What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Nicholls

Crush

Coach
Mitch Rein was shit. He always took a few steps before he passed allowing the defence to be on top of the player receiving the ball.
McInnes had an immediate impact because he just distributed the ball well, something Rein wasn't capable of.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Along with Cameron Smith, McInnes is the luckiest hooker to get away with forward passes from dummy half.

I cringed from this happening so much this year that I'm now considering Botox. His service is far from great.

He also lacks any creativity.

Crush

Coach
Along with Cameron Smith, McInnes is the luckiest hooker to get away with forward passes from dummy half.

I cringed from this happening so much this year that I'm now considering Botox. His service is far from great.

A good hooker, like Cam Smith, passes the ball very "flat" to put guys into holes. If McInnes can do the same that means he is doing his job well.

goggles

Juniors
Oh FFS, completely ignore "debut" that was originally used concurrently with "full season's worth of first grade experience", why don't ya?

Joisus....

The original statement from OS was:
"Maybe if you Made a record number of tackles you might slow down a bit .and it's your first full season .really some of you guys overwhelm me."

You then responded with
"It was his first full season at the Dragons, not his debut season in first grade.
People who wear blinkers overwhelm me too."

From what i can see, the expression "full season's worth of first grade experience" was not originally used at all?

SEAT 1A

Bench
Just on Rein.

Was checking out pre season injuries, Peats out indefinitely. Also, 2 other Dragon's one old, Jack Stockwell also out indefinitely and Will Mathews sign on/trial.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Matthews used to frustrate the hell out of me, along the lines of Joel Thompson.

Fantastic one game, substandard the following three.

Zero consistency.

denis preston

First Grade
Just on Rein.

Was checking out pre season injuries, Peats out indefinitely. Also, 2 other Dragon's one old, Jack Stockwell also out indefinitely and Will Mathews sign on/trial.
Thought Jack was going to be great but his body stopped growing and started breaking down at a early age. Played many more NRL games than he should have but it was with the cellar dwellers. Yes and Matthews just one tier below NRL as well but look how many games he has played with us. The Matthews /Maketo years really put in perspective how bad we had fallen from 2009/2011.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Thought Jack was going to be great but his body stopped growing and started breaking down at a early age. Played many more NRL games than he should have but it was with the cellar dwellers. Yes and Matthews just one tier below NRL as well but look how many games he has played with us. The Matthews /Maketo years really put in perspective how bad we had fallen from 2009/2011.

Shame Jack was restricted,reminded me of Ryles.

Thought Mathews with first grade experience would have been a regular bench player before his injury however, Host and Sele got the opportunity.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Cameron McInnes 2016 played 17 games for rabbits 4 tries,726 tackles average 42, 127 runs 943 m average 8 metres
2017 figures played 24 games for REDV 4 tries 1119 tackles average 47 game ,100 runs 703 metres .SO IN 2017 more tackles less run metres .MAKES SENSE TO ME and to St Jimmy mountains and molehills come to mind bloody hell your joking mate

Last edited:

True_Believer

Juniors
Cameron McInnes 2016 played 17 games for rabbits 4 tries,726 tackles average 42, 127 runs 943 m average 8 metres
2017 figures played 24 games for REDV 4 tries 1119 tackles average 47 game ,100 runs 703 metres .SO IN 2017 more tackles less run metres .MAKES SENSE TO ME

BS. You know stats and logic don't cut it in here!!!

possm

Coach
This WILL NOT HAPPEN. Lafai and Aitken have been signed as our centres for the next few years. Nightingale will never be dropped to reserve grade and Mann is seen as our utility.
Seems to me that you and Mary could be identical twins. I say to you both that simply repeating the mistakes of last year will not wash with the fans this year; won't do much for our chances in 2018 either.

possm

Coach

I'd like to see both sides having to stand 10m from the play-the-ball. In this way the ball could be passed backwards to an attacking player with plenty of fime before the defence can engage.

This would also reduce the 'gang' tackle as attacking players would have built up speed and most probably engage the defence at a much wider distance from the play-the-ball.

denis preston

First Grade
I'd like to see both sides having to stand 10m from the play-the-ball. In this way the ball could be passed backwards to an attacking player with plenty of fime before the defence can engage.

This would also reduce the 'gang' tackle as attacking players would have built up speed and most probably engage the defence at a much wider distance from the play-the-ball.
Possm, I'm sure you and 80% of NRL supporters want to see further reductions in the interchange. It has to happen to give the smaller speedier players a role and stop the one dimensional play we see today. The attrition rate in the juniors from U14 onwards must be horrendous. AFL are targeting this age for that reason.

possm

Coach
Possm, I'm sure you and 80% of NRL supporters want to see further reductions in the interchange. It has to happen to give the smaller speedier players a role and stop the one dimensional play we see today. The attrition rate in the juniors from U14 onwards must be horrendous. AFL are targeting this age for that reason.
Yes, do this too. Only how about 10 on the bench and once you come off, you stay off. By doing this you expose more reserve graders to first grade and you stop the use of big forwards for repeated short stints.

Crush

Coach
Seems to me that you and Mary could be identical twins. I say to you both that simply repeating the mistakes of last year will not wash with the fans this year; won't do much for our chances in 2018 either.
Possm, a couple of things, I am much better looking than Mary so I couldn't be his identical twin.
Secondly, I don't share this view that Mary has I am just telling you that in my opinion Mary will not make the changes that you are hoping for.
Also, Identical twins look the same but don't necessarily think the same FYI so calling me Mary's identical twin based on a comment is actually pretty stupid. Just saying.....

getsmarty

Immortal
Third time's the charm for Nicholls and Hunt
Author
Jack Brady
Timestamp
Mon 18 Dec 2017, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra recruits Darren Nicholls and Ben Hunt will soon link up for their third pre-season together ahead of the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

Nicholls and Hunt participated in the 2015 and 2016 pre-season together at the Brisbane Broncos.

Although the Holy Cross Rhinos junior played out the majority of the 2015 season with the South Sydney Rabbitohs, Nicholls and Hunt have shared many hours on the training paddock together.

Hunt is expected to report to his first official day at the Dragons in first week of January following his selection in Australia's victorious 2017 Rugby League World Cup campaign.

"I've trained with Ben over the past few years now and he’s a good bloke. I get along with him really well. I’m really looking forward to training with him again and hopefully playing alongside of him," Nicholls said.

"The way that he (Hunt) finished off the year showed he's a real running half and explosive.

"Ben led the Broncos for many years so I think he’ll do a great job down here in the 'Gong."

The 28-year-old Nicholls was also under no illusions about where he stood in the pecking order following Hunt's arrival and skipper Gareth Widdop's outstanding season.

"Obviously I’ll be behind them with them being two very good halves," Nicholls admitted.

"I'll ply my trade in the reggies (Intrust Super Premiership) to start off with. I'll work closely with them (Hunt and Widdop) and take on their style of play.

"From there, I'll hopefully be able to fill their spots whenever required."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/18/third-times-the-charm-for-nicholls-and-hunt/

Latest posts