What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
I don't think they have much in the way of attacking spark. Besides Hurrell, everyone else is more on the reliable side than game-breakerish.
Well it’s more on the balance of attacking spark and defensive aptitude that I think puts them closer to a sparky team

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
True, but his defence can improve with the right attitude.

Brennan has obviously backed himself to achieve this. It's not like Cartwright (or mateo) lack the mobility to defend on the edge, it's more laziness (and attitude)
I'm sure attitude had something to do with it but they did lack mobility as well. Both big like SBW but without the lateral movement to be safe edge defenders. Tohu Harris is another SBW-type freak who manages to be very tall while still able to defend well out wide.

Or maybe it is just attitude, as you imply, with SBW/Harris working hard to keep the flab off and the cardio up. But there aren't too many quality edge defenders over 1.9m tall.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If we finish 7th this year, 8th next year and Arthur gets punted in season 2020 and we are still without a premiership come 2021 then 2017's top 4 finish means f**k all.... As it does right now to be fair....
The team doesn't exist in a vacuum. We are competing against a number of better resourced clubs. If we punt Brad Arthur because we finish outside the top four for a couple of years we will remain well and truly f**ked. We can finish anywhere from 1st to 8th this year, entirely based on luck. The same can happen next year. Eighth is just as likely as first, IMO. There are plenty of other clubs going for top four and a shot at the title.

If there were 16 coaches as good as Brad Arthur in the NRL one of them would win the comp and one of them would run last each year. Have a think about that. There are other variables than whomever is the coach.

Incorrect

Coach
The team doesn't exist in a vacuum. We are competing against a number of better resourced clubs. If we punt Brad Arthur because we finish outside the top four for a couple of years we will remain well and truly f**ked. We can finish anywhere from 1st to 8th this year, entirely based on luck. The same can happen next year. Eighth is just as likely as first, IMO.
If there were 16 coaches as good as Brad Arthur in the NRL one of them would win the comp and one of them would run last each year. Have a think about that. There are other variables than whomever is the coach.
I think I hear what you're saying...

Stephen Kearney could be as as good as Brad Arthur, and one of them could be the worst coach of all time... I think I know who's who....

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/b18c75275a8528b4e8a3fe03b33895bb

773b131c4e4ac2de879ce4ef2e88226a

Outgoing ALRC boss John Grant wants to go in style. (Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)

GRANT EXIT A DISGRACEFUL SPLASH OF CASH

AT a time when bush clubs are dying and parents are struggling to pay exorbitant junior registration fees, the money being wasted on a farewell for independent commission Chairman John Grant is a disgrace.

Around 200 guests have been invited to a lavish dinner on February 20 at the Museum of Contemporary Art at Circular Quay … a venue with sweeping harbour views and sky high prices to match.

The NRL has clammed up and won’t provide any details about the cost of the event. But the MCA’s website shows that the glamorous Harbourside function room holds up to 200 guests — with dinner packages ranging from $155 to $205 a head.

Even if Grant takes the cheapest option — and that’s unlikely — the night will set back the game more than $30,000 — and that’s before the airfares, limos, flowers, entertainment and all the other trimmings are added to the bill.

Guests will be able to dine on anything from Pomegranate Glazed Quail and Spanner Crab Salad for entrees, through to Organic Chicken and 36-hour Braised Wagyu beef for main course. Plus the beverages including French champagne and our finest wines.

Seriously, the event should be cancelled.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think I hear what you're saying...

Stephen Kearney could be as as good as Brad Arthur, and one of them could be the worst coach of all time... I think I know who's who....
Well you’re the one who struggles to understand why wooden spoon winners like Kearney, Stuart and Brown still have jobs, while premiership winners like Hagan, Maguire and Hasler do not.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/b18c75275a8528b4e8a3fe03b33895bb

Outgoing ALRC boss John Grant wants to go in style. (Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)

AT a time when bush clubs are dying and parents are struggling to pay exorbitant junior registration fees, the money being wasted on a farewell for independent commission Chairman John Grant is a disgrace.

Around 200 guests have been invited to a lavish dinner on February 20 at the Museum of Contemporary Art at Circular Quay … a venue with sweeping harbour views and sky high prices to match.

The NRL has clammed up and won’t provide any details about the cost of the event. But the MCA’s website shows that the glamorous Harbourside function room holds up to 200 guests — with dinner packages ranging from $155 to $205 a head.

Even if Grant takes the cheapest option — and that’s unlikely — the night will set back the game more than $30,000 — and that’s before the airfares, limos, flowers, entertainment and all the other trimmings are added to the bill.

Guests will be able to dine on anything from Pomegranate Glazed Quail and Spanner Crab Salad for entrees, through to Organic Chicken and 36-hour Braised Wagyu beef for main course. Plus the beverages including French champagne and our finest wines.

Glazed Quail?

Where does this merkin get off eating poor defenceless birds?

He really is a f**ken turd.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

A knobend right to the end, the prick should of gone out tarred and feathered not some lavish dinner in his honour.

Glenneel

Bench
Just shows how keeping some cap space available and being patience is a good strategy, good players always come available.

I reckon we will pick up a quality forward sometime this year.
Don't be too sure Josh. According to Gurr we have less money left than many people think. Makes you wonder where all our money has gone as we have very few stars. Norman, Moses and Mennings on $800k each plus Hayne $500k so $3m there so over $6.5m left for players where none are stars and none over $500k you would expect. In fact most wouldn't be over $300k you'd think (except Mannah who I've heard is paid well north of $600k). A lot of our player's contracts end at the end of this season so hopefully those paid excessive amounts will be adjusted well down to match their performance or they finish their careers.

84 Baby

Referee
Don't be too sure Josh. According to Gurr we have less money left than many people think. Makes you wonder where all our money has gone as we have very few stars. Norman, Moses and Mennings on $800k each plus Hayne $500k so $3m there so over $6.5m left for players where none are stars and none over $500k you would expect. In fact most wouldn't be over $300k you'd think (except Mannah who I've heard is paid well north of $600k). A lot of our player's contracts end at the end of this season so hopefully those paid excessive amounts will be adjusted well down to match their performance or they finish their careers.
I’ve heard that Mannah is on a million per eyebrow. If he ever gets a wax we’re in trouble