What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham.

TruSaint

Referee
Agree true.
I hope he can be allowed to use his skills and to pass them on to young guns.
His work ethics will rub of on the other expecially the young guys like luc.

May sound strange but I am glad we got him at 32... he has matured, has big game experience behind him, has been coached under several different styles... All in all, I wish he plays his game uninhibited with all the experience he has under his belt. Priceless. ( no pun intended ). :)

JDHD

Juniors
Graham showing the way for young Dragons forward

Graham's first week

James Graham had just finished his third training session since joining the St George Illawarra Dragons when he grabbed rookie forward Blake Lawrie and suggested they do some more fitness work.

As most of the Dragons players prepared for a run to the beach adjoining WIN Stadium after the gruelling session on Thursday, Graham and Lawrie continued to train together before joining their teammates in the surf.

"He has only been here a few days but he has impressed me," Lawrie told NRL.com. "You can tell how he has got to where he has and why he has played as many games as he has just by what he does on the training paddock.

"He is always working hard and he always does extras. He just pulled me aside at the end of training then and we did a couple of extras together."

Graham only began training with the Dragons this week following a trip to England and Canada to visit family after the World Cup but he is already demonstrating why the club was so keen to sign him from the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

With a number of promising young forwards in his squad, including Lawrie, Jacob Host, Hame Sele and Luciano Leilua, Dragons coach Paul McGregor is looking for Graham - who has more than 400 NRL, Super League and Test matches on his resume - to assist with their development this season by acting as a forward leader.

"You can just tell he has got a wealth of experience in his head," said Lawrie, who played six NRL matches last season. "Every little thing he has got to say something about he has got a different opinion or a different aspect."

Tariq Sims on James Graham's arrival

Graham said he enjoyed mentoring younger players and was excited about the potential at the Dragons in coming seasons, with Lawrie (5 games), Host (19), Sele (15) and Leilua (4) all just 21 years of age but each having played first grade.

"As an older guy, I like seeing those younger guys coming through and seeing their careers develop," the 32-year-old English prop said.

"We have seen a few young lads here get that taste of first team last year, they have got that first season under their belt, they know what the NRL is about and what they need to do to play week to week and I think we will see some of them come to the forefront of this pack this year."

Known for his ball-playing ability as well as his toughness up front, Graham said he was happy to play either style depending on McGregor's wishes.

"If they want me to play with the ball or whether they just want me to tuck it up my jumper I will do that.

"The plan might differ from week-to-week but I have just got to fit into the team and play my role to the best of my ability. I am here to do my best and try to play the best I can. I just want to play well for this club."

This is EXACTLY why I was so excited when we signed Graham. He's only been there a week and he's already kicking the young forwards into line and pushing them to be better. Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes.

getsmarty

Immortal
Graham showing the way for young Dragons forward
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 11 Jan 2018, 04:58 PM

Graham's first week

James Graham had just finished his third training session since joining the St George Illawarra Dragons when he grabbed rookie forward Blake Lawrie and suggested they do some more fitness work.

As most of the Dragons players prepared for a run to the beach adjoining WIN Stadium after the gruelling session on Thursday, Graham and Lawrie continued to train together before joining their teammates in the surf.

"He has only been here a few days but he has impressed me," Lawrie told NRL.com. "You can tell how he has got to where he has and why he has played as many games as he has just by what he does on the training paddock.

"He is always working hard and he always does extras. He just pulled me aside at the end of training then and we did a couple of extras together."

Graham only began training with the Dragons this week following a trip to England and Canada to visit family after the World Cup but he is already demonstrating why the club was so keen to sign him from the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

With a number of promising young forwards in his squad, including Lawrie, Jacob Host, Hame Sele and Luciano Leilua, Dragons coach Paul McGregor is looking for Graham - who has more than 400 NRL, Super League and Test matches on his resume - to assist with their development this season by acting as a forward leader.

"You can just tell he has got a wealth of experience in his head," said Lawrie, who played six NRL matches last season. "Every little thing he has got to say something about he has got a different opinion or a different aspect."

Graham said he enjoyed mentoring younger players and was excited about the potential at the Dragons in coming seasons, with Lawrie (5 games), Host (19), Sele (15) and Leilua (4) all just 21 years of age but each having played first grade.

"As an older guy, I like seeing those younger guys coming through and seeing their careers develop," the 32-year-old English prop said.

"We have seen a few young lads here get that taste of first team last year, they have got that first season under their belt, they know what the NRL is about and what they need to do to play week to week and I think we will see some of them come to the forefront of this pack this year."

Known for his ball-playing ability as well as his toughness up front, Graham said he was happy to play either style depending on McGregor's wishes.

"If they want me to play with the ball or whether they just want me to tuck it up my jumper I will do that.

"The plan might differ from week-to-week but I have just got to fit into the team and play my role to the best of my ability. I am here to do my best and try to play the best I can. I just want to play well for this club."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/11/graham-showing-the-way-for-young-dragons-forward/

possm

Coach
This is EXACTLY why I was so excited when we signed Graham. He's only been there a week and he's already kicking the young forwards into line and pushing them to be better. Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes.
Yep, no need for Dean Young now; he is supposed to coach the forwards and defensive skills.

Walpole

Juniors
That article starts off so well - the old hardhead already taking one of our young forwards under his wing - but then you get to the part where he says if "they just want me to tuck it up my jumper I will do that" and you think shit, maybe that's all McGregor's got planned for him.

Old Timer

Coach
That article starts off so well - the old hardhead already taking one of our young forwards under his wing - but then you get to the part where he says if "they just want me to tuck it up my jumper I will do that" and you think shit, maybe that's all McGregor's got planned for him.
100% correct Walpole.
Clueless will do exactly that, thinking we will again "power" over the top of teams.
After round 10 we will slowly sink in the west unless of course those people on the paddock with skill and real knowledge of the game are allowed to control everything which is what we all ultimately hope is the case.
Funny you wold have thought that the discussion in respect of the role Graham is to play would have already been had and finalised but here we go again.
Evidently everything is up to McFookknuckle and he hasn't said anything so yet another career could be stalled or sent into decline due to Mc Fookknuckles strategic planning or lack their of.

Drag Queen

Bench
Why Sammy , are you suggesting that my memory is poor ? I was merely being polite by not mentioning that incident , when that troublemaker Slater shoved his ear into poor 'ole Grahams mouth . Thus putting a big red mark against an otherwise unblemished record . :innocent:
I don't care that we have a new Chopper Reid in the team. Reid is a total whack-job whilst Graham is getting plaudits from me. Can't wait to see what he does for us :D

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Why Sammy , are you suggesting that my memory is fading ? I was merely being polite by not mentioning that incident , when that troublemaker Slater shoved his ear into the poor mans mouth . Thus putting a big red mark against Grahams otherwise unblemished record . :innocent:

Gareth
Sorry my bad.
I should of explained the situation better.
But you have put it so well

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
I don't care that we have a new Chopper Reid in the team. Reid is a total whack-job whilst Graham is getting plaudits from me. Can't wait to see what he does for us :D

Like the Chopper Reid bit me ' lil darling , but let's not go to extremes , Graham is with us for 3 years and the last thing we want is to have the refs searching him for razor blades before each game .

Gareth
Sorry my bad.
I should of explained the situation better.
But you have put it so well

Mate you explained it perfectly , I was just being a smart arse . :pig: