What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BJ Mania, I hope were going for him bigtime

Simon

Juniors
I am pretty sure that Millward was quoted as saying that we now have 900K available to spend under the cap for next year.

I am also quite sure that Millward was quoted as saying something like Field will be fullback in the future.

I think Milward was quoted as saying we have a spot available now but I've never heard him say a dollar figure. For that matter I've never heard anyone ever from any club quote an exact dollar figure as that would be unprofessional as the next player signed would be judged at that value.

I remember hearing Milward say when we re-signed Field that he may play fullback before moving to 5/8th down the track, but no where did he say he would certainly be our first choice - he needs to earn that spot.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
This 'rumour' was literally created out of nowhere by someone on this very forum. From nothing. No basis to it whatsoever.

Leilua isn't coming, Canberra have shown that they have no cap issues and have no intentions of letting BJ go.
Next!

Couldn't agree more but there is an an amusing subplot you haven't considered.

SGI hasn't signed its annual, obligatory Canberra Raiders signing yet.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
It is all very hard to figure! First we sign a lump of young speedy outside backs, then we sign Aitken, Nightingale, Lafai, Mann and persist all year with Macdonald who did not have a good season in 2017. We then endorse Field as the next fullback and promote Dufty to fullback instead. Now we hint that Lomax is the next big thing and is competing for the fullback position. To top it off we let go Thompson and say that we have our eye out for a class outside back - it is estimated we still have 900k to spend under our cap.

If it were up to me, I would have not extended Aitken so early and used the salary earmarked for Dugan, Aitken and whoever else to sign Tedesco. From there I would have built my team using Thompson's money to sigh Walmsley. Just have a look at the result:

1. Tedesco
2. Mann
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Nightingale / Macdonald / one of our young speedsters
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Sims
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Ah Mau
15. Walmsley
16. Host
17. Leilua/Nichols/Field

A premiership winning side.

You're assuming that off contract players from other clubs are enticed by the thought of McGregor as coach.

Unless the club pays massive 'overs.', they generally don't come.

Also, Walmsley will not be joining the club.

Walpole

Juniors
It would be an interesting exercise to see how quickly some people's excitement at signing B.J Leilua would turn into pure hatred for him. Three games maximum would be my guess but it would probably only take the first half of game one. Once he'd let in a try through lazy defence and given away a couple of penalties we could all go back to "Millward's an idiot for signing this bloke", "how much are we paying this muppet", "bring back Lafai" etc etc etc...

getsmarty

Immortal
It would be an interesting exercise to see how quickly some people's excitement at signing B.J Leilua would turn into pure hatred for him. Three games maximum would be my guess but it would probably only take the first half of game one. Once he'd let in a try through lazy defence and given away a couple of penalties we could all go back to "Millward's an idiot for signing this bloke", "how much are we paying this muppet", "bring back Lafai" etc etc etc...

Not needed....Lomax

possm

Coach
Not needed....Lomax
Well who than are they going to spend 900k on. After rushing to buy Allgood, Latimore, Nicholls and the backrower from Tigers, we find ourselves in need of an experienced outside back / fullback. I would prefer we buy Walmsley on a 3 year deal starting in 2018. Surely 900k would be enough to sign him and pay the transfer fee. He would be the icing on the cake, completing our first claass pack of forwards.

As for the backline, there are plenty of options but all options should include Mann Lomax. As the season progresses adjustments can be made to the backline according to form.

getsmarty

Immortal
Well who than are they going to spend 900k on. After rushing to buy Allgood, Latimore, Nicholls and the backrower from Tigers, we find ourselves in need of an experienced outside back / fullback. I would prefer we buy Walmsley on a 3 year deal starting in 2018. Surely 900k would be enough to sign him and pay the transfer fee. He would be the icing on the cake, completing our first claass pack of forwards.

As for the backline, there are plenty of options but all options should include Mann Lomax. As the season progresses adjustments can be made to the backline according to form.

a Decent Winger

possm

Coach
a Decent Winger

You know if Doust and Mary were not prepared to pay 600k for B Moz, I doubt they will pay more than that for a winger. If they were going for a back at around the 900k, I'm sure it would be a fullback. Only Tedesco or Boyd would be worth over 700k.

I'd say that Mann will occupy one wing and there is a vast number of players on the books - including a half a dozen young guns - to compete for the other.

I'd rather see the Dragons go all out to sign Walmsley and maybe there would be the odd 300k left over to sign a first grade winger..

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
You know if Doust and Mary were not prepared to pay 600k for B Moz, I doubt they will pay more than that for a winger. If they were going for a back at around the 900k, I'm sure it would be a fullback. Only Tedesco or Boyd would be worth over 700k.

I'd say that Mann will occupy one wing and there is a vast number of players on the books - including a half a dozen young guns - to compete for the other.

I'd rather see the Dragons go all out to sign Walmsley and maybe there would be the odd 300k left over to sign a first grade winger..

1. Morris left because of McGregor, not the BS 'explanation' given that he wanted to play with his brother.

2. We've already witnessed just how shabbily Mann has been treated by the 'coach'. One poor game at fullback - mind you, the WHOLE team was awful that day - and he hasn't had a sniff of another opportunity. What makes you so sure Mann is an automatic, walk up start?

Don't hold your breath.

3. As previously mentioned, Walmsley is not coming.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Possm mate Walmsley isnt coming in 2018.
The fact is we have a nice sum of cash doesnt mean we have to spend it all on 1 player. Having some funds spare allows us to upgrade a contract at anytime. You yourself are very vocal as to Lomax playing 1st grade. As you would also be aware he's probably on the minimum as well. He plays and is a star we have $$$ there and then to upgrade his contract and ward off any approach from a rival club.....you know the ones im referring to here.
We'll probably look to bolster the backline but really theres not much available. My guess they will approach someone internally after watching a few games early in the new season.
But blowing it all on an unknown NRL standard player isnt smart and leaves us too exposed.

possm

Coach
Possm mate Walmsley isnt coming in 2018.
The fact is we have a nice sum of cash doesnt mean we have to spend it all on 1 player. Having some funds spare allows us to upgrade a contract at anytime. You yourself are very vocal as to Lomax playing 1st grade. As you would also be aware he's probably on the minimum as well. He plays and is a star we have $$$ there and then to upgrade his contract and ward off any approach from a rival club.....you know the ones im referring to here.
We'll probably look to bolster the backline but really theres not much available. My guess they will approach someone internally after watching a few games early in the new season.
But blowing it all on an unknown NRL standard player isnt smart and leaves us too exposed.

Repeating last years performance and finishing out of the 8 for the 3rd time in a row while at the same time, keeping 900k salary cap up our sleeves - which can't be used in 2019, is the same sort of rubbish we have been fed for the past 6 years.

It's time to act and act decisively for season 2018..

Overseas dragon

Juniors
We have plenty of young guns waiting in the wings .don't forget if they succeed the will want a pay raise,so best leave some bikkies in the tin for a rain day.good boy IAN MILLWARD............

Latest posts