What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grassroots ( junior league) keeping Nrl accountable!

Emu01

Juniors
So the Nrl was quoted several times this year saying they want to spend millions on grassroots Rugby League. John Grant waxed lyrical about ploughing money into junior footy the old clown has no idea thank god he is going. I hope Peter Beatie has a crack.

It’s the off season now heading into a new season and I wanted make this thread so people can report here on good things you have seen from the Nrl or NSWRL in regards to increasing players/teams in your district.

Also if you believe money isn’t making its way down to grass roots you can report here as well..

I believe the Nrl/ nswrl/Qrl
should really get into the schools and recruit from them like the Afl do so well.

I have seen a few ads on tv and on this forum inviting kids to play which is a start in the right direction.

I spoke to the Liason official in the St George district and she assured me that they are going into the schools next year full on and the Dragons have a sign up day in early February at Jubilee oval where all junior clubs will be signing players with some 1st graders present that day. So I felt like some new ideas were being rolled out.

Let’s keep the nrl somewhat accountable here or praise them here.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The students at Margaret River Primary School were in a different league this week as they experienced their first taste of Rugby League. Dalyellup Rhinos Junior Rugby League Club, Australind Cowboys Junior Rugby League Club, Busselton Broncos Junior Rugby League Club, Eaton Panthers Junior Rugby League Club, Bunbury Titans Junior Rugby League Club.

All of the clubs listed here are new jnr clubs in the SW of WA. Great growth on the back of a new devpment officer position for the region and the hard work of thenSW Warriors club.

King hit

Coach
Great to hear about the development of Rugby League in Western Australia Perth Red. Hope you can keep building and that League will get bigger in the West.

Emu01

Juniors
The students at Margaret River Primary School were in a different league this week as they experienced their first taste of Rugby League. Dalyellup Rhinos Junior Rugby League Club, Australind Cowboys Junior Rugby League Club, Busselton Broncos Junior Rugby League Club, Eaton Panthers Junior Rugby League Club, Bunbury Titans Junior Rugby League Club.

All of the clubs listed here are new jnr clubs in the SW of WA. Great growth on the back of a new devpment officer position for the region and the hard work of thenSW Warriors club.

Good to hear PR I wonder if the demise of Rugby union in WA is already improving League numbers over there.

Reactions: Vee

Saxon

Bench
It’s the off season now heading into a new season and I wanted make this thread so people can report here on good things you have seen from the Nrl or NSWRL in regards to increasing players/teams in your district.
If it's only about the good work of the NRL and NSWRL at grass roots, this will be a very short thread indeed. I have no faith in either, and not much more in the QRL.

Emu01

Juniors
If it's only about the good work of the NRL and NSWRL at grass roots, this will be a very short thread indeed. I have no faith in either, and not much more in the QRL.

I was trying to be positive and just see if the Nrl actually can follow through with actions.

I don’t have much faith myself but I wanted a forum that people can actually talk about some positive news regarding growing junior numbers.

Perth Red blew me away with his information on all those new junior clubs so we are off to good start in WA.

I forgot to include Qrl as I’m not up that way maybe someone up north will chime in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good to hear PR I wonder if the demise of Rugby union in WA is already improving League numbers over there.

Not yet but there may be some positive knock ons if the nrlwa can get some better funding and more development officers. I’ve seen a strong correlation in WA between the number and location of DO’s and growth in jnr participation. The above post is our latest example where we got a DO for the South West 3 years ago and are now seeing a number of new jnr clubs starting up in that region. It really does come down to good strategy well funded equals more kids playing the game.

We’ve also seen two of our newest jnr clubs in mandurah and Ellenbrook develop really well fielding sides from under 6’s to under 16’sand starting to field snr sides for the first time this year, all in 4 years since starting up. Mandurah are also getting their own ground which is great news for their long terms goals.

North beach sea eagles have plans for a new grandstand and clubhouse which will be massive for them

And it’s very exciting to see the return of the Applecross Jets. The jets were an old club that fell over in the fallout from the SL war in WA and have been extinct for 10years. Announced this year they are making a return!

https://www.communitynews.com.au/me...pplecross-mt-pleasant-jets-rugby-league-club/

There is also major work developing jnr Rep sides across the state with rep teams from the SW, north and city regularly playing and touring. Our SG ball side continue to develop and despite the gulf in class with nsw set ups having an opportunity to p,at at that level and be in the shop window for nrl clubs is important for our jnr pathways.

We have a great team at nrlwa led by ceo John sackson who I am always impressed by. If they could get some decent funding from the nrl the game could kick on massively here. Finally a big rap to Brian Cumins and cash converters who have supported RL in WA for 30 years and without whose financial support the game wouldn’t be a shadow of what it is here. Hopefully one day he’ll get the chance to sponsor or own a perth nrl club!

Last edited:

Emu01

Juniors
Wow! Sounds very positive over in the West. If the Nrl play their cards right they could really grow the game there.

Let’s hope someone from the Nrl are reading these impressive stats you have quoted and invest some money there.

Be good if some of the Sydney clubs would be this proactive. Penrith are very positive on developing the juniors most other clubs juniors are losing ground mainly to soccer.

Last edited:

kbw

Bench
Coming into this year Eastern Suburbs junior RL branched out, moving their mods to the Balmain comp and starting their own MINI compeitition.
They were both very successful changes wit the minis being one of the few comps in NSW to grow.

