What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 team

Knight Vision

First Grade
I don't mean to underrate Lillyman, I am a fan, I just don't know if he's as explosive as someone like Ese'ese. So good to be having conversations like this about legitimate first graders.
I think the Dan and Jacob coming on for spell together would be a sight to behold.

Old dog

Juniors
If I was sole selector of the props would start with Ese'ese, as promised, and Lillyman for experience the interchange with Dan and Jacob who have stated that they want and feel better on field together, everyone is happy.

Johns Magic

Referee
I'd hate to waste Dans engine on a bench spot, but it may come to that for the balance of the team, yeah. Great "problem" to have.

I don't necessarily think a bench spot means less minutes. Look at Reagan Campbell-Gillard this year. His minutes increased when he came off the bench.

Regardless I don't think that having a "solid" type of guy coming off the bench is a bad thing. And Ese'ese relished the starting role last year, had his best games there from memory.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Thank goodness the days of commentators thinking Gagai was our best player are over too
LOL - heard Peter Tunks on Talkin' Sport in the last day or 2 still banging on about Gaigai (the messiah) being the best thing since sliced bread for the Bunnies next year and how stupid the Knights were to let him go....maybe I should have sent him my LU sig and suggested that was a more appropriate consideration of Gaigai from the Knights point of view:D:D:D

knightsarmy

Juniors
i haven't been this excited since '14 and that's when I thought we would win that year...wrong end of scale

I'm still worried about a couple of players & Issues
Kalyn Ponga - 1st season fulltime and as fullback - it took Rossdog awhile to adapt to that posistion
Connor Watson - again unproven as full time & as 5/8
Both rookie players in 1st grade , potential but not proven

Goal Kicker - no recognised person with high goalkicking %

Myself I think Brock Lamb should be starting 5/8 and the first choice goalkicker
Connor Watson should be #14 and a great utility at that

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I saw some stats this morning which brought home just how good Lamb went during our three late season wins at the end of the year. He was involved in a lot of try and line break assists during thay period. Browns hands are tied relating to Watson getting first shot at number 6. It wouldn't surprise me if after 5 or 6 weeks that watson will move to centre with Sione moving back to the forwards.

Yosh

Coach
i haven't been this excited since '14 and that's when I thought we would win that year...wrong end of scale

I'm still worried about a couple of players & Issues
Kalyn Ponga - 1st season fulltime and as fullback - it took Rossdog awhile to adapt to that posistion
Connor Watson - again unproven as full time & as 5/8
Both rookie players in 1st grade , potential but not proven

Goal Kicker - no recognised person with high goalkicking %

Myself I think Brock Lamb should be starting 5/8 and the first choice goalkicker
Connor Watson should be #14 and a great utility at that

I think it's a great time to blood them. We aren't expected to do well and with Pearce taking the brunt of the media spotlight, even if things go wrong, not much blame will be put on those two. They'll make their mistakes, learn and hopefully become strong players for it. No pressure and they'll be in a set up that will try to make the best of their talents.

Spot On

Coach
I think there's very little doubt that Lamb improved out of sight in all areas over last season. His defence, which he obviously worked extremely hard on, was pretty darn good late in the season compared to the first few months. For a really young bloke he certainly showed great desire to improve in all areas of his game. That improvement in defensive technique showed me that a player can adress an area of weakness and make huge gains if they are really want to. That is something that could not be said about some of the players Brown moved on.

Lamb has the smarts imo and he could be very, very good in the future.

Last edited:

Old dog

Juniors
The good thing is that whatever the starting 13+4 is we are overall stronger and with great potential to improve as season progresses that you've got to be looking forward to season start even if it's not you're selected 13+4.

Old dog

Juniors
I think Sione is our best option at this stage with the possibility that one of the younger centres will fire up and put pressure on, might not have Moga for trials and early comp games.
We don't lose anything in the forwards with Guerra etc so pack will be stronger than last season.

Still Nutty

Juniors
I think Sione will fire up at centre and go well. His stint in the BR may well have given him more confidence to read defence on the edge
I think Brownie, and Freddy Fittler with his selection in the emerging Blues squad, have a lot of faith in his ability and potential. I do hope that translates into him being selected and settled into this role for the season and him having a real chance to develop that potential.

While I don't expect him to be a seasoned performing Centre from week 1, I think this is going to be a really pivotal year for Sione to realise that potential with consistently improving performances and give his NRL career a clear and definitive direction for the future.

Knight Vision

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/328b30c633c183e9366e5388825d4eb2

Not a bad estimate although I'm thinking Ese'ese to start with Lillyman and Dan on the bench. Jacob to reserves and Griffin to start with Levi coming on after 20.

THE BEST 17

1. Kalyn Ponga

2. Nathan Ross

3. Sione Mata’utia

4. Tautau Moga

5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall

6. Connor Watson

7. Mitchell Pearce

8. Herman Ese’ese

9.Slade Griffin

10. Jacob Lillyman

11. Aidan Guerra