What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our predicted lineup R1

jeffdragon

Bench
Nrl website has our predicted lineup for R1
1Dufty
2 Mcdonald
3Aitken
4Lafai
5 Nightingale
6Widdop
7Hunt
8 Graham
9Mcinnes
10 Vaughan
11Frizzell
12Sims
13Debelin
14Au Mau
15Sele
16Host
17 Mann

Personally i wouldnt have Sele or Host on the bench
Id go for Allgood and Latimore .
Also still worried about 1to 5 in our backline.
Duftys defence
Mcdonald hopefully he can benifit fromHunts kicks,
Aitken coming back injury prone,Lafai good or crap and flo older and coming of his wing to many times after centers leaving him.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
We won't have the luxury of fielding the 2017 1-5 against the Broncos if we are serious about a win. My team would be:

1. Dufty
2. Lomax
3. Lafai
4. Mann
5. Nightingale/Macdonald
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Host
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Ah Mau
15. Sims
16. Leilua
17. Sele/Lawrie/Latimore

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons predicted Round 1 line-up
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Fri 5 Jan 2018, 07:00 AM

St George Illawarra Dragons Season in Review

The Dragons look a lot stronger for Ben Hunt's inclusion to partner Gareth Widdop and an already-potent pack is even stronger with James Graham's inclusion.

Spots in that pack are at a premium with new recruits Mitch Allgood and Jeremy Latimore long shots for round one spots and up and comers like Hame Sele and Jacob Host engaged in an intense battle for bench berths.

With the recent loss of Joel Thompson to the Manly Sea Eagles, there is a back-row berth vacant, opening the door for Tariq Sims to establish a permanent starting spot.

The major departure – fullback Josh Dugan – is readily covered by young gun Matt Dufty but Jai Field is also pressing his claims. Future stars like Zac Lomax and Tristan Sailor are also awaiting their chances.

NRL.com expert Jamie Soward says:

"The only question I have is over the fullback, Dufty. Can he live up to the hype of last year? He got a small taste. The rest of the team sort of picks itself. They've got a real working mentality.

"Does Kurt Mann force his way into the No.1 jersey or after the success Gareth Widdop had at fullback in the World Cup does he go to fullback with Mann as a running five-eighth and Ben Hunt can control the game? The X-factor is Jai Field, he's put on a bit of weight so they've got something they haven't settled on yet is fullback.

''Dufty, Field and Mann will all be looking to have strong pre-seasons, especially after watching Widdop at one. You'd be crazy if you're Paul McGregor not to at least look at the idea of putting Widdop at one and having a running five-eighth like Jai Field or even Dufty if they can handle the rigours of being in the front line.

"They've got a really good side this year. The guys on the bench, Sele is under pressure from guys like Latimore and Lawrie and Host who all have first-grade experience."

NRL.com's predicted Round 1 team:

1 Matt Dufty, 2 Nene Macdonald, 3 Euan Aitken, 4 Tim Lafai, 5 Jason Nightingale, 6 Gareth Widdop, 7 Ben Hunt, 8 James Graham, 9 Cameron McInnes, 10 Paul Vaughan, 11 Tyson Frizell, 12 Tariq Sims, 13 Jack De Belin. Interchange: 14 Leeson Ah Mau, 15 Hame Sele, 16 Jacob Host, 17 Kurt Mann. Reserves: 18 Mitchell Allgood 19 Blake Lawrie 20 Jeremy Latimore 21 Jai Field.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/05/st-george-illawarra-dragons-predicted-round-1-line-up/

We won't have the luxury of fielding the 2017 1-5 against the Broncos if we are serious about a win. My team would be:

1. Dufty
2. Lomax
3. Lafai
4. Mann
5. Nightingale/Macdonald
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Host
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Ah Mau
15. Sims
16. Leilua
17. Sele/Lawrie/Latimore

Good line up, possm. Except I'd be excluding all three players named at 3 and 5 - although I haven't properly turned my mind to alternatives :)

Straight Shooter

TomRedVRiver

Bench
1. Dufty
2. MacDonald/new recruit
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Lomax
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Host
13. De Belin

14. Leilua
15. Sims
16. Ah Mau
17. Mann/Sele

I'm happy to rotate Host and Leilua for that starting spot depending on who we're up against and how well either player is performing. I also think that the club will pick up a winger. We have some money to spend in that position so keep your eyes peeled.
I have a feeling the club are comfortable with the centres we currently have at the club, I doubt they would purchase a top-line centre and risk blocking Lomax's path. He's going to be that good. I'm happy to give Aitken/Lafai another crack too because when they're at full flight, they're actually quite a strong centre pairing.

The rest of the team picks itself in my opinion.

