What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still Crowing - A new book on France's national team covering 1951-1960

redvee78

Juniors
Hi everyone,

My dad has released a new book called Still Crowing.

Still Crowing is the eagerly awaited follow-up to When The Co ck Crowed, which chronicled the fabulous story of France's national rugby league team's odyssey from first match in 1934 to last game on the epic 1951 tour of Australasia.

Still Crowing takes up the story of the next 62 matches, from November 1951 to August 1960, in 350 pages, again based on contemporary reports. Lavishly illustrated with over 400 photos, with selective pen-pictures and full statistics, this is the definitive history.​

Could make for a nice xmas present for someone you know!

Book website - https://www.whenthecockcrowed.com/

Direct link to purchase from lulu.com - here.

Thanks for your support and please don't hesitate to ask questions about the book,

Paul.

Stallion

First Grade
Hi everyone,

My dad has released a new book called Still Crowing.

Still Crowing is the eagerly awaited follow-up to When The Co ck Crowed, which chronicled the fabulous story of France's national rugby league team's odyssey from first match in 1934 to last game on the epic 1951 tour of Australasia.

Still Crowing takes up the story of the next 62 matches, from November 1951 to August 1960, in 350 pages, again based on contemporary reports. Lavishly illustrated with over 400 photos, with selective pen-pictures and full statistics, this is the definitive history.​

Could make for a nice xmas present for someone you know!

Book website - https://www.whenthecockcrowed.com/

Direct link to purchase from lulu.com - here.

Thanks for your support and please don't hesitate to ask questions about the book,

Paul.

I have the book " The Forbidden Game" by Mike Rylance. Another telltale interesting read to recommend.

redvee78

Juniors

Coastbloke

Bench
It's great he has written and released the book, but it would be a depressing read given the current state of French Rugby League, particularly internationally (not that it should deter people from buying it of course :relaxed:)

Stallion

First Grade
I've bought both books and they are well worth it.

Are there any more sly tricks being implemented/used by union in repressing rugby league? I'll buy soon and will inform a former team mate of mine (that played in France in the mid to late 90s ) about it as well.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Are there any more sly tricks being implemented/used by union in repressing rugby league? I'll buy soon and will inform a former team mate of mine (that played in France in the mid to late 90s ) about it as well.

they have plenty, though they are growing so much probably don't need them anymore.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was honoured to have helped with these books. This thorough retelling of every French Test is long overdue.

He is currently working on the third book in the series. I can't wait for this one to come out either. Absolute must for your Rugby League library.

Stallion

First Grade
I was honoured to have helped with these books. This thorough retelling of every French Test is long overdue.

He is currently working on the third book in the series. I can't wait for this one to come out either. Absolute must for your Rugby League library.

Excellent stuff Madunit! Good to see someone genuinely helping out rugby league. Credit to you!
BTW. I find it concerning and unfair that certain moderators are very touchy about references on the repression of rugby league. It's astounding that a rugby league website does not encourage such a discourse. It's very relevant for the code. But anyway keep up the good work. I'm non plussed at the extremely defensive views and actions of some in control when 'controversial 'issues are discussed. It's a poor reflection of the website I feel.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excellent stuff Madunit! Good to see someone genuinely helping out rugby league. Credit to you!
BTW. I find it concerning and unfair that certain moderators are very touchy about references on the repression of rugby league. It's astounding that a rugby league website does not encourage such a discourse. It's very relevant for the code. But anyway keep up the good work. I'm non plussed at the extremely defensive views and actions of some in control when 'controversial 'issues are discussed. It's a poor reflection of the website I feel.
Stallion, the website is not touchy or discouraging conversation on such matter. It is very much open to it.

It's the petulant name calling and inability to have reasonable discourse with others of a different opinion/view which descends into an irritating, uninformative cycle of baiting and name calling that causes threads to be closed.

Stallion

First Grade
Stallion, the website is not touchy or discouraging conversation on such matter. It is very much open to it.

It's the petulant name calling and inability to have reasonable discourse with others of a different opinion/view which descends into an irritating, uninformative cycle of baiting and name calling that causes threads to be closed.

Understand and acknowledge that. Suppose when I'm insulted do I just take it? Pretty sure if you look back I am not the one whom starts such name callng. I do respond in kind. Repeatedly when comments are concerning repression of rugby league they are transferred by someone to the thread that was created using my allias names!? Please note that it's a pretty sure thing that the repression of rugby league is manifestly linked with most scenarios affecting rugby league. From my standpoint, I truelly believe I'm being bullied and unfairly treated by certain moderators due to the controversial discourse that is necessary in many discussions. The repression of this great code is in most cases all encompassing. I appreciate your recent involvement as I've truelly been at loss with consistently responding to scurrilous and disingenuous comments. The game of rugby league will not go forward if websites about the code are not properly addressing the very real issue of the code 's repression. When the code is subservientlly addressed on a site that is deemed to be for rugby league is wrong. The apathy and ignorance of such fundamental factors like not using the name of the code with appropriate respect in your site is immensely important. Anyway thanks for your input. I have tried to complain via email but have not been replied to in past times. FYI. Cheers. Stallion.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Understand and acknowledge that. Suppose when I'm insulted do I just take it? Pretty sure if you look back I am not the one whom starts such name callng. I do respond in kind. Repeatedly when comments are concerning repression of rugby league they are transferred by someone to the thread that was created using my allias names!? Please note that it's a pretty sure thing that the repression of rugby league is manifestly linked with most scenarios affecting rugby league. From my standpoint, I truelly believe I'm being bullied and unfairly treated by certain moderators due to the controversial discourse that is necessary in many discussions. The repression of this great code is in most cases all encompassing. I appreciate your recent involvement as I've truelly been at loss with consistently responding to scurrilous and disingenuous comments. The game of rugby league will not go forward if websites about the code are not properly addressing the very real issue of the code 's repression. When the code is subservientlly addressed on a site that is deemed to be for rugby league is wrong. The apathy and ignorance of such fundamental factors like not using the name of the code with appropriate respect in your site is immensely important. Anyway thanks for your input. I have tried to complain via email but have not been replied to in past times. FYI. Cheers. Stallion.
Be the bigger man. Don't go down to the level of others. It only damages your reputation and detracts from what you are saying.

Stallion

First Grade
Be the bigger man. Don't go down to the level of others. It only damages your reputation and detracts from what you are saying.

It's also true that other contributors have come into support my right to discuss. People like Batley & Coastbloke have warned me of what types are on this site. They and others have also supported me in plenty of discourses. I will be much more considerate in my use of language however it's a shame the other side should not do the same. And is their an option for me to initiate my own thread about the "Repression of rugby league; information and opinions." ?This would isolate such discussion in a purposeful thread and also be there for interested people to view.

Latest posts