good reason. Most of it is nonsense.
There is a multitude of reasons. Good, bad or indifferent is a matter of opinion.

Gus is a big boy and anyone that puts themselves in a position like he has knows they leave themselves open to both praise and criticism. Those that criticise him have also praised his decisions in the past. I find it amusing that a few here seem to think its some type of agenda..

The past few years a lot of his decisions have been questionable.

Appointing Corey Payne as CEO.
The spin on the Cleary sacking.
Appointing Hook without even looking at other options.
The Lew Zivanovic real estate sales (This one is a bit murkey)
TMM saga
Moylan saga
Hiku from signing to release
Aussie Jim's price tag

I'm sure others could add more. Some of these could be defended depending on your point of view, but anyone that thinks they aren't up for debate is either blind, stupid or has an agenda of their own.

OldPanther

Coach
Usually best to take the "Gus-bashing" with a grain of salt. It is typically opinions from those that are convinced they know how the club is, or should be, run better than anyone else (including Gus). The problem is that we all have a minute fraction of the information and typically it is from media where there is a level of distortion applied.

Unfortunately when this is conveyed to those criticising the club, you can count on at least 1 regular poster to accuse the conveyor of providing intimate relations to Gus. The retaliation is typically that crticisers are not true fans/supporters and then the more moderate posters need to wade through pages of retaliatory crap by both sides before we get back to sane discussion.

The latest defense of the retaliatory crap is that this forum would be boring otherwise, although I'm sure we could all find something else to discuss if posters weren't slinging shit back and forth. The other "solution" to block posters is also counter-productive in that when sanity prevails, posters can raise salient and well informed points. This is when the true value of this forum is realised.

I can see two things that relate to things I've posted here.

Yes I said someone was "close to Gus" and I owned up afterwards that I was in the wrong for saying it(I'm not the only one obviously)

I also said disagreement is what keeps things interesting but I also said in the same sentence that this applies to civil discussion(I don't know if anyone else made this point)

Abacus

Juniors
I can see two things that relate to things I've posted here.

Yes I said someone was "close to Gus" and I owned up afterwards that I was in the wrong for saying it(I'm not the only one obviously)

I also said disagreement is what keeps things interesting but I also said in the same sentence that this applies to civil discussion(I don't know if anyone else made this point)
Relax OP. My post was not directed at you. Your inference that it may have been is another issue posters need to recognise - not to take personally comments that are intended to be general.

IMO you are 1 of the more moderate and respectful posters here.

Status
Not open for further replies.