What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty re-signs until end of 2019

Crush

Coach
What i can't understand is why it's only a 1year dear why not longer?
Because he still hasn't proven himself at NRL level. If we sign him longterm and he doesn't make the step-up we are stuck with him.
Also, from Duftys side, if he does turn out to be one of the best fullbacks in the game then he can negotiate a much bigger contract from 2020 onwards. It works both ways.
Its all up to him now. I have a feeling that he will be a weapon.

KiamaSaint

Coach
What i can't understand is why it's only a 1year dear why not longer?
Both parties are keeping their options open for the future. It kind of makes sense as the Dragons have some good young backs coming through, but you are right, if he kicks on this year we will be kicking ourselves.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty extends Dragons contract
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 1 Feb 2018, 06:55 AM

St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty has extended his stay with the club for a further season.

Dufty, who was off-contract in 2018, will now remain at the Dragons until at least the end of the 2019 season.

The 22-year-old made his NRL debut in Round 20 and went on to play in the Dragons' final seven games of the season.

"It's great to be here for another year. I thought being at the Dragons was the best opportunity for me moving forward in my rugby league career," Dufty said.

"Last season was a big milestone in my life and moving forward to 2018 I'm very excited with the position I currently find myself in.

"It means the world to be where I'm at now. Coming through the St George ranks and being a local junior, it's great to be able to remind kids that you can play for the team you dreamed of playing for."

Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward was pleased to retain yet another local junior in the Dragons' top squad.

"It's always good news when a local junior re-signs. To lock him in for another 12 months is really good considering the amount of young kids we have in our squad," Millward said.

"Anyone who is a Dragons fan would know that Matt is one of the most exciting Under-20s players we've ever had. Last year he made the step up to the NRL and he's had a fantastic pre-season so far.

"There is now an opportunity for Matt to establish himself as a fullback with the other outstanding members of our spine in Gareth Widdop, Ben Hunt and Cameron McInnes.

"It's exciting for us because if he does step up to the mark as we expect him to then we could have a spine that plays together for a very long time."

Dufty's extension follows the likes of Gareth Widdop, Euan Aitken, Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan, Tim Lafai, Kurt Mann, Jason Nightingale, Blake Lawrie, Luciano Leilua and Cameron McInnes to have re-signed with the Dragons over the past 12 months.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/02/01/dufty-extends-dragons-contract/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty signs one-year Dragons extension
Local Sport
r0_0_5184_3456_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

RED V: Dragons Matt Dufty at WIN Stadium. Picture: ROBERT PEET

St George-Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty has put pen to paper on a one-year extension, keeping him at the Dragons until the end of 2019.

The 22-year-old will make up crucial part of the Dragons spine this season after taking over from NSW and Kangaroos representative Josh Dugan near the end of 2017.

Dufty made his debut in round 20 before playing a hand in all of the club’s last seven matches.

He was signed until the end of 2018, but opted to extend the deal on the eve of his second NRL campaign.

“I thought being at the Dragons was the best opportunity for me moving forward in my rugby league career," Dufty said.

"Last season was a big milestone in my life and moving forward to 2018 I'm very excited with the position I currently find myself in.

"It means the world to be where I'm at now. Coming through the St George ranks and being a local junior, it's great to be able to remind kids that you can play for the team you dreamed of playing for."

Dufty will more than likely make up part of a promising St George-Illawarra spine which includes new recruit Ben Hunt, Cameron McInnes and Ben Hunt.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5202461/dufty-signs-one-year-dragons-extension/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Matt Dufty re-signs with St George Illawarra Dragons until end of 2019 NRL season
  • Dragon's Den
    r0_265_5184_3191_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Staying put: Penshurst RSL junior Matt Dufty has re-signed with St George Illawarra until the end of 2019. Picture: Robert Peet

• St George Illawarra have continued locking up their best young stars with Matt Dufty extending his contract with the club.

Dufty was out of contract at the end of the upcoming season but will now be at the club at least until the end of 2019.