The Roosters provided a tremendous amount of support and funding to enable this to be done.
NSWRL were also helpful with guidance and resources
The NRL development officer at the Roosters was great, always there helping/refereeing.

I would rather read the good stories, but take away the NGOs (development officers) and the NRL do nothing for the grassroots. Grant should go in to politics

Emu01

Juniors
That’s good to hear about the Roosters mini comp growing I have 2 young nephews playing u6’s for Clovelly and I’m pretty sure they play Sunday mornings.

I heard Peter Tunks absolutely going crazy on the radio during the week bagging the Roosters for their lack of juniors. Its encouraging when you read the actual truth from someone closer to the juniors like KBW than an old has been that just bags the Roosters unmercifully.

Emu01

Juniors
I wanted to bump this thread back up to the top because the Nrl has let junior league numbers drop and has left it to the individual clubs to try and rebuild but the clubs would rather spend their money on current first grade players not thinking of the future.

The Nrl now realises they have a crisis on their hands and want to throw money at junior league development but I don’t think they know how to go about increasing junior numbers.

The schools is the way forward get In there anyway possible like the Afl do.

League tag is a good initiative from the nrl it’s basically league without the tackles so girls and boys can play in mixed teams I believe it’s proven to be popular with girls and boys..

If you see or hear anything positive the nrl is doing in regards to growing junior league participation here is the place to document it. If you also see neglect from League governing bodies let us know as well.

Stallion

First Grade
I wanted to bump this thread back up to the top because the Nrl has let junior league numbers drop and has left it to the individual clubs to try and rebuild but the clubs would rather spend their money on current first grade players not thinking of the future.

The Nrl now realises they have a crisis on their hands and want to throw money at junior league development but I don’t think they know how to go about increasing junior numbers.

The schools is the way forward get In there anyway possible like the Afl do.

League tag is a good initiative from the nrl it’s basically league without the tackles so girls and boys can play in mixed teams I believe it’s proven to be popular with girls and boys..

If you see or hear anything positive the nrl is doing in regards to growing junior league participation here is the place to document it. If you also see neglect from League governing bodies let us know as well.

In Newcastle after taking some constructive advice, League tag has been introduced to primary schools. A gala day in term 4 had 78 schools participating. The sooner leaguetag becomes a PSSA sport statewide / Australia wide the better! It will allow primary school kids to become familiar with RL rules and play as they flow onto their high school years. A must do for rugby league development. Until touch football revisit the play the ball with the foot rule, I believe leaguetag is the best option for rugby league development. If touch football does go back to original rules then touch footy will be fundamentally and developmentally usefull to rugby league as well.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Posted this in a bears discussion thread but may be of Interest here

Jnr clubs in RL districts

Sydney
Penrith 22
Parramatta 21
Cronulla 17
Souths 16
Wests 15
Canterbury 14
Balmain 12
Manly 12
St George 9
NS 8
Roosters 4 (+ 16 CC Jnr clubs)

Total 150 Jnr clubs

Union 60 Jnr clubs
AFL 46 Jnr clubs

WA has 18 Jnr clubs & Victoria has 17
Brisbane RL site not working
Gold Coast site not working
Ipswich District 14 Jnr clubS

Emu01

Juniors
In Newcastle after taking some constructive advice, League tag has been introduced to primary schools. A gala day in term 4 had 78 schools participating. The sooner leaguetag becomes a PSSA sport statewide / Australia wide the better! It will allow primary school kids to become familiar with RL rules and play as they flow onto their high school years. A must do for rugby league development. Until touch football revisit the play the ball with the foot rule, I believe leaguetag is the best option for rugby league development. If touch football does go back to original rules then touch footy will be fundamentally and developmentally usefull to rugby league as well.

I think your right Stallion League tag has potential if it can get a fair go in the schools.

Sydney
Penrith 22
Parramatta 21
Cronulla 17
Souths 16
Wests 15
Canterbury 14
Balmain 12
Manly 12
St George 9
NS 8

Total 150 Jnr clubs

Union 60 Jnr clubs
AFL 46 Jnr clubs

Sydney
Penrith 22
Parramatta 21
Cronulla 17
Souths 16
Wests 15
Canterbury 14
Balmain 12
Manly 12
St George 9
NS 8

Total 150 Jnr clubs

Union 60 Jnr clubs
AFL 46 Jnr clubs

I reckon WA’s 18 and Victoria’s 17 will grow on the back of the western force folding in WA and the storm doing well every year plus the storms membership numbers are climbing very high now resulting in more interest in the game so junior numbers should grow there..

I’d love to see some of the clubs that have folded in the Sydney area in recent times try again even it’s only a few teams they can enter it’s better than none at all.

mongoose

Coach

Sydney
Penrith 22
Parramatta 21
Cronulla 17
Souths 16
Wests 15
Canterbury 14
Balmain 12
Manly 12
St George 9
NS 8

Total 150 Jnr clubs

Union 60 Jnr clubs
AFL 46 Jnr clubs

Thought St George would be higher than that, at least as much as Balmain or Manly?

taipan

Referee
Don't think the St George number includes the illawarra part of the JV.Only the St George council area.

girvie

Staff member
Do you know whether they all play in one competition in these two states, or are there separate competitions for city and country? How many are city based and how many country based?

Latest posts