What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New RLIF CEO

deal.with.it

Juniors
RUGBY LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION APPOINTS NIGEL WOOD AS CEO

The Rugby League International Federation has appointed RFL and Super League CEO Nigel Wood to be its new Chief Executive. The unanimous decision was taken by the RLIF Board following the successful staging of the Rugby League Men’s and Women’s World Cups in Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea. Wood will take up the office later in the year and will follow inaugural CEO David Collier OBE into the role. He will also stand down as RLIF Chairman as a consequence. The RLIF board will consider nominations for its next Chair in February 2018.

RLIF Deputy Chairman John Grant said “We are delighted to have reached an agreement with Nigel to take over as the executive lead for the RLIF at this time. Nigel is a 10 year CEO with a proven track record as a Rugby League Administrator of the highest standard, is respected on both sides of the world, has an intimate understanding of the complex relationship between domestic and international rugby league, and provides a fast start in the role at a time when capitalising on the momentum created by the 2017 World Cups is critical."

John Grant added “The RLIF board determined that the board’s Nominations Committee from Australia, New Zealand and Europe should in the first instance undertake a rigorous process with Nigel as its internal candidate to confirm his willingness and suitability to take the role. Failing this, it was then to undertake an external process. The Committee was swayed not only by Nigel’s clear experience but also by his deep knowledge and sincere passion for international rugby league. Its recommendation that he was the right person to take the international game forward at the very exciting but challenging time was adopted unanimously by the full board”

Senior Director and member of the Nominations Committee, John Bishop from NZRL, said “I have worked with Nigel for two World Cup cycles now and numerous international Tournaments and have seen first-hand his endeavours for the international game. The next few years are vital for international rugby league and the Board believe Nigel is undoubtedly the right person to be bring focus and energy to our plans.”

Nigel Wood said “I feel honoured and humbled to be asked to serve the RLIF as CEO for the next phase of its development. International Rugby League is a wonderful and essential aspect of our sport as the images, testimonials and emotions of the recent World Cups have once again demonstrated. I believe these are exciting times as more and more people recognise the role of international rugby league has in developing the whole sport. New countries and investors are attracted to our sport and I look forward to working with all parties, clubs and other key stakeholders to ensure that we give players, supporters and commercial and broadcast partners the most compelling international calendar that we possibly can.”

Rlif.com

roughyedspud

Coach
I've checked all the twitter's and all the facebook RL pages....I've not seen a single positive endorsement of woods appointment..

adamkungl

Immortal
On a side note I wouldn't be super confident that his leaving will improve the running of Super League..

latingringo101

Juniors
I'm cautious with his appointment, will let time be his judge. I'm just glad he's taken the job without being involved with another organisation like the days of Colin Love. They were alot worse than what's happening now

Jankuloski

Juniors
If you can name the current RLIF chairman without Googling it, I will agree with you that Nigel has a chance to be worse.

Otherwise, the sheer fact he has connections with clubs in both comps puts him miles ahead of what we have now.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I am hopeful but i am not optimistic....

He has been in the centre of things for a decade, so he has a lot of established cred to throw around.

However, the people who last more than a decade in an exec job usually do because they arent rocking the boat. I always prefer the bloke who goes balls-to-the-wall and risks his job for his vision; those are usually the ones who dont make their 3rd anniversary...

Perth Red

Post Whore

He has been in the centre of things for a decade, so he has a lot of established cred to throw around.

However, the people who last more than a decade in an exec job usually do because they arent rocking the boat. I always prefer the bloke who goes balls-to-the-wall and risks his job for his vision; those are usually the ones who dont make their 3rd anniversary...

Dave Smith says hello!

Thought Mascord's recent article on this was correct - concerns around clubs interacting with Grant/Wood at the RLIF are obvious, given the acrimony of their relationships with the respective clubs in their previous roles respectively. Sorry can't link it atm.

latingringo101

Juniors

Unfortunately some people who have to make the tough decisions (for the better) never get the credit they deserve

Stallion

First Grade
Unfortunately some people who have to make the tough decisions (for the better) never get the credit they deserve

With the hostile environment (non recognition of RL as a sport etc) a genuine doer purely with the growth and development of rugby league in mind and effort should be running the ship with a decent proactive team backing him!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Thats what i mean.

He only lasted 3 years because he took on the big interests. He could have played safe, but he wanted to make a difference.

It caught up to him quick, but i reckon he doesnt regret it.
Smith was making the clubs accountable, also he was not bowing to News Ltd.

He is a big loss for our sport.

roughyedspud

Coach
That's what happens when "fresh eyes" come into the sport..they try to point us in the right direction..that upsets the "establishment" and they get forced out..and we're back to square one..

deal.with.it

Juniors
I met Nigel a few years back when he became chairman of RLIF. As Mascord wrote recently, he is nothing like the way he is portrayed by clubs and media. He's smart, funny, passionate and knowledgable about RL and the many clubs across the world playing our game.
However, I agree RL is reluctant to let fresh eyes gloss over our sport and provide recommendations. Jobs for the boys.

Latest posts