What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible season change

GongPanther

Referee
It's pointless being creative when dealing with the NRL - nothing will change in the next 50 years.

The NRL are basically the pigs in the trough. It's the same mindset as how leagues clubs have been treating their members for years,as poker machine playing suckers.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
No thanks.

It's just unnecessarily complex for the average viewer. The average viewer can watch a few games, check the ladder and get the gist of it.

Just go have a look at what's happened to Super Rugby with their ridiculous draw structure where fans are tuning out because it's overly complex.

I'm all for teams being seperated in regards to working out the draw and increasing rivalry games but different pools and then crossing pools, retaining points etc - no thanks.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
My thoughts are that if you're running around 7th - 9th by round 12 you have little motivation to win your next few games so you can coast through the bottom teams for the next 6 rounds.

Would also be a programming nightmare not knowing who is playing who until the top eight is set.

This is why in my system the top 2 in the bottom pool play the bottom 2 in the top pool. If you are coming 7th, it is still easier to try and jag more wins than the team coming 6th (and you get to play them) then to tank a few games have to still finish top when some teams currently 10th -12th may go on a run and then play in a playoff game away from home.

I have had this idea for a long time. I just finally thought it was worth sharing. I know that the NRL will ignore this but if you don't try...

T-Boon

Coach
I got two positive replies from the English and nothing from the NRL :(

This sounds right. Any positive changes for the game are going to come out of England not Australia. The Nrl would not attempt this sort of thing unless the AFL led the way for a few years.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I love how if someone thinks this is a bad idea, they're immediately labelled as someone who doesn't want the game to evolve - Have you ever stopped to think, just for a second, that it's not change people are against, it's just that it's a terrible idea and not many agree with you...? Just food for thought

Life's Good

Coach
I love how if someone thinks this is a bad idea, they're immediately labelled as someone who doesn't want the game to evolve - Have you ever stopped to think, just for a second, that it's not change people are against, it's just that it's a terrible idea and not many agree with you...? Just food for thought
That’s the best way I have heard someone write ‘that’s a sh*t idea’.

T-Boon

Coach

Name one idea for change in the game that you have supported? I am going to guess reduce interchange and bring back the biff and thats it.

Life's Good

Coach
this Life's Good guy is another in the terrified of change camp.
You edited your post after I replied but seeing as you referenced me let me tell you I am an advocate for change.

A very simple example would be I used to read the posts wanting all these changes in RL and post a smart ar*e comment. Nowadays I just ignore them. If that isn’t change.....

ACTPanthers

Bench
Name one idea for change in the game that you have supported? I am going to guess reduce interchange and bring back the biff and thats it.

I've supported many changes in the game, none of which were any of your ideas, because they're just f**king shit ideas to be honest

big hit!

Bench
4 groups - 22 rounds

QLD
Donkeys - GC - Melbourne - North Queensland

East
Manly - Newcastle - South Sydney - Rorters

South
Canterbury - Cronulla - New Zealand Warriors - St Merge

West

Canberra - Parramatta - Penrith - Pussy Cats

- intra-group play home & away every season
- rotating inter-group home & away per season with one of the other 3 groups
- home against 2nd inter-group opponents (rotates each season)
- away against 3rd inter-group opponents (rotates each season)

All group winners qualify for finals
4 best non-group winners qualify for finals
Finals seedings based on overall performance / competition points.

Apart from having at least one team from each of the above groups making finals, not much change. But it makes fixturing transparent. Maintains rivalries and creates some for those that don't have them.

siv

First Grade
4 groups - 22 rounds

QLD
Donkeys - GC - Melbourne - North Queensland

East
Manly - Newcastle - South Sydney - Rorters

South
Canterbury - Cronulla - New Zealand Warriors - St Merge

West

Canberra - Parramatta - Penrith - Pussy Cats

- intra-group play home & away every season
- rotating inter-group home & away per season with one of the other 3 groups
- home against 2nd inter-group opponents (rotates each season)
- away against 3rd inter-group opponents (rotates each season)

All group winners qualify for finals
4 best non-group winners qualify for finals
Finals seedings based on overall performance / competition points.

Apart from having at least one team from each of the above groups making finals, not much change. But it makes fixturing transparent. Maintains rivalries and creates some for those that don't have them.

I prefer 2 pools of 9

Manly, Souths, Easts, Wests, Cronulla, Canterbury, Parramatta, Penrith, St Merge

Brisbane, Nth Qld, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Auckland, Canberra, Newcastle, Brisbane 2, Perth

Everyone in a pool plays home / away in one season

And the opposite pool home / away over 2 seasons

25 rounds 8 team semis

ed-grimley

Bench
I prefer 2 pools of 9

Manly, Souths, Easts, Wests, Cronulla, Canterbury, Parramatta, Penrith, St Merge

Brisbane, Nth Qld, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Auckland, Canberra, Newcastle, Brisbane 2, Perth

Everyone in a pool plays home / away in one season

And the opposite pool home / away over 2 seasons

25 rounds 8 team semis
What about SOO?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
16 teams. Top 8 plays the finals. Sounds workable to me.

No need to over complicate things with different pools and ladders for the sake of it, or retaining points and switching pools.

Just because an idea is more complex doesn't mean it's good. Simplicity is important, and at times vital.

They should continue to find ways to improve the draw to make it as fair as they possibly can but aside from that there's so much more areas of RL that need improvement before artificial cosmetic changes.

siv

First Grade
16 teams. Top 8 plays the finals. Sounds workable to me.

No need to over complicate things with different pools and ladders for the sake of it, or retaining points and switching pools.

Just because an idea is more complex doesn't mean it's good. Simplicity is important, and at times vital.

They should continue to find ways to improve the draw to make it as fair as they possibly can but aside from that there's so much more areas of RL that need improvement before artificial cosmetic changes.

If you stay with 16 teams

Then two pools of 8 teams translates into 22 competition rounds

T-Boon

Coach
One thing we know from state of origin and Tonga v Somoa is that fierce rivalries will draw a crowd.

Conferences create/grow rivalries and would result in bigger crowd averages, better ground atmosphere, bigger TV ratings etc.

The English Super League should look into it.

Latest posts