What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its time to talk about Khawaja

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Love his style. Hate how he was dumped in India. But what is going on with him? He plays like he doesn't care at times.

Unfortunately there is a big chance he'll be remembered as more style than substance

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
ton of ability but just not delivering atm

he has made 2 50s but looks like he really doesn't care and that dismissal this morning was terrible

Bazal

Post Whore
Love his style. Hate how he was dumped in India. But what is going on with him? He plays like he doesn't care at times.

Unfortunately there is a big chance he'll be remembered as more style than substance

I think you've unknowingly hit the nail on the head. Just from watching the shift in his attitude between last summer and now, or even between the Shield games and now, he looks like a player who knows that his form doesn't matter when it comes to his selection.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Usman is like Shaun Marsh,they look very elegant when there in form which tricks people into thinking they have more talent than they actually have just because there style looks nice,truth is there not very good.

some11

Referee
I can't figure out if you can separate his demeanor and the way he bats.

Naturally his 'laid back' attitude is going to irk people when he's getting out playing poor shots, Smith by comparison skewers himself for the smallest things at the crease.

Eelectrica

Referee
Selectors are going to have to start showing faith because the shield doesn't seem to be creating test players anymore.
Khawaja, Bancroft, Maxwell were among the form shield players. If they're not the answer then they're gonna have to decide who is and show patience through a few inevitable failures.

Doesn't help with the shield being suspended a few more weeks.

Give Khawaja another shot in Sydney and go from there.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
Give him a shot in Sydney.

He's got a bit of Shane Watson in him. I'm sure he tries hard but he does look lazy and disinterested. Body language is shithouse.

Granted the selectors really f**ked with him over in the subcontinent. However he had a great preparation to the Ashes series and scored well in Shield. He batted on the same pitches as everyone else.

He needs to pull his finger out and start scoring runs otherwise they'll let Hilton Cartwright be the number 3 for Australia.

Travitoh

First Grade
Selectors are going to have to start showing faith because the shield doesn't seem to be creating test players anymore.
Khawaja, Bancroft, Maxwell were among the form shield players. If they're not the answer then they're gonna have to decide who is and show patience through a few inevitable failures.

Doesn't help with the shield being suspended a few more weeks.

Give Khawaja another shot in Sydney and go from there.

The problem isn't necessarily the standard of players at domestic level but the standard of coaches i believe. Something as simple as Bancroft's tendency to just plant his front foot down the wicket instead of pointing it is something that should be fixed at Sheild level. Players shouldn't be learning how to play cricket at the top level, they should be there because they know how to play.
I don't know if the cricket academy is still a thing but that is where Australia's best coaches should be, teaching the potential stars of the future and maximising their potential. Not waiting until someone gets to the top level.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Give him a shot in Sydney.

He's got a bit of Shane Watson in him. I'm sure he tries hard but he does look lazy and disinterested. Body language is shithouse.

Granted the selectors really f**ked with him over in the subcontinent. However he had a great preparation to the Ashes series and scored well in Shield. He batted on the same pitches as everyone else.

He needs to pull his finger out and start scoring runs otherwise they'll let Hilton Cartwright be the number 3 for Australia.

The 3 Shield games he played 2 were in Brisbane his home ground where he scored all the runs. One of those games was against a 2nd sting NSW pace attack the other was v Victoria. He scored 11 in the Brisbane test. The other Shield game was Hobart, he didn't do much there, Had some great scores in the one day comp.

With the MCG test, I think maybe his fitness and mental game are not right at the moment. Watching Cook bat for 2 days, then going to bat yourself, it seems like many have pointed out, he didn't care. This is why a huge credit goes out to MMarsh. When he was in the side last time he would have done a Khawaja and thrown his wicket away.

Khawaja needs a good score in Sydney to cement his place in the side. If not then not so sure we take him to South Africa

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The problem isn't necessarily the standard of players at domestic level but the standard of coaches i believe. Something as simple as Bancroft's tendency to just plant his front foot down the wicket instead of pointing it is something that should be fixed at Sheild level. Players shouldn't be learning how to play cricket at the top level, they should be there because they know how to play.
I don't know if the cricket academy is still a thing but that is where Australia's best coaches should be, teaching the potential stars of the future and maximising their potential. Not waiting until someone gets to the top level.

agree on the coaches, if you look at Bancroft's technical issues he needs a batting coach, atm he has JL who just tries to get inside their head and talks about attitudes and the like. This is similar to what he did with Phillip Hughes when he was the Aussie batting coach, he did nothing for Hughe's technique, he used to talk about winning the games within the games and general head space stuff

lockyno1

Post Whore
Won’t say I’ll ever be his biggest fan but should get the Sydney test and then let’s look at him. He is ordinary overseas so his place should come under scrutiny

hineyrulz

Post Whore
agree on the coaches, if you look at Bancroft's technical issues he needs a batting coach, atm he has JL who just tries to get inside their head and talks about attitudes and the like. This is similar to what he did with Phillip Hughes when he was the Aussie batting coach, he did nothing for Hughe's technique, he used to talk about winning the games within the games and general head space stuff
Langer is a deadset mutant, heaven help Australian cricket if he gets Fatboys job.

Reactions: OVP

Iafeta

Referee
Unless it's a deadset road he's pretty bog average. The second it turns an inch he can't just move his front foot half an inch and then plonk the bat down and hold a pose. The same if it seams at all he looks all at sea because he refuses to use footwork.

Valheru

Coach
They aren't going to drop him when the team is winning. He will get found out very quickly in SA in March but to be fair, I expect all the batsmen will with the exception of Smith.

TheParraboy

Staff member
They aren't going to drop him when the team is winning. He will get found out very quickly in SA in March but to be fair, I expect all the batsmen will with the exception of Smith.

they dropped Handscomb when we were winning...

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yes true but they don't have a selectors pet to replace Khawaja with and M Marsh probably plays tests 1 and 2 if fit.

I'd rather Burns back in there and that says something! Khawaja has had enough chances.

Iafeta

Referee
Time for Ally Doolan. Sound technique. Good all around the wicket. Good temperament. Doesn't bat like he's more keen on what photo pose he will get on cricinfo in the online write up.

Latest posts