What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your world 11 in all three formats

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Tests:

1. Azhar Ali
2. David Warner
3. Steve Smith
4. Virat Kohli
5. Kane Williamson
6. Quinton de Kock
7. Shakib al Hasan
8. Ravi Ashwin
9. Vernon Philander
10. Mitchell Starc
11. Kagiso Rabada

Tough choice between Philander and Hazlewood. But I can't ignore Vernon's sub 22 avg; plus he's also a very handy lower order batsman.

Also Shakib has to be there. Great test player. I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned more but then playing for the Bangas you tend to fly under the radar.

Nice comments Tommy.

Azhar Ali really aint done much in SA, Eng or NZ. But that opening spot has no standout candidate at the moment. Maybe Elgar or Markram take it this summer.

I'm guessing that you wanted some lower order batting but I'm not convinced on Starc and Ashwin both beating out Haze, Morkel, Lyon, and Wagner. But these 4 are light on batting.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
ICC official teams

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/597047

ICC Men’s Test Team of the Year 2017 (in batting order):

1. Dean Elgar (South Africa)
  2. David Warner (Australia)
  3. Virat Kohli (captain) (India)
  4. Steve Smith (Australia)
  5. Cheteshwar Pujara (India)
  6. Ben Stokes (England)
  7. Quinton de Kock (wicket-keeper) (South Africa)
  8. Ravichandran Ashwin (India)
  9. Mitchell Starc (Australia)
  10. Kagiso Rabada (South Africa)
  11. James Anderson (England)
ICC Men’s ODI Team of the Year 2017 (in batting order):

1. David Warner (Australia)
  2. Rohit Sharma (India)
  4. Babar Azam (Pakistan)
  5. AB de Villiers (South Africa)
  6. Quinton de Kock (wicket-keeper) (South Africa)
  7. Ben Stokes (England)
  8. Trent Boult (New Zealand)
  9. Hasan Ali (Pakistan)
  10. Rashid Khan (Afghanistan)
  11. Jasprit Bumrah (India)

Fair enough I guess - personally without checking stats I'd have Williamson over Pujara - Pujara is a beast in India - Trenty will be surprise at batting #8

ANTiLAG

First Grade
ICC official teams

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/597047

ICC Men’s Test Team of the Year 2017 (in batting order):

1. Dean Elgar (South Africa)
  2. David Warner (Australia)
  4. Steve Smith (Australia)
  5. Cheteshwar Pujara (India)
  6. Ben Stokes (England)
  7. Quinton de Kock (wicket-keeper) (South Africa)
  8. Ravichandran Ashwin (India)
  9. Mitchell Starc (Australia)
  10. Kagiso Rabada (South Africa)
  11. James Anderson (England)
ICC Men’s ODI Team of the Year 2017 (in batting order):

1. David Warner (Australia)
  2. Rohit Sharma (India)
  4. Babar Azam (Pakistan)
  5. AB de Villiers (South Africa)
  6. Quinton de Kock (wicket-keeper) (South Africa)
  7. Ben Stokes (England)
  8. Trent Boult (New Zealand)
  9. Hasan Ali (Pakistan)
  10. Rashid Khan (Afghanistan)
  11. Jasprit Bumrah (India)

Fair enough I guess - personally without checking stats I'd have Williamson over Pujara - Pujara is a beast in India - Trenty will be surprise at batting #8

I don't really mind KW not being in the team. NZ is easy to overlook at the best of times and we played far fewer tests. Its just another solid year for KW. I think Wagner prolly got the closest from a NZ p.o.v.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...6;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...6;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

I wouldn't mind an explanation why NZ still gets less tests these days than SL or WI though. I'm beginning to think our Board is useless at negotiating. This 15 month plus "year" time frame cut right accross two NZ home summers, so its not the timing, and last home summer, included entirely, was our biggest home test schedule ever with 7 home tests, and we're still behind WL and SL!!!!

