What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE END OF SEASON REVIEW 2017??

SaintPauli

Juniors
I’m confused. Are you shouting at me or asking me a question?

It’s really not clear on either count..

Not at you Muzby,
Shouting at the situation and how it seems WE , The Supporters are being ignored and not considered by the club.

LINESPEED

Juniors
There was a review, unfortunately it happened when the coach was extended.

There WAS an internal review:
LOVECHILD got axed - too late though - he'd done the damage

And they found, like us, that Mary'd forgotten that LINESPEED is the physical antidote to the choker mindset. They were numbnut softcocks against the Berries!!

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
Talking to my Dragons mates(as well as this being a thread here)it’s massively disappointing that the club hasn’t even thrown a bone to the fans about (if) any changes are taking place to improve performance for 2018. It appears the club can’t even spin up any sort of excuse so have chosen the cowards way of blissful ignorance served up with a whole lot of silence.

getsmarty

Immortal
Talking to my Dragons mates(as well as this being a thread here)it’s massively disappointing that the club hasn’t even thrown a bone to the fans about (if) any changes are taking place to improve performance for 2018. It appears the club can’t even spin up any sort of excuse so have chosen the cowards way of blissful ignorance served up with a whole lot of silence.

I Reckon they are happy with 2017....close enough to making the 8..what more could you ask for LOL

possm

Coach
Wouldn't it be great if members who are 'IN' at our Club could hold a review and publish it to the media and cc to the our Club's management and Board for comment. I'm sure there are people on here who are capable of this and I'm also sure it would raise the prospects for change.

watatank

Coach
The club tends to at the very least discuss football department appointments and they haven't done that yet. After the 'external review' and missing the 8 again, it's just poor (I'm sure others will have stronger words for it)

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

SEAT 1A

Bench
I see the lack of ‘noise’ as a ‘f*ck you, we’re in charge’ to the fans.

Not just the fan's, Mary's first line.

"While we were able to exceed the critics’ expectations set out for us at the beginning of the year, we didn’t meet our own".

Why have a crack. It may make you feel good however, those same critics could also point out the club was leading the comp, had a good draw and should have made the finals.

Another expectation from those evil critics could have been to point out that the head coach re - signed when the team was at the top of the tree instead of backing yourself and wait for the season to end.

Life's Good

Coach
Not just the fan's, Mary's first line.

"While we were able to exceed the critics’ expectations set out for us at the beginning of the year, we didn’t meet our own".

Why have a crack. It may make you feel good however, those same critics could also point out the club was leading the comp, had a good draw and should have made the finals.

Another expectation from those evil critics could have been to point out that the head coach re - signed when the team was at the top of the tree instead of backing yourself and wait for the season to end.
So true. I cringed about the part Mary mentioned 6-1 to start the year. No mention of 6-17 to end the year(or whatever it was). Just be blunt and accept its not good enough and talk about what is in place for next year, what YOU have learnt (eg. better bench, players on notice, gamble on youth). Something, anything instead of spin.

I'll be up front and admit that no matter what they put out I was going to be very cynical of so I take the whole review thing with a grain of salt.

"On-field success also remains paramount to the overall success of the Dragons.
While the ninth-place finish wasn’t the desired outcome there were plenty of positive signs that suggested success isn’t too far around the corner – the club’s positive start to the 2017 season, rising talent and recruitment is a testament to this.
This was also reiterated in June, upon coach Paul McGregor re-signing with the club for a further two seasons..."

This is the tripe promoted by Brian Johnston, the Chairman.
It was repeated by Doust and also again by McGregor.
How many more times are we going to hear about the 6-1 start to the season which culminated in us bombing out of the 8?

It basically highlights the problem we have.
If the club is happy with 9th in 2017 and the way we got there, then we are in deep shit.
Doust quoting stats in his diatribe is really odd.
The whole sermon was just an exercise in rationalization and backslapping...with absolutely no justification.
No grasp of reality and no accountability.
What saves the board and coach from complete embarrassment are the improved stats for 2017.
That's precisely why Doust is ramming them down our throats.
I suggest that the 2 stats that are conveniently not mentioned is
(1) The 6-17 win loss record after the much touted 6-1 start.
(2) We were unable to beat Melbourne, Easts, Parra (twice) or Brisbane.

