What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women's NRL

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Correct! Roy Masters called them out on this on Offsiders. Carro didn't like it but it is true. His point was that the women's NRL is only using players with rugby league in their blood.

BTW I actually like the angle our game is taking with the women's version. The world cup was a joint tournament with a men's and women's event and now they seem to be following the same path with NRL, SuperLeague and State of Origin. There is one banner with a men's and women's event - like the Olympics or Grand Slam Tennis.

Don’t watch offsides but had seen a article probably from Masters say the same thing about aflw stealing from other sports. A concerted double prong attack from the Nrl and touchrl needs to happen and engagement in all states of Australia. Marketing touch in a healthy sporting lifestyle kind of way will surely make girls gravitate to the game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Aren't a lot of the afl women recruited in from literally every other sport in the country - nrl, ru 7s, netball, basketball, swimming, athletics, hockey, soccer, cricket???

They have f**k all talent pool without the other sport. Again, AFL with more puff and spin than actual substance.
I really wish this sort of dismissive bullshit was kept in the Cave / TFC.

The AFL fast-tracked the senior competition (rightly or wrongly) which yes, meant attracting *some* marquee talent saw them pull a handful of players from other sports.

Like the NRL, they've been running women's competitions at the second, third and amateur tiers for many years and that's going to bear fruit over time.

The advantage we have in RL is that we have the international game as well, which hopefully continues growing.

I really wish this sort of dismissive bullshit was kept in the Cave / TFC.

The AFL fast-tracked the senior competition (rightly or wrongly) which yes, meant attracting *some* marquee talent saw them pull a handful of players from other sports.

Like the NRL, they've been running women's competitions at the second, third and amateur tiers for many years and that's going to bear fruit over time.

The advantage we have in RL is that we have the international game as well, which hopefully continues growing.

You tell that to girls in SW Sydney happy to be playing netball, soccer and cricket being pestered by Giants folk trying to get them to switch.

Lol. You've got no idea. GWS cretins everywhere wooing any talented girl to play their footy.

Come on out to Fairfield-Liverpool and Bankstown and find them at girls cricket games. But no worries mate.

And SD teen girls soccer. But she'll be apples.

It's all about the options.

Last edited:

Coparugby

Juniors
It’d be a shame if they play these games before the men as the crowds will be tiny.

I’d prefer them to be standalone at a smaller stadium with free entry for season ticket holders of the clubs involved. First in best dressed for seats too

T-Boon

Coach
It’d be a shame if they play these games before the men as the crowds will be tiny.

I am not so sure. If it is done right then they could draw a crowd.

First, they are being called "double headers". That suggests that the NRL and/or clubs may actually promote the early womens game which is obviously not really the case with the old reserve grade or under 20s.

Secondly, I think they should allow free entry to anyone who gets there prior to kick off (or maybe up to as far as half time) in the ladies game. Especially when the game is played at big stadiums.

Timmah

Staff member
Lol. You've got no idea. GWS cretins everywhere wooing any talented girl to play their footy.

Come on out to Fairfield-Liverpool and Bankstown and find them at girls cricket games. But no worries mate.

You continue with your childish code wars rubbish. The rest of us will have an adult discussion :wave:

kbw

Bench
I have worked with 4 female RL teams in the last 12 months. Nearly all the womean/girls coming to RL are coming from other sports. You have to remember that a lot of girls had to stop playing after u12s.
But the main sport they are coming from is oztag

90% of the girls I have seen play have tremendous potential and a lot of skills

I've seen guys in GWS polo shirts with clipboards hanging out at Campbelltown and Liverpool PCYCs.

To say that the AFL isn't more proactive in recruitment of female athletes is f**king absurd.

Fortunately, due to our international appeal and foothold with touch, RL is well positioned going forward. With the right investment and engagement strategy, a WNRL could be the dominant women's domestic sport in the country.

I dunno what Timmah thinks this is if not a code war. A vacuum existed, that's now being filled by organisations competing for the same resource pool. Define war?

Timmah

Staff member
I've seen guys in GWS polo shirts with clipboards hanging out at Campbelltown and Liverpool PCYCs.

To say that the AFL isn't more proactive in recruitment of female athletes is f**king absurd.

Fortunately, due to our international appeal and foothold with touch, RL is well positioned going forward. With the right investment and engagement strategy, a WNRL could be the dominant women's domestic sport in the country.

I dunno what Timmah thinks this is if not a code war. A vacuum existed, that's now being filled by organisations competing for the same resource pool. Define war?
Sitting here and taking potshots at another code for being proactive in trying to attract juniors to their sport serves absolutely zero purpose.

Discussing how or what the NRL could or is doing to combat it - absolutely.

Either way the "juniors being pestered" was a goalpost shift by @The Mad Hatter to distract from the fact he'd not been accurate in a prior post about the AFLW set up.

Put simply - there is more value to this discussion than another 'bag AFL' fest which is better suited to other sections of these forums.

T-Boon

Coach
There are certain girls playing in the WAFL that the WNRL should be trying to recruit to at least club trials or a combine. Playing in a high profile womens rugby league comp opens up world cups and olympics (simple switch to Rugby 7s) as an option.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
There are certain girls playing in the WAFL that the WNRL should be trying to recruit to at least club trials or a combine. Playing in a high profile womens rugby league comp opens up world cups and olympics (simple switch to Rugby 7s) as an option.

Whilst playing international and representative football is a great lure to attract people to WNRL, at the end of the day, to become a professional sport, it has to also be attractive financially. Netball has recently upped the ante with their player payments, AFLW, while in its infancy and at fairly low levels comparatively, has increased year on year to make it more attractive finically.

It would be interesting to see the kind of player investment the league would be making to get sportswomen to see a move to be a professional WNRL player being a viable option.

Jatz15

Juniors
Straight from AFL propaganda central.

The real reason for AFLW was revealed on the weekend. The AFL want $300M from the Vic government to build new ovals to accommodate all the "girls" that are playing the sport.
The real reason is the huge boost in girls playing the sport. These girls will one day be mothers deciding which sport to take their kids to. Its a generational insurance policy.
Everything you are complaining about the AFL doing, the NRL is going to do, because it's the smart thing to do.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The final parts of the sports world has finally woken up to women as players and spectators. The ban on pit girls and ring girls, the push by AFL and NRL to attract female players etc. Surprised it has taken this long given they make up half the population and are often the deciders of household spending and leisure time! Cheergirls will be the next to go in NRL and NFL.

Latest posts