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Dean Elgar seems odd to me. Around about this time of year last year, he played a very good Test match in Dunedin and then was rubbish for the rest of the series. Aside from a couple of very decent scores against Bangladesh towards the end of last year, what has he really done?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Dean Elgar seems odd to me. Around about this time of year last year, he played a very good Test match in Dunedin and then was rubbish for the rest of the series. Aside from a couple of very decent scores against Bangladesh towards the end of last year, what has he really done?
1128 runs at 53.71, 5 centuries including 2 away (NZ + England). Often held the batting together when others were getting out.

No brainer for 2017

Meth

Staff member
1128 runs at 53.71, 5 centuries including 2 away (NZ + England). Often held the batting together when others were getting out.

No brainer for 2017

61.6 v Sri Lanka in SA (series ended mid Jan 2017)

44.16 v NZ

36.37 v England

110 v Bangladesh

NZ and England are probably the best gauges of his 2017, right?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
61.6 v Sri Lanka in SA (series ended mid Jan 2017)

44.16 v NZ

36.37 v England

110 v Bangladesh

NZ and England are probably the best gauges of his 2017, right?
Anyone else you'd like to bring forward?

Anyone else in the history of the game with better records against lesser nations than England and New Zealand?

That's the best gauge, right?

JJ

Immortal
Elgar is an obvious selection in team of the year - as I said above I reckon they've done pretty well - I like Pujara, but like Warner he simply can't bat away - but Warner got those runs against Bangers to quieten some of us.

For me Pujara and Stokes (Williams and Shaqib) are the biggest points of debate - Aussies won't like Ashwin and Anderson, but I don't think Anderson can be left out - Lyon, Herath are options I guess, or a pace bowler if Shaqib was in

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Elgar is an obvious selection in team of the year - as I said above I reckon they've done pretty well - I like Pujara, but like Warner he simply can't bat away - but Warner got those runs against Bangers to quieten some of us.

For me Pujara and Stokes (Williams and Shaqib) are the biggest points of debate - Aussies won't like Ashwin and Anderson, but I don't think Anderson can be left out - Lyon, Herath are options I guess, or a pace bowler if Shaqib was in
Starc for mine is a query - I don't think he was even the best Australian paceman last year. Was he picked because he's a lefty?

Warner is a bit dodgy too but there was no one else stepping up.

Anderson had to be selected, had a fine 2017. The bulk of wickets gets ashwin in but until he takes wickets outside India he's always going to have question marks over him.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Starc for mine is a query - I don't think he was even the best Australian paceman last year. Was he picked because he's a lefty?

Warner is a bit dodgy too but there was no one else stepping up.

Anderson had to be selected, had a fine 2017. The bulk of wickets gets ashwin in but until he takes wickets outside India he's always going to have question marks over him.

Lefty? I hope not. There's an argument for Boult or Wagner if leftie is the criteria excluding Hazelwood from contention.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...6;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling

I think its more 'reputational', Hazelwood and Wagner have not "earned" their global reputations yet as star fast bowlers. Although, Hazelwood certainly has if I were the judge.

Iafeta

Referee
Tests:

1. Azhar Ali
2. David Warner
3. Steve Smith
4. Virat Kohli
5. Kane Williamson
6. Quinton de Kock
7. Shakib al Hasan
8. Ravi Ashwin
9. Vernon Philander
10. Mitchell Starc
11. Kagiso Rabada

Tough choice between Philander and Hazlewood. But I can't ignore Vernon's sub 22 avg; plus he's also a very handy lower order batsman.

Also Shakib has to be there. Great test player. I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned more but then playing for the Bangas you tend to fly under the radar.

Is Ravi the right man to handle the responsibilities of batting at #8??

Meth

Staff member
I don't see how Williamson can be selected batting 5. He doesn't bat at 5 and hasn't since 2012. I get you want to accomodate him and would rather have him in the team than not, but he bats at 3. He's not like Smith, or Pujara, or Kohli who bat 3 or 4.