What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HASLER

jak

Bench
It's a lovely little dream Possum , the type that will keep you warm on those very cold winter nights . But the problem is ( among many ) where is the money coming from ?

I have been wanting Hasler myself , however after reading the many posts on this subjectI , I am now just wondering if in fact we should go in another direction as has been suggested by others , such as Maguire ?

The thing that worries me is , as someone had mentioned earlier today , is Dessi's desire for the big names of the NRL to join his teams and thereby overlooking the up and coming juniors . He could very well send the Joint Venture broke , before our current pack of boardroom numbskulls do .
yep your right dessie doesn't give a crap about juniors,we would lose most of them,you just have to look at the dogs lower grades over the last few years to see that.

possm

Coach
It's a lovely little dream Possum , the type that will keep you warm on those very cold winter nights . But the problem is ( among many ) where is the money coming from ?

I have been wanting Hasler myself , however after reading the many posts on this subjectI , I am now just wondering if in fact we should go in another direction as has been suggested by others , such as Maguire ?

The thing that worries me is , as others have already said , is Dessi's desire for the big names of the NRL to join his teams and thereby overlooking the up and coming juniors . He could very well send the Joint Venture broke , before our current pack of boardroom numbskulls do .
All good Garath67, I doubt we would go broke buying players as we will need to keep within the salary cap and those funds will cover player salaries. Des may also be able to pass on some hints on how to attract TPA.

What will be expensive is the off-field money required to hire Des and his coaching staff. I am sure Millward will learn to work under Des and if not, he will find himself on his way. Then there is a big upgrade to training facilities; all to be paid for by our new owner.

possm

Coach
yep your right dessie doesn't give a crap about juniors,we would lose most of them,you just have to look at the dogs lower grades over the last few years to see that.
For the time Des was at the Dogs, that Club had a crap junior funnel and hardly any player raised their head. I can't think of any significant juniors that were blocked.

Gareth67

First Grade

Jak , I don't know how many times that I had mentioned to people , the fact that he always signed the big names of the game . How the dogs could afford to do so , year in and year out , was beyond me .

And as you have said the juniors never got a look in , amazing . Would he ( if ever signed ) recognise the strength of the Dragon juniors and actually use them ? I don't know . But he did do the same at Manly as he did at the Bulldogs . As they say - it's a bit hard for a leopard to change its spots .

By saying what I have said , I believe that the man is a very good coach , but perhaps he would not be the best fit here at the Dragons . More so , when you consider that here at St.George Illawarra , we have some of the best juniors in the NRL and it would be a damn shame not to use them to their full potential .

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench
Hello.. Bulldogs ran us into the ground in ISP. Not sure how much Hasler had to do with it though, but it was embarrassing.

Drag Queen

Bench
They beat our team in NSW cup convincingly. Probs not Des giving the orders but they sidelined Field and Dufty in one foul swoop. Give this a little perspective so to speak.

jak

Bench
Jak , I don't know how many times that I had mentioned to people , the fact that he always signed the big names of the game . How the dogs could afford to do so , year in and year out , was beyond me .

And as you have said the juniors never got a look in , amazing . Would he ( if ever signed ) recognise the strength of the Dragon juniors and actually use them ? I don't know . But he did do the same at Manly as he did at the Bulldogs . As they say - it's a bit hard for a leopard to change its spots .

By saying what I have said , I believe that the man is a very good coach , but perhaps he would not be the best fit here at the Dragons . More so , when you consider that here at St.George Illawarra , we have some of the best juniors in the NRL and it would be a damn shame not to use them to their full potential .
spot on I totally agree with all you have said.

jak

Bench
Hello.. Bulldogs ran us into the ground in ISP. Not sure how much Hasler had to do with it though, but it was embarrassing.
yes we were so hard to beat last year in the isp, how have the dogs holden cup side gone since des has been there. as gareth 67 says des signs the big names stuff the rest.

Drag Queen

Bench
yes we were so hard to beat last year in the isp, how have the dogs holden cup side gone since des has been there. as gareth 67 says des signs the big names stuff the rest.
Um?? Not sure Des had much to do with NYC to be honest jak. We have Millward taking care of our juniors. McGregor wouldn't have a clue about recruiting young talent, much like Des.

possm

Coach
Um?? Not sure Des had much to do with NYC to be honest jak. We have Millward taking care of our juniors. McGregor wouldn't have a clue about recruiting young talent, much like Des.
Millward is our recruitment officer and he gave us McCrone as our first choice halfback. Talk about wasting another season - 2017 - without a top notch halfback. We should have bought a halfback on a one year deal using Benji and McCrone's salary.

jak

Bench
all first grade coaches would or should be keeping an eye on all grades as should fans in my mind its all about the club not just first grade.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Or me ...................... well maybe .............

sub-buzz-6697-1486825235-8.jpg

possm

Coach
all first grade coaches would or should be keeping an eye on all grades as should fans in my mind its all about the club not just first grade.

Yes I remember going to the SCG or Kogarah and watching all three grades with Rugby League week at hand. It was great to see juniors progress and the latest recruit make his way through to first grade. Happily we are moving in the right direction in 2018 with reserve grade being reinstated.

giboz71

First Grade
Millward is our recruitment officer and he gave us McCrone as our first choice halfback. Talk about wasting another season - 2017 - without a top notch halfback. We should have bought a halfback on a one year deal using Benji and McCrone's salary.

McCrone wasn’t our first choice half last year. Hutch was. And we had likely already started negotiations with Hunt before the season started so there was no point signing another half for 2017.

Hutch doing his ACL before the season even started pretty much screwed our season as it meant useless McCrone as our first choice half, and no recognised back up.

And no, Mann has no business playing in the halves.

jak

Bench
Yes I remember going to the SCG or Kogarah and watching all three grades with Rugby League week at hand. It was great to see juniors progress and the latest recruit make his way through to first grade. Happily we are moving in the right direction in 2018 with reserve grade being reinstated.
they were the days top deck noble stand at least every second week match of the day.

Latest posts