What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible season change

unforgiven

Bench
One thing we know from state of origin and Tonga v Somoa is that fierce rivalries will draw a crowd.

Conferences create/grow rivalries and would result in bigger crowd averages, better ground atmosphere, bigger TV ratings etc.

The English Super League should look into it.

I like the conference system, I watch a lot of NFL and really like the benefits of it, particularly the rival generated for conference games. The only concern I have with it is creates the mathematical possibility of a team making the finals after only winning 3 games. It is extremely unlikely and I'm not aware of it happening in other sports but with Australia not having a history of conference style competitions I do not think it would sit very well with fans if a side with a far superior record misses out to one that is far inferior.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I love how if someone thinks this is a bad idea, they're immediately labelled as someone who doesn't want the game to evolve - Have you ever stopped to think, just for a second, that it's not change people are against, it's just that it's a terrible idea and not many agree with you...? Just food for thought

I am happy for anyone to pick holes in the idea. My comment was only that I actually had some response from overseas competitions and nothing from the NRL. I would hope that they would at least consider ideas that come to them.

The motivation is to allow for more international/rep games in the calendar and make all games more meaningful. There will be downsides but I think the system I posted gives a lot of upsides.

I like the conference system, I watch a lot of NFL and really like the benefits of it, particularly the rival generated for conference games. The only concern I have with it is creates the mathematical possibility of a team making the finals after only winning 3 games. It is extremely unlikely and I'm not aware of it happening in other sports but with Australia not having a history of conference style competitions I do not think it would sit very well with fans if a side with a far superior record misses out to one that is far inferior.

I know that this is a concern. That is why it is only two pools so the top teams in the pools have to earn it and then when it goes into the second half of the season those teams have to perform or risk that playoff game. Teams that start out slow still have a chance but would have to win a lot of games to get to the top of the pool then win a playoff game before they even reach the finals. There would be no limping in as the bottom two teams in the eight have to survive that playoff.

Latest posts