Walpole

Juniors

1. Dufty
2. Lomax
3. Lafai
4. Mann
5. Nightingale/Macdonald
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Host
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Ah Mau
15. Sims
16. Leilua
17. Sele/Lawrie/Latimore
Have to say, I (mostly) like this team too.

For mine, Mann should be in the team and is wasted on the wing so happy to see him at centre.

I'm all for Lomax starting on the wing and Host in the back row, although I wouldn't like to see Latimore anywhere near the 17.

The "Big four" - Lafai, Aitken, Night and Nene - should be fighting out 2 spots at most.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As a predicted line-up I think they have it probably right. Not that I agree with it it is probably what it will be.
My lineup would be:
1. Dufty
2 & 5. Mann and Nene
3 & 4. Aitken and Lafai
6.Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Friz
12. Host
13. JDB
14. LAM
15. Sims
16. Leilua
17. Sele

Unfortunately Nighty misses out just cant find a place for him in a team that beeds to be going forward.
Having a utility back is a waste of time and if McGregor wants to persist with the power game he needs to have 4 forwards that can be rotated if necessary.
Burn-out was our biggest issue last season, i think 4 forwards on the bench would go a long way of solving that problem.

BennyV

Referee
Lol you can bet your house that the predicted line up will be exactly what McJetski goes for in Round 1, with Dufty not allowed to run the ball more than 5m, Mann to sit on the bench all game and Host to rack up a total of 15 minutes. Might see Latimore included instead of Sele or Host though. So much fail.

Bench
I think the starting team will be much the same as last year, except for Graham and Hunt.
I still think our team is hindered by the centres and wingers. Our wingers are not point scoring machines like other teams, only because we have slow wingers, no disrespect to Nighty.
I am always going to think Lafai is going to have a really good year. Same for Aitken.
Of course I’m scared what Mary will do with the bench.

Old Timer

Coach
Now that the squad is finalised I expect before game 1 selection is announced Mc Fookknuckle will say something like:

"We need to get off to a good start and as we are playing the Bronco's who are a very physical side in Rd 1 it is essential we go with experience.
There will be plenty of time for the young players to force their way into first grade and by not exposing them too early we will avoid them being nervous in such a crucial game.
After all its a long season and we don't have to rush them".

Would not in the least surprise me to see something like this
Nightingale
Mc Donald
Aitken
Lafai
Pereira (ex Bronco after all that and that will count in dick heads brain)
Widdop
Hunt
Graham
Mc Innes
Vaughan
Frizzell
Sims
De Belin

LAM
Latimore
Sele wouldn't surprise if it was Allgood
Mann

If that team even remotely gets up the Foxtel will be going in the bin and all my memorabilia straight in after it.

My team for round 1:

1 Matt Dufty, 2 Nene Macdonald, 3 Euan Aitken, 4 Tim Lafai, 5 Kurt Mann, 6 Gareth Widdop, 7 Ben Hunt, 8 James Graham, 9 Cameron McInnes, 10 Paul Vaughan, 11 Tyson Frizell, 12 Tariq Sims, 13 Jack De Belin. Interchange: 14 Leeson Ah Mau, 15 Hame Sele, 16 Jacob Host, 17 Luciano Leilua. Reserves:
18 Jai Field (Super Sub).

Smoky: Lomax as winger in place of Nene McDonald

dragonssamy61

First Grade
As a predicted line-up I think they have it probably right. Not that I agree with it it is probably what it will be.
My lineup would be:
1. Dufty
2 & 5. Mann and Nene
3 & 4. Aitken and Lafai
6.Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Friz
12. Host
13. JDB
14. LAM
15. Sims
16. Leilua
17. Sele

Unfortunately Nighty misses out just cant find a place for him in a team that beeds to be going forward.
Having a utility back is a waste of time and if McGregor wants to persist with the power game he needs to have 4 forwards that can be rotated if necessary.
Burn-out was our biggest issue last season, i think 4 forwards on the bench would go a long way of solving that problem.

I like it but.
McGregor want play this team.
I hope he does but

kit66

Bench
jeffdragon's team in the opening post is more likely than my picks but it's nice to speculate.

1. Dufty
2. McDonald
3. Mann
4. Lafai
5. Field / Nightie
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Sims
13. De Belin

14. Ah Mau
15. Leilua
16. Lawrie
17. Sele / Host

If that article above is correct Field has bulked up a little and could be an option at left wing to take advantage of the Lafai off - loads. Also to satisfy everyone's need for speed and round out a good attacking backline - maybe not the best defensive backline but worth a shot if our forwards can be as dominant as they were early last year. I can't see Lomax being ready for 1sts this year but a taste at some point wouldn't hurt.
With Thompson gone we need a reliable defender with the ability to play long minutes so I'd start with Sims even though his impact off the bench will be missed. His back up to be either Leilua or Sele. We have an abundance of props so I'd use Sele out wide or Host if he can step up. You know Mary will have one bench warmer who only plays small minutes ( like Host last year ), I'd give that role to Leilua this year, he's more likely have a good impact.

