What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triple J To Change The Hottest 100 Date

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I'd love to be able to listen to Triple J, they give young Aussie Talent a chance and you hear a good mix of styles...

But I cannot for the life of me sit there and listen to the boring as batsh*t hipster presenters all day... They all sound exactly the same and its just the same mundane crap all the time, no personality whatsoever... problem is most of the other FM stations the presenters are over the top and annoying as F*CK! can't these stations just find people to host shows who aren't complete and utter bell-ends?

I also can't stand the fanboys of the station who shove it down your throat all the time, about being out of the mainstream. Especially around Top 100 time think they are gods gift for listening to a certain music station... its a bloody music countdown FFS...

Also this new style of Rap/Hip-Hop style where its just like chanting such as what Kendrick Lamar has brought out and seems to be every second song on the radio now is utter dross.

Mong

Post Whore
Gen & Lewis are amusing, as is Veronica when she was/is there.

Ben & Liam are decent too, matt & Alex were way better though.

Danish

Referee
I'd love to be able to listen to Triple J, they give young Aussie Talent a chance and you hear a good mix of styles...

But I cannot for the life of me sit there and listen to the boring as batsh*t hipster presenters all day... They all sound exactly the same and its just the same mundane crap all the time, no personality whatsoever... problem is most of the other FM stations the presenters are over the top and annoying as F*CK! can't these stations just find people to host shows who aren't complete and utter bell-ends?

I also can't stand the fanboys of the station who shove it down your throat all the time, about being out of the mainstream. Especially around Top 100 time think they are gods gift for listening to a certain music station... its a bloody music countdown FFS...

Also this new style of Rap/Hip-Hop style where its just like chanting such as what Kendrick Lamar has brought out and seems to be every second song on the radio now is utter dross.

The “triple J is so alternative/non-mainstream” crowd are hilarious, particularly when you consider the winner is rarely not a track that has been thoroughly f**ked out on commercial radio anyway

Mong

Post Whore
I think the casual listener who votes causes issues with what becomes number one. There has been many years where the tracks leading up to number one are far better than the number 1.

Doesn't really change that the station is "alternative" or mostly not mainstream.

Danish

Referee
I think the casual listener who votes causes issues with what becomes number one. There has been many years where the tracks leading up to number one are far better than the number 1.

Doesn't really change that the station is "alternative" or mostly not mainstream.

Generally though the people who so enjoy talking about how alternative triple J is are the casual listening type who also skew the voting.

Besides which, I mainly just enjoying riling up my triple J listening mates

Mong

Post Whore
Last day to vote in the latest non Australia Day version of the hottest 100 countdown. Don't miss out!!

I know Butch will be all over this already and have his hottest 100 countdown party ready and organised.

*edit* Attention to detail fail. Thought this was in 4c's :)

Am expecting Tones and I will feature heavily at the pointy end of the countdown.

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
I just watched the music video for the number 1 song...sigh. I knew there was a reason I don’t listen to the radio anymore.

Xcalibre

Juniors
I haven’t listened to jjj regularly in my lifetime until a couple of years ago. I only get a few stations where I live and it was probably the best choice, to play in my shed while working. the only others were opera/classical (fine but not often in the mood) and pop/classic rock.

I even voted in the 100 last year or the year before, which I’ve never bothered to in the past. In the last year though, I’ve gotten more and more sick of the way almost all the hosts carry on and the quality of the music or lack thereof has been wanting.

They still play some decent music but the majority is contemporary hipster shit that has no semblance of being enjoyable to listen to. Modern “hip hop” isn’t in the same ballpark as acts I grew up listening to (NWA, The Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Ice T etc). This trend of mumble rapping or singing is a sad excuse for “music” and Billy Eilish was voted the best of 2019 for it.

Kudos to the youth of today (an awesome band btw) for completely ruining music. Lolz.

jim_57

Staff member
I haven’t listened to jjj regularly in my lifetime until a couple of years ago. I only get a few stations where I live and it was probably the best choice, to play in my shed while working. the only others were opera/classical (fine but not often in the mood) and pop/classic rock.

I even voted in the 100 last year or the year before, which I’ve never bothered to in the past. In the last year though, I’ve gotten more and more sick of the way almost all the hosts carry on and the quality of the music or lack thereof has been wanting.

They still play some decent music but the majority is contemporary hipster shit that has no semblance of being enjoyable to listen to. Modern “hip hop” isn’t in the same ballpark as acts I grew up listening to (NWA, The Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Ice T etc). This trend of mumble rapping or singing is a sad excuse for “music” and Billy Eilish was voted the best of 2019 for it.

Kudos to the youth of today (an awesome band btw) for completely ruining music. Lolz.

I don't mind it to get some new music to listen to even if there is a bit to filter through.

I still managed to find a good core of 40-50 songs I liked/really liked this last year, there is still quality there to be found in my opinion. In saying that I decided to do a mock-up 'shortlist' for the hottest 100 of the decade and 90% of the songs that made mine were 2015 or earlier.

I went away from listening to triple j for a few years 2016-2018 and found all my music online. One thing I have noticed (may have imagined) since starting again is that there is such a desperate push to make us believe Australian music is better than it is a lot of the time. I mean there always has been but it seems more desperate now without decent acts like Powderfinger, Silverchair etc to rely on. Some great international acts get pretty much ignored so we hear Lime Cordial, Montaigne, Ocean Alley or Dean Lewis 28183910 times a day.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think bad guy is a relatively good pop song. It sums up jjj that this huge hit single wins the hottest 100 though.

That said its a youth radio station and most of us are old men

bileduct

Coach
I checked out from Triple J when "aussie hip hop" became a thing.

That said, Bad Guy is a pretty good song compared to the rest of the shit in the hot 100.

Xcalibre

Juniors
I can’t stand Eilish. Mostly because of her style of “singing” and her music, but there’s probably resentment for other reasons too. The amount of hype she gets (not her fault) is one. Glad I didn’t listen to the h100 this year. When I was a regular listener I remember Eilish being introduced by the hosts as this great new talent of just 15 or 16 years. That doesn’t seem very long ago. Well she won a grammy for one of the big awards recently, so clearly people think she’s revolutionary lol.

As for the station in general, I listened to some CDs while driving today, but there’s only so many times one can take a CD skipping. My car stereo does this with every CD, hence I was listening to the radio as well. At least they had Hockey Dad live from Laneway festival. And Sally and Erica were on and I haven’t started to hate them (yet). Lucy Smith was on before, she’s alright too.

As for aus music Jim, I think it’s pretty good right now. Off the top of my head, aussie bands I listen to...

DZ Deathrays
Amyl and the Sniffers
The Chats
Hockey Dad
Skeggss
Violent Soho
Lizzard Wizzard (mad sludge band and not King Gizard’s band, but they’re ok too)
The Press Club
Waax
Red Riders
Polish Club
The Smith Street Band

There’s probably plenty more I can’t remember right now. I’ve been a record collector for 30 years and this is possibly the best era for ausmusic I’ve seen imo.

Latest posts