In the case of Melbourne, Brisbane and Easts we only played them once.
Next year we have a much harder draw so brace yourselves.
We also lost twice to the underperforming Bulldogs, once to Souths and even managed to lose to the ultimate wooden spooners Newcastle.

Melbourne, Easts, Parra were all top 4 teams and Brisbane was there abouts.
These losses were not bad luck or isolated games - they demonstrated a disturbing trend of not being competitive.

So if we take the improved stats at face value and laud Widdop for his 3rd place in the Daly M - why did we lose nearly all the games that we played against in the top 4 teams?
I can't be sure of the answer but it sure points to poor coaching.
Yet Johnston is pointing to McGregor's reappointment as a massive positive???
What I hate about this "review" is that there is absolutely no accountability - from anyone.

The Chairman, The CEO and especially the Coach.
Happy to spin improved stats, "achieving more than the experts had predicted" and especially that there were so many positives to come out of 2017 and that "success is just around the corner".
No Honesty, no accountability and no transparency afforded to the most important asset St. George have - the fans.

True_Believer

Juniors
I'll be up front and admit that no matter what they put out I was going to be very cynical of so I take the whole review thing with a grain of salt.

At least someone here is willing to be truthful.

The thread was created to bitch and moan about not having a review. And then when one is produced, to bitch and moan about it's content. So predictable.

The thread was created to bitch and moan about not having a review. And then when one is produced, to bitch and moan about it's content. So predictable.
Predictable indeed! I could have written the same review myself based on what they have been spinning.
I think the fans just want some honesty instead of continuously being fed copy redacted by a PR company.
I don't think that is not too much to ask, do you?

blacksafake

First Grade
"On-field success also remains paramount to the overall success of the Dragons.
While the ninth-place finish wasn’t the desired outcome there were plenty of positive signs that suggested success isn’t too far around the corner – the club’s positive start to the 2017 season, rising talent and recruitment is a testament to this.
This was also reiterated in June, upon coach Paul McGregor re-signing with the club for a further two seasons..."

This is the tripe promoted by Brian Johnston, the Chairman.
It was repeated by Doust and also again by McGregor.
How many more times are we going to hear about the 6-1 start to the season which culminated in us bombing out of the 8?

It basically highlights the problem we have.
If the club is happy with 9th in 2017 and the way we got there, then we are in deep shit.
Doust quoting stats in his diatribe is really odd.
The whole sermon was just an exercise in rationalization and backslapping...with absolutely no justification.
No grasp of reality and no accountability.
What saves the board and coach from complete embarrassment are the improved stats for 2017.
That's precisely why Doust is ramming them down our throats.
I suggest that the 2 stats that are conveniently not mentioned is
(1) The 6-17 win loss record after the much touted 6-1 start.
(2) We were unable to beat Melbourne, Easts, Parra (twice) or Brisbane.

In the case of Melbourne, Brisbane and Easts we only played them once.
Next year we have a much harder draw so brace yourselves.
We also lost twice to the underperforming Bulldogs, once to Souths and even managed to lose to the ultimate wooden spooners Newcastle.

Melbourne, Easts, Parra were all top 4 teams and Brisbane was there abouts.
These losses were not bad luck or isolated games - they demonstrated a disturbing trend of not being competitive.

So if we take the improved stats at face value and laud Widdop for his 3rd place in the Daly M - why did we lose nearly all the games that we played against in the top 4 teams?
I can't be sure of the answer but it sure points to poor coaching.
Yet Johnston is pointing to McGregor's reappointment as a massive positive???
What I hate about this "review" is that there is absolutely no accountability - from anyone.

The Chairman, The CEO and especially the Coach.
Happy to spin improved stats, "achieving more than the experts had predicted" and especially that there were so many positives to come out of 2017 and that "success is just around the corner".
No Honesty, no accountability and no transparency afforded to the most important asset St. George have - the fans.
I stand and applause.;)

Life's Good

Coach

That’s because the same deflection based BS is trotted out year after year. The club hasn’t earned the right to our confidence to believe that they have a handle on what it takes to be successful(Millward get a pass from me though).

Latest posts