What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

natheel

Coach
Scott will have been here longer, plus he’s a captain so has better leadership credentials.
Yeh most likely the reason. Plus Scott has always had that authority figure feel especially his stint at Knights. Warm ouch never reall had to do that because he had a good amount at Manly anyway

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I’m sure he’s had some impact on our younger guys that were debuting around that year and 2014. Like Moeroa, Edwards and Mau (even though they’re older) but he hasn’t left a visible mark really. I think Beau Scott will leave more of an impression

I agree Scott has provided good leadership, but I reckon we under estimate how poor our culture was when BA took over and what Watmough did to help change that.

hindy111

Post Whore
Really I don't understand some of the decisions made by BA. The 4 year contract for Watmough was one of his worst and now we keep a spot open for Fritchard. Wtf. Played few games last year before being injured but had minimal impact and then fit for finals but not picked. So why hold a spot open?

We need to develop a harder edge much like Roosters. If you're no good you get shown the door, loyalty to a poor player won't win you a gf. Scour the comps from juniors up and sign those with potential. Not all will work out but some will. Until we develop the mentality of signing the best we'll never win a gf. We are not a retirement home for players past their best, or are we?

Frank was offered min wage. What do you reckon a guy like Fuimano was offered from souths? Id put my neck out and almost guarantee a lot more then minimum. We would only be asking 25 - 40mins a game and only as a back up.

hindy111

Post Whore
Ba made 2 bad signings. Foran which he wasnt to know his personal life was abput too explode and Watmough. But both ended fine for our club in hindsight.

He also signed

Gutherson,Brown,Jennings,Scott,Gower,Matagi,Smith,Vave,Moses, Auvau,Hoffman,Frank....

He found gems in Guth and Brown. Has had good value from Jennings and Scott. Picked up Moses for 200k less then worth.
Has also had value from the rest bar Frank. But he was injured.Cant blame the coach there. Frank helped while Terepo,KE and Vave where not ready early on.

The only guy who I was not big on was Hoffman. But at time we didnt have faith in Auvau being a first grader and Semi future was clouded. We also didnt have Moses who pushed Gutherson into the backline.

I am also excited about all 3 signings this season. All are capable of being bargain buys bar perhaps Evans who id imagine was offered on potential.

strider

Post Whore
Hoffman went ok - very solid first grader

tbh I can't fault BA's signings .... they all filled a need

watmough probably the only one on "overs" considering his career situation at the time, but it worked out ok

i'm not convinced with hayne - though it could turn out decent (fingers crossed)

foran I thought was sensational - then it ll went pear shaped - but no one has crystal balls

i wasn't impressed when we got Moses, but he might be his best signing to date .... atm I would say Brown and Gutho would still be a little ahead of himas best so far

Gazzamatta

Coach
Really I don't understand some of the decisions made by BA. The 4 year contract for Watmough was one of his worst and now we keep a spot open for Fritchard. Wtf. Played few games last year before being injured but had minimal impact and then fit for finals but not picked. So why hold a spot open?

We need to develop a harder edge much like Roosters. If you're no good you get shown the door, loyalty to a poor player won't win you a gf. Scour the comps from juniors up and sign those with potential. Not all will work out but some will. Until we develop the mentality of signing the best we'll never win a gf. We are not a retirement home for players past their best, or are we?
Id be surprised if a genuine offer was made to FP. More likely he was given a respectful way to finish his career. Obviously there was no interest from other clubs.

hindy111

Post Whore
Hoffman went ok - very solid first grader

tbh I can't fault BA's signings .... they all filled a need

watmough probably the only one on "overs" considering his career situation at the time, but it worked out ok

i'm not convinced with hayne - though it could turn out decent (fingers crossed)

foran I thought was sensational - then it ll went pear shaped - but no one has crystal balls

i wasn't impressed when we got Moses, but he might be his best signing to date .... atm I would say Brown and Gutho would still be a little ahead of himas best so far

Moses has been leaps and bounds ahead of Foran.
I didnt think Foran ever got going. Had a few nice games but 5 lbas in 9 games and 4 TA.
At his final 2 yrs at manly he had 40 games.
For 17 LBAS and 23 TAs.

Based on Stats his best season was 2017 at the warriors. Funny that? Maybe cause Manly where performing better his stats felt superior.

Moses had 15lbas for us in total and im guessing about the same games

hindy111

Post Whore
On Hayne he wasnt far off Tedesco in Line breaks, Lbas and TAs....
Just tackle breaks was a ridiculous difference.
Hayne was ranked 5th for fullbacks in line breaks and 7th for fullbacks for lbas.
Thats while missing 8 games and not being anywhere near best.

His form was still better then most fullbacks.

Eelpout

Juniors
The way I look at it is that BA has roughly 100 games in charge. On the other hand, Bennett has around 8x the amount of experience coaching the top grade. Rookie players make mistakes, as do coaches. That said, I believe almost everything Arthur has done in terms of recruitment has been great.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
On Hayne he wasnt far off Tedesco in Line breaks, Lbas and TAs....
Just tackle breaks was a ridiculous difference.
Hayne was ranked 5th for fullbacks in line breaks and 7th for fullbacks for lbas.
Thats while missing 8 games and not being anywhere near best.

His form was still better then most fullbacks.
Where are you getting your stats?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Have a look at the roosters depth. Let's have a guess at their #29 player and assume it's a forward. Take Josh Curran or Brock Gray. I know a bit about Curran but basically nothing about Gray. They could come into first grade and cost the roosters a match, at least with Pritchard we know he wouldn't have. The roosters have a stack of these young, whilst talented forwards who no one knows how they'll play in first grade. It isn't about being a retirement home but rather knowing what you'll get from a player when you put them into first grade. Hence why we have guys like Gower and had Pritchard because we know that if need be they can play first grade and do a job. It's also probably why we signed Tony Williams. If he doesn't re-sign I'm sure we'll sign some other older player for depth for a year because we know they aren't going to cost us the game if they play. If a younger player is better than they'll play ahead of them i.e Stone, Niukore

strider

Post Whore
In my opinion the attitude of Beau Scott transformed the club. His take no shortcuts approach wiped out one of his own team mates careers and he shrugged it off as part of the game. You can't underestimate how much that kind of attitude influenced our young forwards.
Yeah he took out his teammate :wink::wink::wink:

hindy111

Post Whore
Have a look at the roosters depth. Let's have a guess at their #29 player and assume it's a forward. Take Josh Curran or Brock Gray. I know a bit about Curran but basically nothing about Gray. They could come into first grade and cost the roosters a match, at least with Pritchard we know he wouldn't have. The roosters have a stack of these young, whilst talented forwards who no one knows how they'll play in first grade. It isn't about being a retirement home but rather knowing what you'll get from a player when you put them into first grade. Hence why we have guys like Gower and had Pritchard because we know that if need be they can play first grade and do a job. It's also probably why we signed Tony Williams. If he doesn't re-sign I'm sure we'll sign some other older player for depth for a year because we know they aren't going to cost us the game if they play. If a younger player is better than they'll play ahead of them i.e Stone, Niukore

Its different when we signed Carl Webb an old has been hoping he would help the club. We are signing these old guys based on the fact we will use them if desperate.
The good thing is even if they perform above expectations, due to age they probably wont coast a whole lot more for another year.
If Niaukore played well his value would likely double.