What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Queensland test cricketer

King hit

Coach
Watching the big bash with dad a few nights ago we got into a conversation about who the best born and breed Queensland test player would be. We came up with Hayden, McDermott, Tallon and Healy but that was it.

Any opinions on who the best QLD test players, would be appreciated.

JJ

Immortal
Think we've had a similar thread before - most of the best test cricketers to play for Queensland started elsewhere - Border, Thomson, Chappell etc - as above, even Botham and Viv LOL

Hayden I imagine - the likes of Johnson, Mr Slave next - Tallon, Healy I guess in the discussion

Timbo

Staff member
Difficult one really. Here's my Made in Queensland all-time XI:

1-M.Hayden
2-B.Brown*
3-P.Burge
4-T.Vievers
5-S.Watson
6-K.Mackay
7-I.Healy+
8-M.Johnson
9-R.Archer
10-B.Ironmonger
11-C.McDermott

Bit light on the batting - next three up were Martin Love, Ken Archer and Greg Ritchie. Picking Brown is a bit cheeky - but he was born in Queensland before moving to NSW in his early teens and always considered himself a Queenslander (he returned there to finish his FC career). If ineligible, you'd have to sub in Ken Archer.

Decent pace bowling stocks with Kasper, Bichel, Rackemann, Dale and Dymock missing the cut. I feel like if he'd ever been given a crack in a baggy green, Eddie Gilbert would have been a lay down misere for the side.

The 'spinner' is nominally Ironmonger - would be my pick of one of the two best players in the side alongside Brown - but so many sources vary as to whether he was a left arm orthodox tweaker or a slow-medium swing bowler. He's backed up by Vievers, who was a batting all-rounder. In any case the options after him are Hauritz, Hohns and Murray Bennett. Hardly inspiring.

Keeping was tough - three Australian greats available in Healy, Grout and Tallon. Healy just cinched it from Grout.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
Stuart Law and Martin Love should make an all time Queensland team. Plundered domestic attacks for years and Love is QLD’s all time leading run scorer.

Latest posts