What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MCG Pitches

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
^^
In arriving at the sanction, the ICC noted the comprehensive response provided by Cricket Australia, which did not contest the rating given to the pitch by the ICC Match Referee, Ranjan Madugalle, but highlighted that the ground is a frequently used venue

which is irrelevant as it was a drop in pitch

Matt23

Staff member
Another road produced, does the ICC give pitch ratings for ODI’s and T/20?

jargan83

Coach
Wouldn’t have thought so. I reckon the ICC would be applauding for a Road in a limited overs format because “boundaries yay!”

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I can understand T20s as they are just a slog fest but ODIs should have at least something in them

Is there a legitimate reason not to switch the name of the gee to the MVFLG?

I want drop ins banned for tests and odi forthwith

MCC took away bats why not take away drop ins and bring back the bats

While they're at it we need to update cricket ball tech which hasn't changed since 1988 at the least

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ruined by scabs.

Nothing says scab like a sport who has its home as cricket ground.

Welcome to vfl...scabs.

Melbourne CRICKET ground members should be ashamed.

Disgrace to Australia.

Scabs.

TheParraboy

Staff member
and the merkin State is currently running last in the Sheffield Shield

serves them right

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Its not like afl will disappear so the pressure has to be on the Melbourne curators to stop producing such bad drop ins.

There has to be a way to make a wicket that isnt a pile of turds. The technology is decades old and the mcg drop ins get worse every year.

simmo05

Bench
Bump

What a shit place for cricket. And to think they shafted the gabba because of lack of parking, yet continue to play on roads at the mcg. Hopefully some demerit points and no internationals there for a few years

undertaker

Coach
Ruined by scabs.

Nothing says scab like a sport who has its home as cricket ground.

Welcome to vfl...scabs.

Melbourne CRICKET ground members should be ashamed.

Disgrace to Australia.

Scabs.

I believe drop-ins have been used at the MCG since 1996 or so. Watch highlights of test/ODI matches at the MCG before then and you will see how much more bowler-friendly it was. Kim Hughes 100* in 1981 vs West Indies remains one of the best innings.

Since drop-in pitches, the only test matches at the MCG that provided a good battle between bat and ball were ones such as the 1998 Ashes were rain played a role.

Wouldn’t have thought so. I reckon the ICC would be applauding for a Road in a limited overs format because “boundaries yay!”

Those ropes straight down the ground are a good 10 metres or so in from the old fence (only 65m from the centre of the pitch). So much for the MCG being a BIIIIIIIIG ground.