What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Mirror

Timbo

Staff member
I contend That Waldo Moment was a superb play on how employers can f**k over and ruin the lives of employees with as much empathy as one has for mosquitoes. Pushed out of his skillset then hung out to dry. You're no use to me now so f**k off and die. It is just as dark as any other future, only for one, not all.

Don't get me wrong, I agree the underlying theme is strong. I just didn't particularly rate the episode.

Stewbum

Juniors
Don't get me wrong, I agree the underlying theme is strong. I just didn't particularly rate the episode.
Fair enough. It's a wonderful show overall. Apart from the obvious choice in White Christmas my favourite is the one where everyone rates each other on their phones.

bileduct

Coach
Spoilerish.

Faaarkin' hell.

I was gonna binge watch the whole season tonight but the first three episodes have been a lot to take in. USS Callister... A few minutes into this and I'm not sure I'm going to feel sympathetic to Jesse Plemons' character as I keeping thinking of him as Todd, his character from Breaking Bad.

Nek minnit..

Ok, it's pretty much Todd from Breaking Bad.

Aaron Paul as "Gamer691" was great.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
I've watched seasons 1 and 2, including White Christmas. Complete spin out.

I really like that song the girl sings on the talent show in the 15 million credits episode... and I noticed that it's the same song the girl sings during Karaoke in White Christmas... I've never heard it before, pretty catchy
The same song is in an episode of season 3.
Same song shows up again in episode 3 of season 4 - Crocodile.

Incorrect

Coach
Same song shows up again in episode 3 of season 4 - Crocodile.
Started to watch ep 1 of season 4 last night, but had quite a few brews in me by then, so I thought I'd better stop and watch these with a clear head so I'll probably binge today instead!!!

bileduct

Coach
Season 4 was pretty good. I felt that Brooker is revisiting some of his previous work, especially with Black Museum pretty much following the same style and structure of White Christmas.

USS Callister was easily the standout. Metalhead was probably the only episode I didn't really care all that much for.

Timbo

Staff member
Just got through episode 1 -
a happy ending!

Bracing myself for the next five then.

azzah72

Bench
Finished S4 yesterday.

Not really a bad episode but I think all of them missed the "holy shit" moments other seasons have had.

They all felt like they were following a similar beat to previous EPs.

Crocodile = Shut up and dance
Black Museum = White Christmas
Hang the DJ = San Junipero.
Arkangel = Entire History of You.

I thought USS Callister and Metalhead were the most unique.

Definitely better EPs in other seasons but the standard is pretty high.

7/10.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Halfway through. Arkangel was ok, I found Crocodile to be decidedly meh.

Loved USS Callister though.

Incorrect

Coach
Half way though Metalhead. Don't suppose if anyone knows if that ep was filmed in Australia? The landscape looks decidedly Australian...

axl rose

Bench
USS Callister A+ might be my favourite of the entire series. Brilliant.

Hang the DJ A-

Arkangel B-
bit disappointed with this one. Bit predictable. just not the usual quality.

Metalhead B+ so uplifting on a boring work day, and I love a happy ending.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
Another great season from a great show. So glad Netflix bought it, has exposed it to a much wider audience.

vvvrulz

Coach
USS Callister 8.5/10 - Incredible episode, one of the most original and gripping in the entire series

Arkangel 7.5/10 - Good, but feels too familiar and doesn't pack enough punches

Crocodile 7.5/10 - Stays much further way from technology, but god damn this is dark and uncomfortable

Hang the DJ 8.5 /10 - Close to one of the best, great fresh concept, a bit lighter and a nice twist.

Metalhead 8/10 - Heavy and depressing again, the key here is the minimal back story to allow you to speculate on the blanks

Black Museum 8/10 - Solid, mixes all the classic Black Mirror elements but again feels too much like White Christmas.

There isn't a single weak episode in Season 4 - the only one in the entire series I really don't rate is the very first one with the pig.

Not an easy show to watch; tech-horror, who would have thought.

bileduct

Coach
Anyone watching Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams?

Same type of show as Black Mirror. I've only watched two eps so far and I'm still on the fence about it.

Latest posts