The 22-year-old Penshurst RSL junior made his first grade debut for the Dragons last season and played St George Illawarra’s final seven games of the campaign.

The Dragons had already re-signed a number of young stars including Luciano Leilua, Blake Lawrie, Cameron McInnes and Euan Aitken as well as established players Gareth Widdop, Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan, Tim Lafai, Kurt Mann and Jason Nightingale in the last year.

“It's great to be here for another year. I thought being at the Dragons was the best opportunity for me moving forward in my rugby league career,” Dufty said.

“Last season was a big milestone in my life and moving forward to 2018 I'm very excited with the position I currently find myself in.

“It means the world to be where I'm at now. Coming through the St George ranks and being a local junior, it's great to be able to remind kids that you can play for the team you dreamed of playing for.”

Dragons’ director of rugby league pathways Ian Millward said he was pleased to retain another local junior in the club’s top squad.

• http://www.theleader.com.au/story/5202313/penshurst-rsl-junior-dufty-re-signs-with-dragons/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
Live-wire Dragons fullback signs contract extension
February 1, 2018 ricky Leave a comment
Tweet
45c5e7a80670b7559ef10b71dae250d7

Matthew Dufty
Hugely talented and highly rated by St George Illawarra Dragons fans, live-wire fullback Matthew Dufty has signed a contract extension with the club.

Off-contract at the end of this upcoming season, the Dragons made the decision to re-sign Dufty until the end of the 2019 season, a 1-year extension.

After making his debut in Rd 20 of the 2017 season, Dufty featured in all of the remaining Dragons games and right now, there is no place he would rather be.

“It’s great to be here for another year. I thought being at the Dragons was the best opportunity for me moving forward in my rugby league career,” Dufty said.

“Last season was a big milestone in my life and moving forward to 2018, I’m very excited about the position I currently find myself in.
A local junior, Dufty is excited to continue his tenure with the club.
“It means the world to be where I’m at now,” Dufty continued.

“Coming through the St George ranks and being a local junior, it’s great to be able to remind kids that you can play for the team you dreamed of playing for.”

Equally pleased are the club, who knows how talented Dufty is and how crucial he is for the club moving forward.

“It’s always good news when a local junior re-signs. To lock him in for another 12 months is really good considering the number of young kids we have in our squad,” Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward said.

“Anyone who is a Dragons fan would know that Matt is one of the most exciting Under-20s players we’ve ever had.

“Last year he made the step up to the NRL and he’s had a fantastic pre-season so far.”

The club also looks forward to seeing Dufty establish himself as a genuine part of their spine.

“There is now an opportunity for Matt to establish himself as a fullback with the other outstanding members of our spine in Gareth Widdop, Ben Hunt and Cameron McInnes,” continued Millward.

“It’s exciting for us because if he does step up to the mark as we expect him to then we could have a spine that plays together for a very long time.”

http://www.nospam09.com/2018/02/01/live-wire-dragons-fullback-signs-contract-extension/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons re-sign Dufty until 2019 season

The Dragons have re-signed young fullback Matt Dufty until the end of the 2019 NRL season.

Updated Updated 2 hours ago
St George Illawarra have moved quickly to extend the contract of promising fullback Matt Dufty until the end of the 2019 NRL season.

Dufty is expected to start the season in the No.1 jumper after playing the final seven games in the crucial position as a rookie last year.

"It's great to be here for another year. I thought being at the Dragons was the best opportunity for me moving forward in my rugby league career," Dufty said on Thursday.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dragons-re-sign-dufty-until-2019-season

TomRedVRiver

Bench
If Dufty kicks on... And we manage to find ourselves a quality outside back to fill Nighy's shoes.. Suddenly our backline is looking classy. Let's just use Koroibete as an example, off contract in 2019 and he represents pace, which is what everybody wants!

1. Dufty
2. Macdonald
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Koroibete
6. Widdop
7. Hunt

Latest posts