What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact of new State - based U/20's on 2018 Intrust Super Cup

NaiveNumbskull

Juniors
We're barely over a week from the end of last season so I'm not worried unless we get into November without both bodies making some sort of official announcement.

Based on the Rabbitohs/Bears announcement this morning, it looks like the NSW U20s structure will be directly linked to the ISP teams going forward, which yes, will include a mix of NRL clubs as well. Massey and Shield comps remain.

So ultimately it looks like NSWRL will have six comps to QLD's four?
My impressions so far...

Souths
1) Usually announce and show their u20s team. This has not occured. There has not been any real news regarding an u20s squad also.

2) There have been several announced signings of players that are from the 2017 u20s squad but are included in the FG player profiles. Whether they are signed up to aim for a FG spot or are just locked up as priorities to get fulltime training...dunno. One of these players hasnt even played any u20s yet, just SG Ball.

Bears
1) Unfortunately have not been communicating much about their squads and I personally find their info quite poor (particularly for a team that wants to push for NRL inclusion) however it has improved during this season it still is below-par.

2) As to illustrate point 1 there have been absolutely ZERO announcements on players whether new signings, re-signings or even players leaving.

3) They have had a trial that included both ISP and JF. There is also pages on their site (with a Coming Soon message) that are available for both ISP and JF.

Some JF teams are keeping their NRL name, some are not. But what that means as to how much the NRL teams are involved???

Plus is the amount of involvement or lack of, uniform across each team or does it vary?

CC_Roosters

First Grade
My impressions so far...

Souths
1) Usually announce and show their u20s team. This has not occured. There has not been any real news regarding an u20s squad also.

2) There have been several announced signings of players that are from the 2017 u20s squad but are included in the FG player profiles. Whether they are signed up to aim for a FG spot or are just locked up as priorities to get fulltime training...dunno. One of these players hasnt even played any u20s yet, just SG Ball.

Bears
1) Unfortunately have not been communicating much about their squads and I personally find their info quite poor (particularly for a team that wants to push for NRL inclusion) however it has improved during this season it still is below-par.

2) As to illustrate point 1 there have been absolutely ZERO announcements on players whether new signings, re-signings or even players leaving.

3) They have had a trial that included both ISP and JF. There is also pages on their site (with a Coming Soon message) that are available for both ISP and JF.

Some JF teams are keeping their NRL name, some are not. But what that means as to how much the NRL teams are involved???

Plus is the amount of involvement or lack of, uniform across each team or does it vary?

It all circles back to how poor the NSWRL and clubs are at communicating and how bad the NSWRL is at organising competitions which us the very basis of organised sport. They seem more concerned about origin marketing and emerging origin camps than competitions imo. that it's the end of January and nobody knows the structure of the under 20 competition is alarming.

insert.pause

First Grade
It all circles back to how poor the NSWRL and clubs are at communicating and how bad the NSWRL is at organising competitions which us the very basis of organised sport. They seem more concerned about origin marketing and emerging origin camps than competitions imo. that it's the end of January and nobody knows the structure of the under 20 competition is alarming.
The NSWRL has been left behind while the rest of the game has become more professional. They are nothing but a political puppet for a few Sydney club chairman to wield against the NRL.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
While I agree re: NSWRL I don't understand QRL escapes scrutiny - MM Cup draw only just out and still no sign of Colts.

burgess1978

Juniors
It's probably also worth noting a few things re:the 20's ...

- The Victoria Thunderbolts are not the "Melbourne Storm U20's". While I appreciate that Melbourne would have had a bit to do with setting them up, they are technically a feeder club. Only a handful of their players are actually under contract for Melbourne. Most of Melbourne's NYC team from last year actually ended up with ISC teams.

- As far as "weakening" the U20 teams is concerned (15 teams instead of 4) I can respect that argument, but what has also happened (as per above) is that a lot of the Queenslanders who were playing for Sydney NYC teams have come home. If each of those 4 teams had a squad of 25 players it is not like there are only 100 good players in the U20 comp now. You probably had another 30 or so who came home from Sydney teams, and then plenty more who were good enough to play at that level but didn't have the money/ability to relocate themselves.It was the QRL after all who pushed the hardest to have this system over the NYC so they obviously see a benefit.

- There is also now a direct pathway for Queensland players from U18 --> U20 --> ISC which previously never existed. The 18's are very similar in NSW and Qld now. Rather than a shortened "rep" season which ends in May these are both full seasons. What was happening previously was that the "best" 6 or 7 players from the 18's were invited to train on with the 20's and maybe get a game or two in the back end of the year. The rest went home to their local u18's team. Now you won't see that. Those kids get to play in a high-level comp versus the best competition available all year.

hellteam

First Grade
I have been watching weekly highlights of the new colts comp on the QRL website (includes Victorian team).

Looks very high quality and a great comp, teams from everywhere.

Here is a pic of the rd 1 ladder to show all the teams represented

Colts-Ladder-r1-Final.png

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
- There is also now a direct pathway for Queensland players from U18 --> U20 --> ISC which previously never existed. The 18's are very similar in NSW and Qld now. Rather than a shortened "rep" season which ends in May these are both full seasons. What was happening previously was that the "best" 6 or 7 players from the 18's were invited to train on with the 20's and maybe get a game or two in the back end of the year. The rest went home to their local u18's team. Now you won't see that. Those kids get to play in a high-level comp versus the best competition available all year.
Sorry can you clarify what you mean here? U18 comps in both NSW and QLD are still just rep comps ending in May.

burgess1978

Juniors
Sorry can you clarify what you mean here? U18 comps in both NSW and QLD are still just rep comps ending in May.
Sorry - you are right - the way the draw was outlined on the QRL web site made it look like it was a full season but it’s still only 7 rounds.

ALX25

Juniors
As far as "weakening" the U20 teams is concerned (15 teams instead of 4) I can respect that argument, but what has also happened (as per above) is that a lot of the Queenslanders who were playing for Sydney NYC teams have come home.

Do you have a list of the Queenslander's that have moved back from interstate clubs?

Norths beat Townsville 20-16 in a reasonably entertaining grand final.

All in all, the first full year of the U20s state comp has gone pretty well though a couple of teams (the Jets & Western Mustangs) really fell away. Ever since Ive been following the local leagues, the Jets have always seemed to struggle inthe U19/U20 comps.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
The Jets young ones are more interested in getting on the drink when they know they are out of contention...care factor zero. They need a change up on how they operate. Doesnt help that their CEO of Football has called it quits

Latest posts