Things I don't want to see - Widdop or Nightie at FB, Host in the run on side, Field and Leilua in reserves all year.

nontime111

Juniors
Dufty
Mann
Lomax
Lafia
Mcdonald
Widdop
Hunt
Graham
Mcinnis
Vaughan
Frizzel
Simms
De Belin

INT:
Ah Mauh
Leluia
Field
Host

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I think the starting team will be much the same as last year, except for Graham and Hunt.
I still think our team is hindered by the centres and wingers. Our wingers are not point scoring machines like other teams, only because we have slow wingers, no disrespect to Nighty.
I am always going to think Lafai is going to have a really good year. Same for Aitken.
Of course I’m scared what Mary will do with the bench.

Very sensible post, 2010
I too am concerned about our wingers and centres.
Lafai & McDonald don’t fill me with any confidence in both attack or defence.

nontime111

Juniors
Lol you can bet your house that the predicted line up will be exactly what McJetski goes for in Round 1, with Dufty not allowed to run the ball more than 5m, Mann to sit on the bench all game and Host to rack up a total of 15 minutes. Might see Latimore included instead of Sele or Host though. So much fail.
yes,. hes that kind of predictable.....the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.....we have the strike power now to ALWAYS score more points than anyone! but youll never see it with this boring plodder of a 'coach' He really needs to see some old vids of Roy Masters or Harry Bath coached teams where we had speed and WANTED to score tries! the aim was to strike! not bore the fans to tears....

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
We all know that what McGregor should do and DOES are two, separate things.

I reckon the side he will choose will look something like:

1. Dufty.
2, MacDonald.
3. Aitken.
4. Lafai.
5. Nightingale.
6. Widdop.
7. Hunt.
13. Debellin.
12. Sims.
11. Frizell.
10. Vaughan.
9. McInnes.
8. Graham.

Reserves: 14. Au Mau
15. Latimore.
16. Allgood.
17. Host.

Last edited:

GC Dragon

Juniors
I would do a few things different
1. Duffty....He deserves a decent crack at FG and needs to be let play what he sees
2..Mann...The best left wing option at the club . He has all the skills and given a permanent position will kill it .
3....Herbert ...He is the best right centre option we have . He has all the skills needed to be a good FG centre . Needs to be given a go with the better players . He will not develop playing more reserve grade .
4....Lafai ....One of the best defensive left centres in the game . Needs Widdop to play direct to give him room to do his thing .
5...McDonald ....Needs to lose 5 or 6 kgs and get back to what he was at the Titans not used as a giant battering ram .....Hunt will be good for him .
6...Widdop....Let him play as a running 5/8 ...Let Hunt control the team ....And make him play direct not running sideways when we are chasing points .
7...Hunt ...Genuine 7 thank god ....Play him as just that a first receiver . Make the team his to control .
Forwards
8 ....Graham ....Top class player and doesn't except mediocrity unlike our coach
9...McIness .....I think he will play origin in the future , Glad we have him long term
10 ..LAM ....I would rather start with him then see him off the bench . No impact off the bench .
11....Frizzell.....Picks himself
12....Host ...he is a genuine left edge backrower and is ready to become a starting backrower . A good coach would really enjoy developing this kid
13...JBD .....Great player needs to play the full 80 mins .....I would use him as a starting 13 but would have him in the front row rotation as well with Graham , Vaughan and LAM
14...Vaughan ...I believe he would be a real handful coming on after 20 with his running game ..A impact forward
15...Sims ....He is a right edge backrower who I would use with on that edge with Frizzell . I would use Frizzell similar to how the Cowboys use big JT .....He used with Sims would be lethal on the right .
16....Leilua , Sele , Kerr., Laurie , Could blood all these kids depending on injuries and who we play .
17 ..Aitken .....He likes to just put the ball under his arm and run ....So I would play him in the middle when JBD moved up to replace a front rower . He could do what he does best ....And his front on defence is good it is laterally he struggles .Wont have that problem in the middle . He could also cover injuries to and backs ...And the fact he is injury prone fewer mins may suit him .
The bench I have picked in with impact in mind ...Not plodders like Latimore and Allgood who at best will be used to hang on until the main guys come back .
But of coarse Mary's " Fear of failure " coaching will see the team mentioned by SaintJimmyG get picked .

Coffs dragon

Bench
Doesn't really matter who we all select & suggest, I think we all know McPeanut will take the safety first option with experienced players.
We have a very strong forward pack and 2 wonderful halves offset by a 50% average spine, a poor backline and a shit coach that has no idea how to select or construct a bench with impact.
The next crop of young exciting hopefulls will be largely ignored and await opportunity purely to cover any injuries.