What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nene McDonald - This isn't going to be popular!

BennyV

Referee
Nene had a poor 2017, far too many errors and misreads in defence it's true. I'm hoping he has a really strong pre-season, he would know that his position is on the line with the likes of Field, Mann, Garrick and Herbet all pushing for a spot. If he does retain his position though he should benefit greatly from having Hunt providing good ball and accurate kicks down his side. I'd also like to see him get a lot more early ball, he might not be the fastest winger but he's big and strong and knows how to set up his support players once he's made a break. Our attack down the right last year was shit and you can't blame all that on Nene.
Just on Lomax, the kid played under 20's last year, did he get any game time with the Cutters ? Is he actually ready to play full time 1sts or would we be better giving him a start in reserves and introducing him slowly to 1sts, a few runs off the bench or possibly a run during Origin. There's a lot of hype but he's only 18, what are his chances realistically ?
Don’t be silly - much like Field in 2017, it doesn’t matter if he’s played 0 games against full grown men or that there are more developed options ahead of him vying for his position. Get on the hype train, dammit!!!

Seriously though, it’s a valid point and one that many in here are overlooking. Little is gained from Lomax starting the year in first grade. He’s got a very high ceiling but he should be starting in reserve grade and coming through to first grade via the wing, with a plan to cement a wing spot by Rd1 2019 and move to centres or fullback in 2020. For 2018, I think Herbert deserves first crack as a backup centre and wouldn’t be surprised if Garrick is also ahead as a winger.